Help needed with 'festival feet'

Rock bus

Not sure if it is just old age but I really struggle at festivals with my feet (and legs to some degree) really aching. Reaching the point that even for the first night headliner I am struggling to stand for the whole set.

Bit worried that the answer may be less walking/band watching and less alcohol but any one have any suggestions and tips how I can try and avoid my feet aching so much?

Poor you, its horrible isn't it!

1 - walk/stand more before the festival - probably too late now but for next year!
2 - decent arch support in your shoes/boots - buy the best shoes/boots you can afford - see a chiropractor if you need insoles made specifically to support your arches
3 - hate to say it, but make sure your weight is in the right sort of healthy range
4 - stretch your achilles as often as possible (lots of exercises on internet you can do while just standing around)
5 - give your feet a good massage with moisturiser daily
6 - drink loads so you forget about the pain in your feet!

I also find a change of shoes daily helps relieve the pain sometimes

• Upvote 1

Small note on the above - podiatrist not chiropractor, see a doctor not a quack.

Apart from a program of long walks that aren't going to happen before the festival the two things I've found most helpful are ensuring you don't spend too much of your standing time flat-foot - move them about so when you're stuck flat-foot later in a headline crowd they're not already completely crushed, and take your shoes and socks off and give them an air and a rub whenever the opportunity arises. 

28 minutes ago, Rock bus said:

Not sure if it is just old age but I really struggle at festivals with my feet (and legs to some degree) really aching. Reaching the point that even for the first night headliner I am struggling to stand for the whole set.

Bit worried that the answer may be less walking/band watching and less alcohol but any one have any suggestions and tips how I can try and avoid my feet aching so much?

Without context, it’s a bit hard to offer advice…

what kind of footwear do you wear?

what’s your general state of fitness?

These two I think are most significant. If you don’t exercise regularly and then go to a festival in wellies, you will suffer. Glastonbury is an endurance event, and being prepared for that will bring the best outcome.

14 minutes ago, BlueJeansAndWhiteTshirts said:

I feel you. Its my back that gets me too, so I use pain killers all day (just Ibuprofen and Paracetamol) to dampen it. Good insoles are a must. I also don't stand waiting for bands for hours, I turn up in time and am  happy with a space near the back for dancing. 

My 'secret' here is 'never stop moving'. Your idea of arriving just at the start of a set is excellent, but even then I never stand still. If the music is conducive to moving in time to it, easy, if not, I just kind of sway putting pressure alternately on each foot. This lack of standing still is a life-saver as that is what knackers my back the most.

I will sometimes think of the Guards in bearskins outside the palaces in London standing immobile for hours and weep.

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22
  • Thanks 1

Au contraire re drinking less: I find the beer / cider becomes medicinal for sore feet more and more sas the weekend goes on!

Beyond that others have covered it: good footwear and sit down as often and you can - especially early on in the weekend when you don't think you need it. Think of it as drinking plenty of water and eating well before a big night out - it pays dividends!

3 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

My 'secret' here is 'never stop moving'. Your idea of arriving just at the start of a set is excellent, but even then I never stand still. If the music is conducive to moving in time to it, easy, if not, I just kind of sway putting pressure alternately on each foot. This lack of standing still is a life-saver as that is what knackers my back the most.

I will sometimes think of the Guards in bearskins outside the palaces in London standing immobile for hours and weep.

Ben

I do the opposite to @bennyhana22 but I'm old and unfit, so I go near the back where there is more space and I can sit on a small stool/tiny chair and then get up for a shimmy as appropriate.

My clashfinder will include a range of choices in different places, but I likely won't be going from pyramid to park for one act then back again - I look at the distance chart for what's achievable, especially if it's a busy time or terrain is tougher. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Nal said:

A trip to the osteopath in the healing fields on Friday morning will transform your festival. Been doing it for years.

Sadly even the best osteopath can't change the changes in my spine, @The Nal! But I have had deep tissue massages at festivals before, to help the muscles that are screaming trying to overcome my anatomical deterioration!

Ben

53 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

Small note on the above - podiatrist not chiropractor, see a doctor not a quack.

Oops my bad - in fact it was all sorts of wrong because I meant chiropodist not chiropractor!!

This balm is the absolute daddy for dry, sore feet - I give my feet a little clean and dry every morning at the fest (even a wet wipe clean will help) - then a thin layer of this, foot massage and off you go. Or stick it on before bed - either way it's the bomb.

As others have said, supportive, comfortable footwear and clean socks. I often change to a 2nd pair for the evening 💅 (Fancy? Moi?)

image.thumb.png.c32490138f68f70fb2542b54e45216b5.png

• Upvote 1

I have had an issue with aching feet for many years which is nothing to do with fitness as I’ve always run & have plenty of practice at standing. I now have the added bonus of having to stand for 8 hours for Oxfam shifts. Sometimes my feet have hurt so much at the end of a Glastonbury day that they keep me awake even after I’ve been in bed for up to 2 hours! They still hurt but this is how I manage it better now.

(1) I’d definitely say a combination of @bennyhana22& @clarkete i.e. sit down whenever you can and take shoes and socks off if possible, but at the time you have to stand, don’t stand still - dancing is far better for achy feet when you sit, take the weight RIGHT off them if you can - i.e. feet up or right out in front of you. 

(2) Look after your feet. It’s not too late to start getting rid of hard skin and softening them if you don’t already do this. Keep doing this while you’re there. Get a nice cooling foot treatment and at the end of each glasto day clean and cream your feet. 

(3) Good shoes and socks. Walking boots not wellies conditions permitting, & running trainers not classics or converse. New socks that are bamboo or have some kind of wicking element are a treat.

(4) pain killers. Won’t hurt you to dose up for a few days - ibuprofen and paracetamol alternately to get you through the day. Don’t overdose but you can take both up to their stated limits (so 8 doses a day in total!) Also take something like milk thistle to support your liver & make sure you eat &/or have gaviscon or something so the ibuprofen doesn’t upset your stomach.

The best thing for my feet though is always being at something I love and dancing!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, amfy said:

I have had an issue with aching feet for many years which is nothing to do with fitness as I’ve always run & have plenty of practice at standing. I now have the added bonus of having to stand for 8 hours for Oxfam shifts. 

Important to say that we thank you for your service 😉

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Rock bus said:

You've got two weeks, light yoga each day will help. Try those 10 min morning yoga challenges. 

The answer is genuinely preparation ahead of time, there's not much you can do once there. 

Back strengthening, flexibility work, losing weight if needed etc will all help. 

There's time to do a bit of that, you'd be surprised how much you can do in two weeks. Something is better than nothing, but obviously don't go expecting miracles.