BBC Coverage 2023

gooner1990

1 minute ago, K2SO said:

I haven't been able to watch anything on iPlayer, just seen odd bits on dodgy online streams! I watched most of AM and GnR and thought they were both shocking.

Loyle Carner right now seems like the best thing I've seen so far.

I was also disappointed with the Christine and the Queens clip. I loved the Chris album, but he's taken a turn away from the pop that I like into a more arty direction, which is a shame but what can you do?

Yeah a lot of the late night stuff has been disappointing, but seen some great sets - Chvrches, Sparks, Leftfield, Third World, & Los Bitchos all worth checking out IMO.

First Glastonbury i've spent at home in a few years now, but enjoying the tv coverage ,seems to have moved on a good bit since i last watched it . I like the option of watching the choice of any of the 5 stages .

Subsequently i probably saw more bands in one day than i would normally see over the whole festival if i were there .

Still rather much rather have been there though, there's nothing quite like it.

Never listened to Chvrches before, but they've been the standout for me so far.

12 minutes ago, Benjsh said:

The Headline acts are all exactly that though. Granted the Monkeys weren't on top form this time but they could only play in one slot realistically. 

I actually think it's a bit more worrying that likes of Dua Lipa and Taylor Swift would be far more popular for many on here. Maybe I'm getting old though but I'm sure many on here would be delighted if the festival went into full V Festival mode. Lewis Capaldi getting a headline size audience says a lot. What is remotely interesting about him? I don't get it at all. 

Don't disagree at all - I haven't been interested in a pyramid headliner for years (apart from The  Cure). But there's usually been great options elsewhere - for my tastes - Foals, Pet Shop Boys, New Order, Flaming Lips, Sigur Ros, LCD Soundsystem, Mogwai, etc. This year, not so much.

Edited by Punksnotdead

2 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Don't disagree at all - I haven't been interested in a pyramid headliner for years (apart from The  Cure). But there's usually been great options elsewhere - for my tastes - Foals, Pet Shop Boys, New Order, Flaming Lips, Sigur Ros, LCD Soundsystem, Mogwai, etc. This year, not so much.

For my money, headliners are vital. My main interest when I go to Glasto is to watch music, and I want to see the biggest and best acts that I can't see anywhere else. This year is the worst trio of headliners for a long while in terms of that.

AM played just another date on their UK tour. GnR played just another date on this never-ending reunion tour. Elton is playing just another date on his farewell tour.

Aside from it being Elton's final UK show, there is no prestige in booking any of these headliners

1 minute ago, K2SO said:

For my money, headliners are vital. My main interest when I go to Glasto is to watch music, and I want to see the biggest and best acts that I can't see anywhere else. This year is the worst trio of headliners for a long while in terms of that.

AM played just another date on their UK tour. GnR played just another date on this never-ending reunion tour. Elton is playing just another date on his farewell tour.

Aside from it being Elton's final UK show, there is no prestige in booking any of these headliners

Again, I agree - but I'm watching from home & I've enjoyed a lot of stuff through most of the day. Just been a bit underwhelmed by the headliners.

7 minutes ago, K2SO said:

How are you going to get a prestige, exclusive act every year? Who would you have had this year that fits that billing?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, devli said:

How are you going to get a prestige, exclusive act every year? Who would you have had this year that fits that billing?

It need to be a Paul McCartney every year, but just a bit more exciting than what we ended up with.

Off the top of my head right now, I'd have gone for Miley Cyrus on the Friday, Bruce Springsteen on the Saturday and kept Elton on Sunday.

6 minutes ago, devli said:

I think this has been an issue with pretty much every festival this year. I don't know if it's because some big acts aren't touring this year, or the new acts aren't breaking through, or costs of touring, or other reasons. I usually go to End Of The Road, but I'm not bothering for the first time ever this year, because the lineup is so poor. It feels like this is a critical point in festivals history. I hope it's just a one-off & things will return to normal next year.

49 minutes ago, devli said:

It isn’t possible. This year is the only one I can bring to mind where they’ve actually got three acts who are currently selling out stadiums. It’s unheard of in terms of headliner size.

