Sticklinch mutiny!

goonerben

We've paid to stay in sticklinch for personal / health reasons... I've been joking and calling it Tory camping, perhaps I'm not that far from the mark. 

Though I never expected anything other than a pre-erected tent and a shorter walk with my beers and clothes.

Is it going to be full of horrible people? 

1 minute ago, sprocketrocket said:

We've paid to stay in sticklinch for personal / health reasons... I've been joking and calling it Tory camping, perhaps I'm not that far from the mark. 

Though I never expected anything other than a pre-erected tent and a shorter walk with my beers and clothes.

I saw Cane Dingle at worthy view last year. 

I'm absolutely not having it that he's a Tory. 

I've done WV since 2015, partly because we had to get there later because of kids and didn't want to scramble for space. It's fairly pleasant. Mostly normal people, maybe a slightly older crowd and a few more families. 

But I've never seen people acting entitled or like Karens. 

15 minutes ago, sprocketrocket said:

I doubt it. One person asking unhappy that a service that was there last year isn't there this year despite a price increase doesn't mean it'll be Tory camping. 

It doesn't seem like they advertised it this year so she can be unhappy but it's not their fault she didn't check before booking. 

23 minutes ago, sprocketrocket said:

WV was just full or normal people last year, just wanting to enjoy the festival a bit more easily than camping on site would be. It's definitely not luxury or posh, it's just staying an a normal tent that someone puts up for you and with slightly nicer toilets and showers you have to queue ages for. I don't see how anyone can define it as Tory, using labels like that tells you more about the people saying it than the people they are describing IMO.

Edited by Johnnyseven

1 minute ago, Johnnyseven said:

WV was just full or normal people last year, just wanting to enjoy the festival a bit more easily than camping on site would be. It's definitely not luxury or posh, it's just staying an a normal tent that someone puts up for you and with slightly nicer toilets and showers you have to queue ages for. I don't see how anyone can define it as Tory, using labels like that tells you more about the people saying it than the people they are describing IMO.

And it's not awful value for what it is. We had one car too big for us. But with 4 of you it's something like £200 each. Which when you consider the convenience isn't awful.

It was fairly normal last year - not overly Tory!  

I went for it because we're bringing (14 and 9yr old) kids - so it gives you a car park in the next field, no need to carry a tent - and they can go to school on Wednesday and come down afterwards, with no need to fight for a spot.  It was £900 this year for a 4-person tent - so £45 per person per night - about the same as a hotel.

There was a "pamper parlour" last year, but I don't think this was advertised at booking time (which was in late 2019 remember!).  And it wasn't advertised on any of the official pages about Sticklinch for this year.  So I think people are reasonable to expect it might be there - but Glastonbury have in no way duped them if it isn't.

Edited by goonerben
Had an additional thought!

39 minutes ago, sprocketrocket said:

We went last year. All the people around us were lovely. It was a surprise treat that I got for my bro (we lost my dad that year and I wanted to do something make it a little extra special after such a crap time). Not having to set up a tent was amazing (we had coach tickets) and the showers were handy in the hot weather. 

Edited by Lucy92

38 minutes ago, sprocketrocket said:

We’re there this year. Took the plunge and looking forward to a change. Sure it’ll be sound.

37 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

I will raise a glass with anyone who can get up that hill after 18 hours on Jesus Juice and mushrooms.  Irrespective of red moleskins and jumper worn round shoulder w*nkiness

1 hour ago, sprocketrocket said:

Potential reasons people pay for this type of camping……

- Come from overseas 

- Don’t own camping equipment 

- Health reasons 

- Logistic reasons, such as not wanting to arrive until later 

- Want more comfort/quieter camping 

Not sure any of these mean you’ll be surrounded by “horrible people”!

48 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

As if watching the reports of vast queues for showers wasn't enough entertainment.

I definitely saw monster queues at WV when I stayed there. Less so at Sticklinch, the shower hours were a lot more generous, bordering on 24h. 

1 hour ago, sprocketrocket said:

I've found both Sticklinch and WV to be ok, with mostly couples. I can't say I saw many kids, but that maybe because I was in the 2 person pod pad or tent section. I'm in 2 person tent this year, it will be covered in fairy lights. Say hi, if you're passing. 

Stayed at sticklinch last year. Would only vote tory if I got kicked in the head by a horse and lost all sense of reasoning. Dont use hair straighteners but I would probably be miffed if I saw they had something like that on last year and found out not this year and booked because of that. Nothing wrong with booking somewhere which caters to your wants. Doesnt always have to be needs. Although not sure it is sticklinch's fault. Shower queues were terrible when I was there. Never used them due to that. 

• Like 1

We are normal and stayed there last year instead of main camping due to health reasons and the car park being next door. There are flushing loos and showers. The pampering parlour charged £5 to use their equipment with some mirrors so it wasn’t like luxury hairdressers or anything ! Not sure why they are making g such a fuss! 🙄

Anyone want to give average walking times to the main stages? Camped in South Park in 08 but haven’t been this side of the site for a long time. Ten minutes to the park feasible without crowds? Expecting pyramid to be a 30 min yomp

1 hour ago, pops1998 said:

On the subject of Sticklinch… does anyone know if they’ll be providing a shuttle bus service from the station to the campsite like they do with Worthy view? I understand they didn’t last year but wondering if it has changed

No shuttle bus to Sticklinch.  It's fairly flat and not too bad a walk (weather/conditions dependent) from Gate A

9 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Anyone want to give average walking times to the main stages? Camped in South Park in 08 but haven’t been this side of the site for a long time. Ten minutes to the park feasible without crowds? Expecting pyramid to be a 30 min yomp

Yeah about 30mins to Pyramid - it’s about 15-20mins to The Other stage. about 10 -15 mins to the park -might be quicker if they have changed some of the access routes this year. It did seem a long way from anywhere so couldn’t really pop back during day - took warm stuff for evening with us but I was a bit limited last year with walking with a stick! 

Why do people bother asking See in the first place?

They're ticket sellers with no input into or knowledge of festival plans. Unless they're specifically advised of something (in which case it'll be on their website anyway), they have no way of knowing and no realistic route to find out.