Any sign of Pulp yet?

angelin

Just now, nikkic said:

Are you on-site already dude? 

No we’re in a relatively spicy hotel nearby (where some artists apparently stay during the festival). Mike Pickering was just on the table next to us so we were trying to eavesdrop (altho it wasn’t him who said what I said)

17 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

We just overheard someone looking relatively important that the chat is that Arctics have cancelled. Pulp headlining? (wishful thinking…)

Let's be honest. The chat on this forum since yesterday news is that they have cancelled. The reality is that they haven't. Would still bet they are in until further notice.

12 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

No we’re in a relatively spicy hotel nearby (where some artists apparently stay during the festival). Mike Pickering was just on the table next to us so we were trying to eavesdrop (altho it wasn’t him who said what I said)

All very intriguing...!  

Yeah but it’s not like phoning in sick to an office job. They have to give Emily time to sort a step in. Can’t have her phoning round just in case when a replacement act would also need time to sort themselves out, even if it’s someone already onsite. Eg even Foos are doing a daytime relatively low-key set so don’t necessarily have their lighting guys or whatever there and ready for action. 

Essentially Arctics need to sh*t or get off the pot really soon.

15 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

There’s no chance Arctics will have cancelled yet, they’ll give it till Thursday I’m sure, so I’m calling bs on that one.

yup they won't have cancelled due to laryngitis 4 days in advance but they will have notified the festival just incase so they have a little bit of time to organise a replacement

Fwiw I respectfully disagree. I don’t think they can leave it until Thursday. I think it’s possible we underestimate how much organisation it takes to replace a headliner. I also don’t think you prepare a headliner just in case - again this sounds like too much organisation - imagine how manic everyone is this close to gate opening. 

Although what I do think is that if they had cancelled they would announce it. 

5 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Fwiw I respectfully disagree. I don’t think they can leave it until Thursday. I think it’s possible we underestimate how much organisation it takes to replace a headliner. I also don’t think you prepare a headliner just in case - again this sounds like too much organisation - imagine how manic everyone is this close to gate opening. 

Totally agree with your disagreement. Lead time for the replacement to get their sh*t together is already incredibly short. And you can’t ask some other act to do that then potentially go “oopsy, Alex says he’s fine, soz”

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

I’d normally agree.  But the Foo Fighters are there 

In reality I suspect if they were cancelling we would know already, or the festival know already but haven't made it public yet. My gut is they will play and they cancelled Dublin as a mitigation.

Edited by Dave_c

1 minute ago, sisco said:

I’d normally agree.  But the Foo Fighters are there 

Yeah, I’m sure Dave would be absolutely elated to step in to headline as I’m almost certain the reason they’re only doing a secret set is because the headliners were already sorted and it’s a bit to soon for them to return as headliners under normal circumstances.

The key points for me here are (both already in this thread):

There's a ready made replacement on site if they are needed to step in. Yes it might not have the usual production, but they're there. 

Conversations will have taken place as soon as Dublin got canned, and a back-up plan will be in place. This has happened once before with Alex (gonna say 2013, not 100% on that though), and he was back in 5 days. There's an argument to say he's had it since Saturday, going off the London performances.

15 hours ago, Drinky said:

Keep an eye on that Sun article in the next 24-48 hours, if they’ve called it wrong I wouldn’t be surprised to see it disappear without any comment

The plot thickens. Wouldn’t you know it, The Sun have edited the article after the fact… they’ve dropped reference to Pulp playing Woodsies, and the day and time, while still claiming they are playing. See the first line here;

image.thumb.jpeg.b500b7d26b17dbc398fc942a7c00247b.jpeg

And here’s how it was yesterday:

image.thumb.jpeg.5c071cf1733b5a844244c3bfb1a0bd97.jpeg

39 minutes ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

If the Arctic Monkeys cancel could Florence and the Machine step in?  They’ve just finished a tour and have just played the same corporate gig that the Foo Fighters are playing tonight. No one has mentioned them as a contender. 

I doubt she’d want her second go at headlining to be yet another instance of having to step in for somebody who pulled out - kind of tarnishes their image of being legitimate headliners.

Plus, Foos are right there, on site, that day - IF Arctics pull out then it’d be kind of mental for it to be anybody else.