The churnups

a6l6e6x

The Foos hotel rumour... I know Joey's source and it is v good and v honest (it's the one that brought you Acardia last time amongst others). So I don't doubt it true at the time and they still believe it for what it's worth.

Although there was talk at the time it could be about a Special Guest appearance, there's nothing since to link to this slot. Grohl could be coming to watch.

4 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

The Foos hotel rumour... I know Joey's source and it is v good and v honest (it's the one that brought you Acardia last time amongst others). So I don't doubt it true at the time and they still believe it for what it's worth.

Although there was talk at the time it could be about a Special Guest appearance, there's nothing since to link to this slot. Grohl could be coming to watch.

See what I said earlier - Foo & QOTSA are managed by the same team.  QOTSA have a Cardiff Castle show on the Friday & Sunday at Glastonbury.  If their management block-booked a Bristol hotel for Glastonbury weekend for ease of travel between the 2 sites, it's possible someone just assumed it's Foos.

Edited by Pjonze
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pjonze said:

See what I said earlier - Foo & QOTSA are managed by the same team.  QOTSA have a Cardiff Castle show on the Friday & Sunday at Glastonbury.  If their management block-booked a hotel for Glastonbury weekend for ease of travel between the 2 sites, it's possible someone just assumed it's Foos.

I don’t think think this is exactly what happened, but something like this is possible. For what it’s worth it’s not come from someone on the hotel side of things  

As someone who knows from the same place as Joey, I certainly wouldn’t be clinging on to it as proof they’re doing this spot (and neither is the source).  

20 minutes ago, discgoesmic said:

Equally, Foos would be far too big to put on any other stage (I'd actually say far moreso than Pulp) so I think from a capacity perspective it could still be either.

I disagree completely the capacity thing is a strong argument for Pulp over the foo fighters. Obviously they both are two big for smaller stages 

But

When paired with the info that Pulp probably playing somewhere due to the Somerset tweet  it implies they are playing the festival somewhere and that as we said they are probably too big for smaller stages 

Edited by AVALON.G

I'm guessing Pulp myself but this is the problem with secret sets. It's great fun to speculate before the festival but I cannot emphasise the disappointment when a band that you don't like walks on that stage in the secret slot. Happened to me when I dragged my arse all the way to the Park, pass multiple good bands, for the secret slot and out walked ******* Biffy Clyro 😂

To be fair, they did leave a massive clue prior to the show. The day of the set they put some photos on their website: footballer Park Ji-Sung, one of the planet Saturn, and the Roman numerals for 6 and 40.  Lesson learned, I'll be checking social media the morning of the gig for hard evidence. I don't mind the Foos but would rather see Pulp or Folamour for example who is on at same time

31 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

The churns / Grohl band thing isn’t tenuous… In my opinion it’s ‘THE’ strongest link for the name to anybody…

It can be *both* tenuous (in terms of linking them to this slot) and THE strongest link.

And it is.

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

gotta hand it to EE, she gave us something good to quarrel about

She's played a blinder.  I like to think that she's behind the ChurnUps twitter account and each day spins a twister spinner to decide what band she's going to tweet about.

Unless the band directly say it's them, I can't see it being revealed until the day (or at least the start of the festival) so am gonna sit back and enjoy the speculation

On 6/3/2023 at 2:25 AM, Joey01 said:

I was 100% certain it was Pulp but now I'm having big doubts and think they are the least likely of the main 3 mentioned...

Reasons it's Pulp:

- People say you "churn into a pulp" but is that really a saying? It's more beat/squeeze I'd have thought?

- Some people had suggested that third slot up on a Friday was them before the original line up was announced.

And that's it... one is inconclusive and the other has likely to have changed anyway given someone said they were still doing 2 more shows the other month, expecting one to be Glasto, and they've announced 2 other warm up shows instead and that's it. To my knowledge, they have also never appeared under a pseudonym.

Reason it's Foos: 

- The link to DG old band being called Churn

- Nick Banks crypto tweet featuring their song

- The band allegedly having a hotel booked in the area (this rumour was dated in December)

- QOTSA also playing at the festival

- Appeared under pseudonyms before 

- DG special appearance last year. We know special appearances one year can sometimes lead to a full appearance the next.

Reason it's Blur:

- You churn milk into cheese. That is an actual saying. Alex James makes his own cheese.

