Acts Ruled Out Of Glastonbury 2024

stanh

12 minutes ago, westholtschic said:

No Carl Cox unfortunately this year 😢

I'm kind of glad about this, even as there would be zero chance of me seeing him. He's become one of those there every year acts and they need to mix it up, give someone else a shot.

See also FBS, even Billy Bragg should have a year off from headlining a night at Leftfield. He'd still get to do the Big Bill's Round-up bit. 

Even taking it down to T&C level, let's have more new stuff.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I'm kind of glad about this, even as there would be zero chance of me seeing him. He's become one of those there every year acts and they need to mix it up, give someone else a shot.

See also FBS, even Billy Bragg should have a year off from headlining a night at Leftfield. He'd still get to do the Big Bill's Round-up bit. 

Agree with you totally, although I would like FBS to open the Pyramid on the Friday this year 😀

32 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I can see what you mean, but those two are still a big draw wherever they are and certainly fit well with the limited budgets they have. 

31 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I think unfortunately the festival has an over-reliance on "friends of the festival", which is making certain areas/sets a little stale. From smaller acts, like Mik, Beans, Lekkido to DJs like Cox and Norm, right up to headliners like Chris and the lads. I'm sure there are lots more. Tradition is one thing, repetition because they're cheap or free is another

• Upvote 1

Just now, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I think unfortunately the festival has an over-reliance on "friends of the festival", which is making certain areas/sets a little stale. From smaller acts, like Mik, Beans, Lekkido to DJs like Cox and Norm, right up to headliners like Chris and the lads. I'm sure there are lots more. Tradition is one thing, repetition because they're cheap or free is another

I guess it's a difficult juggling act, keeps the cost down, good for people who've not seen them before but even Beans and Mik, much as I love them and watch them every year, it would be good to have a new discovery in those slots. Question is, would people go to those slots if it wasn't them?

On 1/9/2024 at 5:21 PM, Skip997 said:

No sympathy

No great loss

Well I think it is. 

We've seen them at Glasto loads of times and they say that as a 12 piece they can't get Glasto to work now.  They had to play 2 different stages to get the number of tickets required just so that they could get the whole band in this year. 

It's a shame.  Perhaps not for this year as they played twice in 2023 but for future - they can't be the only band who've said enough is enough. 

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

I guess it's a difficult juggling act, keeps the cost down, good for people who've not seen them before but even Beans and Mik, much as I love them and watch them every year, it would be good to have a new discovery in those slots. Question is, would people go to those slots if it wasn't them?

The festival (or certain areas at least) would not have survived had it not been for those acts playing on the cheap, and with the financial pressures the festival is under, there's no sign of that changing. I guess it's a business model they'll have to stick with, if the smaller areas are to survive? Maybe they need more "friends of the festival" and the punters will need to support those new acts coming through. No doubt, keeping the festival fresh and relevant is continuously on the agenda but 2024 does feel a little bit like it could be a placeholder year, save some money, and slightly reinvent again next year. Of course, a repetitive Glastonbury is no bad thing, still the most incredible weekend, it's just I'd like to see some signs of progression. We'll see come July 1st whether we feel it's still innovating and pushing boundaries or, in the main due to financial pressure, a little stuck in a creative rut

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Further to the above Spotted on Facebook. Can not beleive they dont get enough performer tickets for the whole group even though there is a lot of them. 

I know they are small stage fodder but could easily also do an early slot on the park or WH.

Screenshot_20240122-181154_Facebook.jpg

Edited by Ben7amin_

1 hour ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Further to the above Spotted on Facebook. Can not beleive they dont get enough performer tickets for the whole group even though there is a lot of them. 

I know they are small stage fodder but could easily also do an early slot on the park or WH.

Screenshot_20240122-181154_Facebook.jpg

They're a novelty act no way they could get on a mainstage 

10 hours ago, Rex2 said:

They're a novelty act no way they could get on a mainstage 

There last album did really well. They are a step up from where they were last summer  

Lots of so called "novelty acts" appear on main stages in early slots. So I'm immediately dismissing that as a thing. 

Edited by Ben7amin_

It's a weird one - on the one hand bands and crew ideally shouldn't be underpaid etc. but on the other hand if everyone was paid their going rate and given enough passes etc to play Glastonbury, the ticket price would probably be around £3,000+ and there would be a lot less punter tickets. Thankfully a lot of people do it for the love of performing/working there. I wonder whether taking a stance of refusing to play unless they pay significantly more, would mean they should also refuse to attend at all as it would be hypocritical to go and watch all the other acts who have taken big pay cuts. 

45 minutes ago, tomf3 said:

It's a weird one - on the one hand bands and crew ideally shouldn't be underpaid etc. but on the other hand if everyone was paid their going rate and given enough passes etc to play Glastonbury, the ticket price would probably be around £3,000+ and there would be a lot less punter tickets. Thankfully a lot of people do it for the love of performing/working there. I wonder whether taking a stance of refusing to play unless they pay significantly more, would mean they should also refuse to attend at all as it would be hypocritical to go and watch all the other acts who have taken big pay cuts. 

Hmm.  I mean it always know that they do t pay the going rate for big acts  I guess I didn't realise it tricked all the way down. 

If you put it in DMB who probably have a very low gig fee and there being a lot of members. Probably making nearly nothing financially and not getting festival tickets for all the band members. Probably hits a bit harder than a headline act getting 10% of there fee. 

16 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Hmm.  I mean it always know that they do t pay the going rate for big acts  I guess I didn't realise it tricked all the way down. 

If you put it in DMB who probably have a very low gig fee and there being a lot of members. Probably making nearly nothing financially and not getting festival tickets for all the band members. Probably hits a bit harder than a headline act getting 10% of there fee. 

Yeah it's gotta be annoying, but certainly in the last 15 years I've heard stories about areas like Shangri-La not getting enough passes so having to break in loads of their crew, and bands having to 2 multiple sets to get enough tickets; even DJs doing multiple sets so they can get plus 1s. It's not great, but unfortunately it's the way it is, and there's something nice about an event where people are doing it for the love of it.
I feel everyone is completely justified to turn down low offers, but posts like that on FB can only serve to try and inspire others to do the same which would make for a less good or more expensive event. 

On 1/23/2024 at 9:19 AM, Ben7amin_ said:

They did it in 2019 too... had to play Greenpeace, Truth and Rum Shack just to get enough tickets for the festival.  I said on Facebook though it's not all bad... they got spotted at Truth Stage which led to them getting their new album signed by Universal. 

So as a big fan of theirs, I think they are being too salty.