1 hour ago, Benjsh said:

The Headline acts are all exactly that though. Granted the Monkeys weren't on top form this time but they could only play in one slot realistically. 

I actually think it's a bit more worrying that likes of Dua Lipa and Taylor Swift would be far more popular for many on here. Maybe I'm getting old though but I'm sure many on here would be delighted if the festival went into full V Festival mode. Lewis Capaldi getting a headline size audience says a lot. What is remotely interesting about him? I don't get it at all. 

Thats coming in a sense anyway. Theyre running out of "old" headliners to draw from Who is left to book that can headline and appeals like a GnR or Elton. Fleetwood Mac is done. Depeche and Madonna rumored for next year. Robbie Williams?duran duran if they had to and not use them as a legend. Other than that its all modern artists and they will fall into being seen as too poppy if you have the likes of dua and the 1975 topping a bill. Like theyll have to hope foo fighters hang around for a few more years. Radiohead might get one more shot.  And now people want britney spears as a legend? Ok....

so the festival is now going to just have to go with the times and thats it. The audience is t really going to change that much since a latge percentage of punters are 30+.  Not gonna have an instant influx of 18 year olds walking around the farm cause of taylor swift. If the festival sold tickets like most others do with a lineup announced then you would see a demographic shift. But for now it will skew older and the pitfalls of a young audience will be held in check

43 minutes ago, K2SO said:

It need to be a Paul McCartney every year, but just a bit more exciting than what we ended up with.

Off the top of my head right now, I'd have gone for Miley Cyrus on the Friday, Bruce Springsteen on the Saturday and kept Elton on Sunday.

But is the desire more because its a pain in the ass to get a ticket for elton or bruce and miley just is a nice bonus cause you wouldnt wanna see her at BST for example.

15 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

But is the desire more because its a pain in the ass to get a ticket for elton or bruce and miley just is a nice bonus cause you wouldnt wanna see her at BST for example.

It would be a hell of a lot easier to get a ticket for one of those than glasto! That's just three that I'd do off the top of my head. The Miley, Bruce, Elton trio just sounds so much stronger than AM, GnR and Elton. I feel like there's a huge pool of artists that the festival could choose from, but they're obviously going to get the "But it's not rock" people going

5 hours ago, K2SO said:

It would be a hell of a lot easier to get a ticket for one of those than glasto! That's just three that I'd do off the top of my head. The Miley, Bruce, Elton trio just sounds so much stronger than AM, GnR and Elton. I feel like there's a huge pool of artists that the festival could choose from, but they're obviously going to get the "But it's not rock" people going

The festival can only book who is available though. Appreciate Bruce is touring this year but he would have had those stadium dates arranged well in advance, it’s not as easy as it sounds to just pop for glasto for a set. Especially when you’re a heritage act. Also, acts may also simply not want to play Glastonbury. 

I feel that the only uninspired booking this year was AM (and I’m a fan, their 2013 set was very good). Just feel they had so much hype around them before The Car was released and when it did, it didn’t really get a good reception so all focus shifted to their live setlist. 

GnR were a first time headliner at glasto so think thats acceptable. Not a big fan at all but thought they sounded fun, perfect for a Saturday party in a big field 

Elton doing glasto for the first and last time is also a big booking. Think it will be a big moment for the weekend. 

• Like 1

Not sure why some people are so salty here tbh. The festival has looked incredible and I’m gutted to not be there. AM were a wet fart but that’s about the only thing that’s looked disappointing, and I’d have been at Hot Chip anyway! Lots of “back in my day chunter chunter” acting like the festival hasn’t been like this for a long time now? Glastonbury stays on top by moving with the times and not standing still. It’s not the fault of the festival if it’s passed you by.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Elton’s final UK appearance* 

*Until he announces his next run of shows for the never ending farewell.

I saw him at the O2. He hobbled around and for a sizeable portion of the show, he was on a piano on a platform that drifted across the stage. When he was on his feet he really only "danced" by stiffly moving his arms around. Kind of reminded me of James Brown's Glasto set in 2003. I can sort of believe that he doesn't feel like he's got another run of big stadium gigs in him. 

7 hours ago, K2SO said:

Your complaint was that this year's headliners just treat it as another show on their tours. But Miley and Springsteen wouldn't?