Strength of line up

bigbilly

I'm finding this quite funny.

When I first started posting on here I had a rep as a miserable, negative moaner.

Now it seems I'm one of the few with a bit of perspective.

The line up is great, but only if people can get away from wanting to/thinking they have to watch the big names they're told to watch.

Get out of your comfort zone and go and watch some "non-mainstream" acts. You may well be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

When I first started posting on here I had a rep as a miserable, negative moaner.

The line up is great, but only if people can get away from wanting to/thinking they have to watch the big names they're told to watch.

Get out of your comfort zone and go and watch some "non-mainstream" acts. You may well be pleasantly surprised.

What are your recommendations for this year Skip?

7 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

In my opinion I think there's lots stronger lineups elsewhere in Europe. 

But it's my first time so I couldn't really care I'll be exploring. 

If it's your first time, your concern about the strength of the line-up is about to evaporate into nothingness.

It. Will. Blow. Your. Mind.

Ben

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

20 minutes ago, Superscally said:

I think that might be "getting old and off the pace" 😘

Ha yes Ive considred this before positng my thoughts . Few years ago I would have known  pretty much every act in the electronic areas. Not so much this time.  Not that thats a negative, its good to see the yoot coming through. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I always say if you’re lucky to have 3 acts per day you really want to see you’re doing well.  You can then delve into the lineup and find others. 

As always there’s plenty there 

Didnt want this to turn into the line ups better then that year of the year before etc.

Was just an observation about the budget for the acts really, lets face it any act playing any of the main stages whether you like them or not personally must be doing something right

Just now, bigbilly said:

Didnt want this to turn into the line ups better then that year of the year before etc.

Was just an observation about the budget for the acts really, lets face it any act playing any of the main stages whether you like them or not personally must be doing something right

Don't worry, Billy, it's a good conversation.

☺️

Ben

God every year it's the same argument, too many heritage acts, not enough heritage acts, not enough big names, too much of this or that type of music, not enough of this or that type of music, all the acts I want to see clashing, not as good as it used to be...... and on and on and on, yet there we are on the first Sunday in October hammering away on our F5 keys, because we know it's going on to be the best 5 days of our year

• Like 1

Just now, bennyhana22 said:

Don't worry, Billy, it's a good conversation.

☺️

Ben

Yeah not worried 🙂 just an opinion, mines no more valid then anyones else ha

23 minutes ago, Monty Pythagoras said:

I was under the impression that 22's line up was a little bit underwhelming and looking back there are so many acts I'm gutted I missed/didn't even realise were playing at all.

There’s about a dozen acts I missed last year that I’d prioritise over  this year.

With the usual horses for courses caveat, it’s definitely the weakest for my tastes since I started going. Keep hoping the next announcement pulls it out the bag, and keep being disappointed.

Is it taste? Is it festival-lethargy? Or is it objectively poor with too many safe bookings and repeats? Who knows!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Superscally said:

I think that might be "getting old and off the pace" 😘

The beauty of being the old fart of my group. My mates always introduce to to great new stuff I'd never heard of.

The downside, being mistaken for someone's dad!

Edited by philipsteak

Just now, gooner1990 said:

What are your recommendations for this year Skip?

Nia Archives, Daniel Avery, Ruffneck Ting with Dazzee, Booty Bass, Ewan McVicar

African Headcharge, Sparks, Kelis, Gentlemens Dub Club with Hollie Cook, Leftfield, Kae Tempest (she's with some London collective), Billy Nomates

From memory, there's bound to be more

• Upvote 2

For me personally, it's the least enthusiastic I've been over a Glastonbury line up, but I understand it's all about taste. One mans trash is another mans treasure, so for however many of us that aren't too psyched about the line up, there will be just as many who absolutely love it. Aside from having a headliner each night, and Fred Again, there's very little outside a number of DJ's who I'm interested at all in. It will never deter me from heading to the farm if I'm lucky enough to get a ticket, but it is a shame that I keep reading through the same names in hope that I may have missed someone jumps out at me.

I'm sure come the festival I'll be kept busy, and just having the opportunity to catch up with friends I see once a year whilst sat in the sun enjoying a few drinks is more than enough to keep me happy. The chances to venture off into the night after the main acts and find new music will probably be my highlights this year, but at the end of the day it's still Glastonbury and I'm still looking forward to it as much as I could be. 

Hopefully come line up drop day there's a few curve balls in there across the Pyramid or Other that we haven't thought about on here, or the likes of a Pulp do come through and give us a great set on the pyramid. 

10 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

If it's your first time, your concern about the strength of the line-up is about to evaporate into nothingness.

It. Will. Blow. Your. Mind.

Ben

image.png.aea65fba117b68cfefb54622a4215378.png

6 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Nia Archives, Daniel Avery, Ruffneck Ting with Dazzee, Booty Bass, Ewan McVicar

African Headcharge, Sparks, Kelis, Gentlemens Dub Club with Hollie Cook, Leftfield, Kae Tempest (she's with some London collective), Billy Nomates

From memory, there's bound to be more

you loved a bit of Bob Vylan last year, so you should absolutely check out ho99o9 on the Truth stage thursday night 👍

It seems like a lot of the comments about a weaker line-up ultimately come down to personal taste, and people citing bands/acts they wish were there and available. I get it. I would have had similar thoughts had I gone last year as that wouldn't have been a particularly favourable line-up for my tastes. But it still would have been the best weekend of the year.

In terms of the budget question mark, it feels a moot point. GF is obviously working under greater financial constraints than ever due to external factors and yet it's still managed to bag two acts which would demand huge sums from any other festival (GnR/Elton and even AM), in addition to other artists who are in-demand (Lana/Lizzo for e.g.).

It'll all be great and there are still gems to be revealed on the two largest stages. Roll on June. 

Edited by JA_Watts

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Replace Royal Blood with Pulp, Alt J with LCD Soundsysten and Rudimental with Rosalia and - boom - problem solved 

Oh god but then LCD went and did that shockingly boring headline set in 2016. Absolure snoozecore, so much promise and such a let down

• Downvote 1