Ban the f**king flags

Welshinexile

Someone in our group brought a flag last year. First time we’ve had one. It was mint. Meant the wider group could converge in a spot together. Someone goes for a wee mid set? Not a problem, see you in 5 mins. Lots of people struggle with the idea of getting lost or separated from the group, this completely solves it. I’ve never really been a fan and wouldn’t want to carry it round myself all weekend, but banning them is ridiculous. Let’s be honest, the views generally shite anyway, people using the Elton John example a lot….He sat there for 3 hours, there’s nothing to see. Shut your eyes, dance and stop crying about flags.

51 minutes ago, countrybumpkin24 said:

Someone in our group brought a flag last year. First time we’ve had one. It was mint. Meant the wider group could converge in a spot together. Someone goes for a wee mid set? Not a problem, see you in 5 mins. Lots of people struggle with the idea of getting lost or separated from the group, this completely solves it. I’ve never really been a fan and wouldn’t want to carry it round myself all weekend, but banning them is ridiculous. Let’s be honest, the views generally shite anyway, people using the Elton John example a lot….He sat there for 3 hours, there’s nothing to see. Shut your eyes, dance and stop crying about flags.

Ah, I'm alright Jack.

Very public spirited of you 😂

I'm in the exclusion zone camp on this one. There should be a certain point to which you're allowed flags, but banned as you get closer to the stage. They do it with seating at some of the stages, so they can do it with flags.

• Upvote 1

Responsible flagging for the win! Small flags only , only elevated when someone is actively trying to find you. 

I have never bothered with one myself , but years ago did attend with a big group where it was helpful to meet up in crowds, so can see the value 

an exclusion zone as mentioned above is an interesting idea. Prob lead to groups meeting further back , lowering, then pushing through to get further forward. So still have concerns with that one 

I guess for some people maybe it isn’t solely about trying to meet up effectively, some want to be able to try and pick themselves out on telly or similar too 

Edited by internetjef

10 hours ago, al_coholic said:

Disagree. The flags are completely unacceptable and totally selfish. Sadly Emily has not got the balls to bam them. 

My Agreement is based on the fact the festival did a vote on this and people voted for flags. 

Love or hate them now flags are here to stay. 

People need to let go of the idea they can kick of on the internet and get there own way on this  

Flags should stay.

They're great for finding people, adds to the atmosphere and are interesting to look at.

Well I would say that as I'm autistic and happen to have a huge interest in flags. 😂

Edited by ourkid1984
Pressed send too quick

46 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

My Agreement is based on the fact the festival did a vote on this and people voted for flags. 

Love or hate them now flags are here to stay. 

People need to let go of the idea they can kick of on the internet and get there own way on this  

Well if the people voted for it then it must be ok

I've never taken a flag myself (although I'm considering buying a small telescopic flag this year to just pop up in them moments that a mate is trying to find me, I certainly couldn't be arsed holding one up for ages for no reason).

However, I personally love the way the sea of flags looks at the stages and wouldn't want to change it to improve my view of the stage a bit. I think they look incredible 😅. Really not that bothered about seeing tiny ant-figured humans on the stage from where I'm standing and would prefer to just look at the screens and take in the views around me. Just my opinion though.

Edited by turkey twizzler

48 minutes ago, ourkid1984 said:

Flags should stay.

They're great for finding people, adds to the atmosphere and are interesting to look at.

Well I would say that as I'm autistic and happen to have a huge interest in flags. 😂

Your phones work perfectly fine at the festival. You can find people much easier. 

ban them or make the screens at each stage bigger so you can see the performers if youre standing in the back. Better yet, get better PA's gor each stage so you can hear performers.

6 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Your phones work perfectly fine at the festival. You can find people much easier. 

ban them or make the screens at each stage bigger so you can see the performers if youre standing in the back. Better yet, get better PA's gor each stage so you can hear performers.

Phone coverage has always been unreliable for me or some of my group. Also when they do work the conversation isn't much good:

"Yeah, I'm here by that guy tye dye top." 

"Which one, there's thousands!" 😂

1 hour ago, ourkid1984 said:

Phone coverage has always been unreliable for me or some of my group. Also when they do work the conversation isn't much good:

"Yeah, I'm here by that guy tye dye top." 

"Which one, there's thousands!" 😂

Surely you'd use what 3 words or equivalent? 

2 hours ago, turkey twizzler said:

I've never taken a flag myself (although I'm considering buying a small telescopic flag this year to just pop up in them moments that a mate is trying to find me, I certainly couldn't be arsed holding one up for ages for no reason).

However, I personally love the way the sea of flags looks at the stages and wouldn't want to change it to improve my view of the stage a bit. I think they look incredible 😅. Really not that bothered about seeing tiny ant-figured humans on the stage from where I'm standing and would prefer to just look at the screens and take in the views around me. Just my opinion though.

The earlier pages included some examples from right after the festival where due to the tv coverage there's an aspect now where it's not just individuals, but there are some folks using it for free advertising. Some gym as I recall, plus a particular radio station that gets half a dozen big ones to gather. 

Look at photos from ten to fifteen years ago and they were often amusing and individualistic. Now at some points it just means the tens of thousands further back can't see the stage or even what's on the screens. 

There are other events that do things about them, maybe during show or before certain points. 

Maybe they won't do anything...but I don't mind having a moan 😊

Edited by clarkete

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The vote was - what? - 10 years ago now. No harm in another one.

I've been going much longer than that, and I've never known anything about a vote lol. Was it just people attending who took part? Because if everyone voted I can see why, because the flags look cool on telly, then you get a perfect camera shot of the act. Not so easy when you're there where the flags are obscuring the stage AND the TV screens.

Edited by CharlotteB

Never had a flag and never been bothered by them either but I honestly can’t imagine being that uptight that flags make you angry at Glastonbury, of all places!

• Upvote 2

They certainly add to the spectacle and look great on tv but a sea of them close to the stage does obliterate the screen view for many folk further back. Maybe stopping them being too near the front but how do you enforce that?  The ones on the short poles are also a problem. We need longer poles! 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

So 14 years ago. No harm in re-polling the electorate

Just think of it like Brexit or Scottish Independance…. They tested the will of the people on an arbitrary date and the result will be binding forever more. 

H

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

They certainly add to the spectacle and look great on tv but a sea of them close to the stage does obliterate the screen view for many folk further back. Maybe stopping them being too near the front but how do you enforce that?  The ones on the short poles are also a problem. We need longer poles! 

Flags over a certain height only would be one of the most strangest rules ever made! 😂

4 minutes ago, stuie said:

Just think of it like Brexit or Scottish Independance…. They tested the will of the people on an arbitrary date and the result will be binding forever more. 

if you check the poll theres even some Russian interference