Help needed with 'festival feet'

Rock bus

To contrast with the  sensible foot care which has been suggested...

I think 25 years ago, in 1998, I was still young enough that I wanted to wear my midi length DMs but as you'll see there were plenty of places where the mud simply came over the top especially if you were worse for wear.

After the first day I realised one of the most horrid sensations was putting your feet into cold muddy boots, so in some cases I was simply leaving them on overnight.  I probably didn't walk that far, there weren't as many stages and we were concentrating as much on what we were doing as what was on, but I didn't get trench foot and don't recall blisters (but that may be because my brain shut down).

stage_mug copy.jpg

blue_tent copy.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

My feet are mostly OK, but I’ve started getting hip pain over the last couple of years, sometimes when running, and noticed it last Glasto with all the walking. Managed to mostly keep it at bay when running by staying on grass rather than tarmac as much as possible, but we cover so much distance and uneven ground at Glasto it seems unavoidable it will flare up again. 

Rymora Plantar Fasciitis Support Socks -Extra Large, Arch, Heel and Ankle Compression Socks -Flexible Foot Support Socks for Men and Women -White https://amzn.eu/d/7z1pr3i

Id recommend something like this for some foot and ankle support.

Couple of Ibuprofen and a sit down late afternoon to reduce inflammation will usually give me feet enough life to last the night!

Years ago I picked up some chunky gel insoles from a sports shop, these were the best thing for 12+ hours working on my feet during hospitality shifts. I still have them now. There are others i've bought from amazon, and they make such a difference to my aching feet, I really can't fault them. 

13 hours ago, dizzymoo said:

After varying levels of success with walking sandals/boots, last year I bought some really good walking shoes which I wear with merino cushioned socks. Even when the rest of me was knackered my feet were fine.

You cannot go wrong with investing in a good pair of quality walking boots and socks. 

On 6/7/2023 at 6:48 PM, clarkete said:

To contrast with the  sensible foot care which has been suggested...

I think 25 years ago, in 1998, I was still young enough that I wanted to wear my midi length DMs but as you'll see there were plenty of places where the mud simply came over the top especially if you were worse for wear.

After the first day I realised one of the most horrid sensations was putting your feet into cold muddy boots, so in some cases I was simply leaving them on overnight.  I probably didn't walk that far, there weren't as many stages and we were concentrating as much on what we were doing as what was on, but I didn't get trench foot and don't recall blisters (but that may be because my brain shut down).

stage_mug copy.jpg

blue_tent copy.jpg

My tent is somewhere on that photo! First festival. Thanks! 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 10:48 AM, Rock bus said:

Not sure if it is just old age but I really struggle at festivals with my feet (and legs to some degree) really aching. Reaching the point that even for the first night headliner I am struggling to stand for the whole set.

Bit worried that the answer may be less walking/band watching and less alcohol but any one have any suggestions and tips how I can try and avoid my feet aching so much?

These are brilliant... I bought some for 2019 and have re-used them in other boots

https://amzn.eu/d/125mNaw

Wearing compression socks really helps my legs feel fresh. It might help your feet as well.

I started wearing them for helping with running injuries, but now I'm hooked and wear them round the house. My friend is a dog walker and she's converted as well! 

4 minutes ago, c8lin said:

Wearing compression socks really helps my legs feel fresh. It might help your feet as well.

I started wearing them for helping with running injuries, but now I'm hooked and wear them round the house. My friend is a dog walker and she's converted as well! 

Do these have to go up to the knee to work though? 

On 6/7/2023 at 11:36 AM, Justcalledtosay said:

I had the same issue last year but that's primarily because i was converse without any support. Currently wearing a paid of converse now which are a size up with arch support inserts. Thanks for whoever made that recommendation. I'm also planning on getting a foot massage in the healing fields at some point.

18 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

Can anyone recommend insoles for high arches?

Honestly, Converse have really thin inadequate soles. I'd look at upgrading shoes entirely.

On 6/7/2023 at 6:53 PM, Pinhead said:

Its my back now rather than feet. The DMs have gel insoles in them that help imesurably. After 3-4 gigs (or shifts) standing tho I start to feel it now at 50. Entering 'The Voltarol Years'...

Ditto my back. Well that area. It's shoulderish as well.

"The Voltarol Years". Brilliant. You've coined it. 

"Doctor my back/elbows/hips/knees/shoulder hurt". Prescribed Voltarol or similar prescription. Doesn't really work for me and also stinks. Like a hospital.

See you at the meet as usual?

On 6/7/2023 at 9:20 PM, Miathedog said:

My feet are mostly OK, but I’ve started getting hip pain over the last couple of years, sometimes when running, and noticed it last Glasto with all the walking. Managed to mostly keep it at bay when running by staying on grass rather than tarmac as much as possible, but we cover so much distance and uneven ground at Glasto it seems unavoidable it will flare up again. 

Thinking I should be posting in the Fitness For or resurrecting the Mental Health At threads.

Really apprehensive about a few health things this year. A lot of things ache.

A close parking space would be a blessing.

It's surely too late to get fit now.

Edit: Things not thins. Though being thin doesn't help.

Edited by MrZigster
  • Like 1