Strength of line up

bigbilly

Firstly this is not a complaint about the line up. 

Just seems to me some budget has been cut on the acts this year accross the board. Line ups dont seem that strong a few down from the headliners. 

However some areas may have improved in general. I.e woodsies silver hayes etc so not discounting that sone areas have been revamped. 

Anyone else agree / disagree

I really have no idea of how one can quantify this. Sure, for me the line-up is not as good as last year, but that could all be down to personal taste rather than any budget cutting. Last year was also an anomaly in that there were loads of acts desperate to play after two years of no festivals.

The fest can only book the acts that are on tour. Who could they have realistically booked to bolster the undercard? Does Glastonbury compare poorly to other fests (not IOW thats for sure) and those in Europe? For my money, only Hellfest has an enviable line-up, but it's not comparable to Glastonbury.

For me personally, it's less exciting at the top end. I currently only have one headliner (Phoenix), and now the Park go and spoil things by putting them up against alt-J, who I'd quite like to see after more than 10 years since last time!

Undercard, as ever for me, shaping up to be fairly spectacular and, for me, it's always the discoveries and/or infrequently touring smaller acts that give me the most pleasure.

As for nighttime, biggest line-up in my Glastonbury history for Silver Hayes, a smattering on the spider, and still Glade and Block9 to come. My schedule will be, as always, fucking ridiculous.

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

I was under the impression that 22's line up was a little bit underwhelming and looking back there are so many acts I'm gutted I missed/didn't even realise were playing at all.

There's so much more to the festival than just who's playing on the big stages so have a look at the other options and you'll find some acts of real quality. West Holts and the Levels are looking really good this year for day time options and late night you'll always stumble upon something entertaining.

I often find that looking back at previous years, the lineup always seems to look better on paper. This is often just that current big artists were small back then - gives you a sense of "Wow - can't believe so-so was playing that stage!". I'm sure in a few years we'll look back at 2023 and think the same thing.

• Upvote 7

I think they've done really well.  everyone and their mother toured last year, with the pandemic restrictions winding down.  Naturally this year, a lot of those touring cycles have completed and I hear that every festival has had a hard time making bookings.  That, coupled with inflation costs, I think the festival has really triumphed. 

• Upvote 4

Its weaker but theres enough to fill up a day which is fine. Although maybe this gets people to really dig around all the names they dont know instead of just going with the familiar. The one curse of a not so strong lineup is that everything you will want to see will end up clashing. Thats usually the case.

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

I really have no idea of how one can quantify this. Sure, for me the line-up is not as good as last year, but that could all be down to personal taste rather than any budget cutting. Last year was also an anomaly in that there were loads of acts desperate to play after two years of no festivals.

The fest can only book the acts that are on tour. Who could they have realistically booked to bolster the undercard? Does Glastonbury compare poorly to other fests (not IOW thats for sure) and those in Europe? For my money, only Hellfest has an enviable line-up, but it's not comparable to Glastonbury.

Blur, Pulp, The Strokes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs are all playing in the UK this summer.

• Upvote 1

Just now, JRhys29 said:

I often find that looking back at previous years, the lineup always seems to look better on paper. This is often just that current big artists were small back then - gives you a sense of "Wow - can't believe so-so was playing that stage!". I'm sure in a few years we'll look back at 2023 and think the same thing.

This too.  And also, I've had the reverse happen, where I look at an old lineup and it feels weaker than I remember. 

It's a year that i know is solid for certain people, but for me personally i don't think there's an act on there for me this year that absolutely unmissable. However that makes me almost more excited because i'm not constrained to a schedule and i can just enjoy being there doing whatever without constantly thinking about the next act 

12 minutes ago, bigbilly said:

Just seems to me some budget has been cut on the acts this year accross the board. Line ups dont seem that strong a few down from the headliners. 

However some areas may have improved in general. I.e woodsies silver hayes etc so not discounting that sone areas have been revamped. 

I think that might be "getting old and off the pace" 😘

2 minutes ago, JRhys29 said:

Also the other way round - "They really had so and so on the pyramid" 🤣

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's stronger than sub-par years like 2014, 2015 and 2017......but (my usual gripe) there are too few heritage acts booked.

Reg, Yusuf, Sparks, Candi Staton.  That's pretty much it.

Where's Iggy? Where's John Fogerty? Dionne Warwick? Grace Jones? etc etc

Too busy running the forums I think

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nestacres said:

So what?

Blur have done a couple of good tunes, Pulp maybe half a dozen, The Strokes are dull, not sure about Yeah Yeah Yeahs

9 minutes ago, Nestacres said:

If all the main acts are being shohorned onto the Pyramid/Other there will be lots of clashes. 

There will be about the same number of acts on the same number of stages as there always is. Clashes only happen due to any one's personal taste. Every act that plays at just about any time is clashing with a dozen other acts.

9 minutes ago, Nestacres said:

The first three would all be headliners, so not really fair to say the undercard is week without them. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, bigbilly said:

Theres always ups and downs

14 minutes ago, Nestacres said:

Blur have released some great music since they last headlined to be fair

• Upvote 1