What's your late night/ SE Corner involvement?

What's your late night/ SE Corner involvement?  

204 members have voted

1. 1. What's your late night/ SE Corner involvement?

• It is my festival, in the SE every night until at least 4am, often sunrise.
    • I like to visit to get the vibe but don't stay long due to crowds or another reason.
    • I get my late night kicks elsewhere (please share).
    • I tend to be too knackered from the day's music and don't stay out much later than the day's headliner.
    • I make the effort only for specific acts I want to see.
    • I want see more of it this year but don't know where to start.
    • Not for me at all, too crowded, don't like the genres on offer, too many drug heads etc etc.

The microvenues were amazing, randomness round every corner and some really immersive experiences.. maybe if they split the crowd more successfully this year there’ll be a move back to more stuff like that..  

I loved the Swapshop thing last year in Shangri la.. not in a microvenue but very much along the same lines.. hilarious.

Edited by Pipine

Pretty much every night, sometimes we'll do one day in the rabbit hole; used to love all the little micro venues in shangria-la, felt like were a few pockets of that last time, but i remember opening doors to completely random rooms and such like.

Hoping that the new and improved silver hayes and arcadia reduce the crowds in se corner, was absolutely nuts last year around the gas tower

1 hour ago, sime said:

I used to like it when it had the lanes and all the weird sci-fi stuff and micro venues. It was like a living art piece. Now it is more like a big club culture area and is so very very busy. Which is great for anyone into that but it's not my scene really apart from the rock venue, so I only go there once, late one night (normally Sunday into Monday), just to take in all the structures and atmosphere, stay for about 30 minutes and then move on. I'm glad it's there as it means a lot to a lot of people. I just really do miss how it used to be.

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Those were the days. Really liked that too. Did shots from some syringes in a doctors waiting room or hospital venue. The place couldn't have been bigger than my kitchen, was tiny. Really felt like you were in a piece of live theatre.

Completely agree.  2009-10-11 we were there most nights until early.  The randomness and the immersive/interactive theatre vibe made it special.  As it's evolved into what is basically a series of clubs/venues I think it's lost a lot of appeal.  I've selected "get my kicks elsewhere" as if I do go now, it's usually only 1 night.  Didn't go at all last year - Williams Green/Greenpeace/Croissant Neuf were my main haunts post midnight.

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

Generally I don't like the music so the appeal is limited for me. That said, the Hell Stage gets better each year and I have found stuff there I like.

But I do love the visual side of it, even if the Unfairground feels a little past its sell-by date now. IICON is amazing and at any other festival it would be the main stage. I just love that this part of the festival exists. Most other UK fests more or less shut down at midnight and the SE Corner really is a big part of why Galstonbury is as amazing as it is. So, I'm happy to get in there one night at least just to see the sights. If more venues would do a 'Prince hour' I'd be dancing a bit more.

Are you planning on doing RDB's purple rave or whatever it is called in the Rabbit Hole? I tried last year but it was far too busy. Put it on a bigger stage!

I chose option 2 but none of the options really hit the nail on the head for me, I love the SE corner the NYCDL and the temple are two of my favorite venues anywhere, but my issue especially in the past few years is it's to get into any of them it's a huge ques, if you can get in at all so I just don't bother, I usually have an night or two that I'm not pushed about anything on any of the main stages and I'll spend the night down there but if I want to see anything about headline time then the SE is a no go for hours...... perhaps if it was spread out a bit more but then you'd have the noise pollution issues...... 

1 hour ago, sime said:

I used to like it when it had the lanes and all the weird sci-fi stuff and micro venues. It was like a living art piece. Now it is more like a big club culture area and is so very very busy. Which is great for anyone into that but it's not my scene really apart from the rock venue, so I only go there once, late one night (normally Sunday into Monday), just to take in all the structures and atmosphere, stay for about 30 minutes and then move on. I'm glad it's there as it means a lot to a lot of people. I just really do miss how it used to be.

which is the rock venue please?

9 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Completely agree.  2009-10-11 we were there most nights until early.  The randomness and the immersive/interactive theatre vibe made it special.  As it's evolved into what is basically a series of clubs/venues I think it's lost a lot of appeal.  I've selected "get my kicks elsewhere" as if I do go now, it's usually only 1 night.  Didn't go at all last year - Williams Green/Greenpeace/Croissant Neuf were my main haunts post midnight.