- Graham Coxon cancelling his show with his band The Weave on the Friday when this set would happen due to "scheduling issues"

- Appeared under pseudonyms before 

To give balance, I just remembered Glade's tweet before they announced their lineup which could be cryptic to suggest it's Pulp (or at least performing at the fest in some capacity):

1 hour ago, gfa said:

ask JoeyT - its his info

Absolutely nothing concrete pointing at Pulp right now vs multiple rumours and the Rock am Ring exclusive wording lol

as i've said i would love pulp and would love to hear reasoning but just saying its pulp isn't an argument 

What was the specific wording they used? That festival just finished the weekend just gone so if it is FF and they were waiting for that to close to announce them for exclusivity reasons, we might get an announcement this week?

Just now, sisco said:

I just don’t know who to trust.. someone with absolute proven info before or people shouting Pulp.

Btw, I actually think both play and the Hozier info is rubbish 

Fingers crossed for that as Hozier feels a bit of an anti-climax in comparison.

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

The band as a whole? No. Blur, Arctic Monkeys, Foos... all bigger bands than Pulp.

But Common People, the song in the context of the UK... I'd say it's more well known than anything by Foos, more well known than I Bet That You Look Good On The Dancefloor and probably better known than Parklife or Song 2.

I always think about my parents (in their 70s) when I think of stuff like this. They know Common People. They would probably remember Parklife but assume it was a novelty song. They've never heard of Song 2. In terms of songs of the 90s people can name, it's not that people would name 2 Pulp songs and 3 Blur songs and 4 Oasis songs. It's that the people naming 3 Spice Girls songs, 3 Boyzone songs and some stuff by Peter Andre *also* name Common People.

And it's not just the popularity at the time, it's that it continues to pop up on TV and on Radio 2 and such all the time.

Then the second part is Jarvis. He's on the BBC pretty often, there was the whole Jackson/Brits thing... he personally has a level of general fame in the UK that others don't. Damon Albarn can mostly walk down the street without people recognising him.

I'm not trying to argue one is bigger than the other or anything here. Just that it's a balance, based on how you measure it. Pulp's fame is disproportionate because of Common People and because of Jarvis being a beloved weirdo.

Very romantic view.

I don't believe most ppl would name Common People (or the rest of their hits) over any Blur song. The Brit pop "Battle" was very much Oasis Vs Blur.

I still want it to be Pulp tho too.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Blur and Pulp are also Glastonbury headliner acts with long histories with the festival.  Foo Fighters might be bigger globally, but they're the one act of the three that haven't delivered a classic, for the ages, Pyramid Headlining Slot.

But have either been relevant in the last decade ? Both top bands but their more legacy acts vs Foo Fighters who have continually released and toured. Both are doing reunion tours 

I feel like if Foo's would do it why didn't they just do it instead of coming on before Royal blood and not playing instead of GnR?

1 hour ago, gfa said:

I'd argue Killers are similarly as big in the uk and they did it

I don't imagine Foos were even an option when GNR were booked due to Taylor's death, they likely hadn't even done the 2 tribute concerts in london by the time gnr were locked in

Good points - now im completely lost on who it will be

Anyone to get this thread back on track, I'm still team Pulp in my heart. Never mind the wordplay or the old band of Dave's that no one can find anything about. There's the song he helped produce from his studio called Churn which is a bit of an odd coincidence.

But just the fact I don't think Glasto would out on an internationally masssive band like Foos on before AM. 

Pulp are big in the UK and they'll draw a big crowd, but I feel like they'd steal less thunder on the BBC if the showed up.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

Both Pulp and The Foos are massive.  

Both woild be well publicised by the news and BBC.

There’s obviously been an effort to put a massive special guest on the pyramid rather than a smaller stage (due to some of the issues last year).

Lets hope it could be a 4 headliner a year thing

3 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Very romantic view.

I don't believe most ppl would name Common People (or the rest of their hits) over any Blur song. The Brit pop "Battle" was very much Oasis Vs Blur.

I still want it to be Pulp tho too.

Oh yeah Pulp had no real involvement in the Britpop battle. But then neither did huge portions of the country. While it certainly had breakthrough appeal it was still a "music" thing. 

Common People was a phenomenon. I'd also say Parklife was at the time as well. Both were huge breakthrough hits. Parklife hasn't really had the staying power that Common People has though. (Mostly as was a sort of novelty track at the time and Blur had better, more credible if less successful in the UK, songs since).

I'd put Common People up there with Wonderwall or Don't Look Back In Anger to be honest. Even your gran knows it. 

I don't think it makes Pulp more or less likely to play either way. Just find it interesting how relative levels of "fame" can differ.

(And of course, a Glastonbury audience isn't really going to be made up of people who don't engage with music much)