Avalon

sprocketrocket

The bar isn't as good as it used to be, I preferred the old layout. But there is more seating. 

The Helter Skelter has moved to by the pier, if you look on the webcam

I think they had to make changes to the layout because they were putting on bigger legacy bands and the crowds were getting silly. They frequently have to close off the whole area

4 minutes ago, sprocketrocket said:

Not been for a few years... What have they done to Avalon? There's no helter-skelter! The new set up feels less inviting (not just because of the helter skelter).

Helter skelter moved to Glastonbury on sea, avalon cafe no longer a cafe just a small stage that’s moved to the bottom of the field.  It gets mobbed when bigger acts are playing. But still a decent bar! 

The old layout with the cafe and cafe stage down the right hand side was a better layout for me.

Its lost that old summer fate kind of feel to it and the lack of food vendors didn't help.

I'm sure the priority has been given to selling more drink from the avalon inn than the feel of the place.

I suppose its just the way how the priority's of the festival are slowly changing.

• Like 1

Am I right in thinking the accessibility viewing platform and screen was new. They also had new repeaters so the sound was better further back. I would guess the improvements helped with the big crowds they sometimes get but no Avalon Café (as in the selling food part) was a loss. Used to be a good place to get a sit down breakfast. 

56 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Am I right in thinking the accessibility viewing platform and screen was new. They also had new repeaters so the sound was better further back. I would guess the improvements helped with the big crowds they sometimes get but no Avalon Café (as in the selling food part) was a loss. Used to be a good place to get a sit down breakfast. 

Yes, screens definitely new

Yeah - missed the old village fete kind of atmosphere.

Also - it's now behind the SE Corner one-way system much to my surprise. Went to see Track Dogs one night and was blocked from entry. My girlfriend can be really belligerent so she argued our way in eventually! - but poor Track Dogs were playing to an empty tent since no-one could get in!

1 hour ago, Fearless_Fish said:

Yeah - missed the old village fete kind of atmosphere.

Also - it's now behind the SE Corner one-way system much to my surprise. Went to see Track Dogs one night and was blocked from entry. My girlfriend can be really belligerent so she argued our way in eventually! - but poor Track Dogs were playing to an empty tent since no-one could get in!

I thought they'd cut it out of the one way system this year? You could get in by walking up the side of Glasto Latino during the day, did they block that off at night?

32 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I thought they'd cut it out of the one way system this year? You could get in by walking up the side of Glasto Latino during the day, did they block that off at night?

I don't think they did, but a lot of people ignored that path because they thought it was a hospitality/backstage entrance, or just missed it

They blocked it off the one night we headed there after headliners on Saturday night.

Its annoying as it's somewhere we sometimes like to hang out and chill after the madness, and usually catch something fun. Going through the one way system is the antithesis of chilling out and would remove it as an option for us moving forward

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Superscally said:

Went to the bar once this year. Middle of day. Absolutely f**king rammed. Nah. Victim of own success. Lost its charm.

Yeah, I dropped in there on Thursday afternoon trying to get some respite from the sun and it was mobbed.... Then returned on Saturday night to see Vintage Trouble and the tent was half empty.. (Mel C was on before and I saw the last couple of her set from the Avalon Inn on the big screen they have on the outside of the tent!!

The field is basically now just a large tent and a bar.. to your point a little charmless compared to what it used to be... If they are going to keep that set-up (I wasnt there in 2022 so dont know what it was then) then they will have to find some big acts to play in there..

Anyone know what the new capacity is vs the old.? 

On 6/27/2023 at 12:10 PM, bucko said:

The old layout with the cafe and cafe stage down the right hand side was a better layout for me.

Its lost that old summer fate kind of feel to it and the lack of food vendors didn't help.

I'm sure the priority has been given to selling more drink from the avalon inn than the feel of the place.

I suppose its just the way how the priority's of the festival are slowly changing.

I completely understand your sentiment. The old layout with the cafe and cafe stage on the right side did have a unique charm and that summer fair atmosphere. Changes in layout and vendor priorities can certainly alter the festival's feel. It's possible that the focus on selling more drinks at the Avalon Inn has shifted the dynamics a bit. Festivals often evolve over time, reflecting changing priorities and trends. While it's natural for things to change, it's always nice to reminisce about the aspects we loved from the past. reels saver

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Maibell said:

I completely understand your sentiment. The old layout with the cafe and cafe stage on the right side did have a unique charm and that summer fair atmosphere. Changes in layout and vendor priorities can certainly alter the festival's feel. It's possible that the focus on selling more drinks at the Avalon Inn has shifted the dynamics a bit. Festivals often evolve over time, reflecting changing priorities and trends. While it's natural for things to change, it's always nice to reminisce about the aspects we loved from the past. reels saver

Yes, I liked the old layout but there was always sound bleed from the Avalon to the Avalon cafe when both had acts on.  The  bar has become one of the most popular on site, virtually busy all day and night. The Avalon cafe breakfast egg tea and toast was always a nice way to start the day!