Those years were amazing. Like something out of Bladerunner, was an incredible immersive experience and you weren't there to see anyone play. Just wandering around discovering weird things. 

I found that tattoo club on the Friday night. It was nuts! Tried to bring friends to it the following night and couldn't find it in the maze of doors and tunnels. Did manage to find a bar dedicated to Bono behind a secret sliding door instead. Whole area was immense. 

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

One of our crew is in long term recovery from drink and drugs. I once bumped into him at 2am in SH, dancing like a good one. I asked how he manages to stay up without "assistance". His answer, coffee and chocolate.

Sounds like a solid plan. TBH I dance more since I quit it all. Although my husband has just, once again, interjected about how as soon as Elton finishes we need to leave. Booooooo. 

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Theres not much of a i go like 1-2 nights and go hard and love it, but not all 5 nights option

That's what I'd of gone for. I only really go SEC twice over the weekend. Maybe a third if I'm not broken by the Sunday.

9 minutes ago, Nerraw2525 said:

Those years were amazing. Like something out of Bladerunner, was an incredible immersive experience and you weren't there to see anyone play. Just wandering around discovering weird things. 

I found that tattoo club on the Friday night. It was nuts! Tried to bring friends to it the following night and couldn't find it in the maze of doors and tunnels. Did manage to find a bar dedicated to Bono behind a secret sliding door instead. Whole area was immense. 

The Temple of the Blessed Bono! I remember that. Literally the size of a closet. That was the year U2 pulled out 😄

Probably averaged 2 nights there over the festivals I've been. I often find going for specific acts after hours doesn't works out as intended in the SEC because of crowds, managing a group, getting into venues etc. Also, I'm pretty programmed in during the day for acts I want to see so it's good to relinquish some of that grip later on.

Best acts that I've seen (that I can remember) were some mexican vs columbian soundclash on Sunday night, maybe 2017? Denzel Curry at Truth Stage 2019. 

Edited by Nduja

I've done enough wandering down there that I don't really feel the need to head that way "just because" anymore.  Will definitely head down there for some specific acts on Truth and possibly one or two others elsewhere, but that's about it.  I'm more likely to find things that suit me up near the Park or in the Greenfields, and I prefer the ability to move on without feeling like I've wasted time queuing just to leave relatively quickly.

Having said that if I'm with a group and people are heading that way, I'll happily tag along

6 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Does the one-way system and it's ridiculous queue put anyone off.

I likely wouldn't even bother if I had to suffer that

If this is re SE corner the queue isn't much of an issue, it dies down very quickly.

The one way system is not too bad honestly, its more how busy it is from like 1-3am that makes navigating it take ages

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

If this is re SE corner the queue isn't much of an issue, it dies down very quickly.

The one way system is not too bad honestly, its more how busy it is from like 1-3am that makes navigating it take ages

Cheers

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Used to be good but now its old hat. Has been in need of a total revamp for years.

Losers on ketamine dribbling on themselves.

Totally agree

Yea, not enough people on MDMA (where have they gone to?)

12 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Does the one-way system and it's ridiculous queue put anyone off.

I likely wouldn't even bother if I had to suffer that

One way system, no.  It's the lack of space once I'm in there that puts me off.  

I recall it being busier in 2009-11 than it feels the past couple of festivals, a log jam at times. 

Then we had the queuing system which seems to take ages, and go on for miles, after the 2012 fallow. 

It's been better from that perspective at recent events - IICON's massive space being a big part of that.

Victim of it's own success, and the challenges of having a music LOUD elsewhere on the site at that time, I guess. 

29 minutes ago, Nduja said:

Probably averaged 2 nights there over the festivals I've been. I often find going for specific acts after hours doesn't works out as intended in the SEC because of crowds, managing a group, getting into venues etc. Also, I'm pretty programmed in during the day for acts I want to see so it's good to relinquish some of that grip later on.

Best acts that I've seen (that I can remember) were some mexican vs columbian soundclash on Sunday night, maybe 2017? Denzel Curry at Truth Stage 2019. 

That Denzel set was immense. Thursday night I recall? So gutted he's not back this year. 

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

Cheers

Totally agree

Yea, not enough people on MDMA (where have they gone to?)

No idea. The SE corner was kind of built on MDMA and weed in a lot of ways. MDMA especially for the first few years. Shiny happy people. Few cocktails.

Last 5 festivals or so theres a lot of people laying around the place after 2am barely conscious in K holes.

3868cae45318121f60b7ee010feb7ec685dc7b97