Other Opener 2023

Superscally

54 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Ah yeh - Ocean Colour Scene would be amazing. I've just had a listen and remember who they are now!

(Confession which will make you laugh, I get the name of the band mixed up with the Lighthouse Family 🤣🤣 it's because of that song Ocean Drive... pmsl)

Many years ago my older sister asked for the ocean colour scene album for her birthday. Our mum very nearly bought her ocean drive, but our little sister was like "errr, I don't think that's right".

Hang on, you're not bike like my mum, are you? 😂

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Many years ago my older sister asked for the ocean colour scene album for her birthday. Our mum very nearly bought her ocean drive, but our little sister was like "errr, I don't think that's right".

Hang on, you're not bike like my mum, are you? 😂

Hahaha! Hilarious... 

Lighthouses...Ocean...easy mistake to make right? 

15 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

There have been very few worse bands than The Lighthouse Family, that monotone vocal made me unreasonably agitated. God... THE BLAND! IT HURTS!

Well exactly...I did think it was a bit odd that people seemed excited for it 🤣 wrong band...

22 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

There have been very few worse bands than The Lighthouse Family, that monotone vocal made me unreasonably agitated. God... THE BLAND! IT HURTS!

Bland MOR stuff is the worst. If you hear a song, then 10 seconds after it finishes you can’t recall anything about it, that’s THE biggest failure ever. You might not like everything, but if it just leaves no impression at all?! My God.

So, I know they're absolutely nothing like the usual other stage opener....but someone I'd really love to see kick off the festival is Mika! (Sorry not sorry). Such good fun!!

Or anywhere on the lineup for that matter 🥳 

Edited by Bike_Like_A_Mum
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Bland MOR stuff is the worst. If you hear a song, then 10 seconds after it finishes you can’t recall anything about it, that’s THE biggest failure ever. You might not like everything, but if it just leaves no impression at all?! My God.

For me, you’re describing Sam Smith’s entire catalogue (and Six60 for the Far Southerners).

8 hours ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

So, I know they're absolutely nothing like the usual other stage opener....but someone I'd really love to see kick off the festival is Mika! (Sorry not sorry). Such good fun!!

Yes, a bit of a fun upbeat opener. good general appeal that the kids can also enjoy. Kaisers, Franz Ferdinand style band or even Sparks who are already announced. 

8 hours ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Hard to disagree with that.  Something full of energy to kick off the day.  The Hives would also be amazing for this.

8 hours ago, John the Moth said:

For me, you’re describing Sam Smith’s entire catalogue (and Six60 for the Far Southerners).

I could name a lot of acts who fall into this category, Sam Smith would be one of them.  Unpopular opinion maybe, but I'd say the same about The War On Drugs.  Appreciate they're big on here and are darlings of 6Music, but it just washes over me without a trace.  They sound like bad Springsteen B-sides from the 80's that should have been wiped.

13 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

🤣 You have to wait till the chorus to know which song it is because they all sound the same

Surprised to see the negative comments about Lighthouse Family on here.   Ocean Drive is a great album.  Classic of the 90's.  You'll all be hating on M People next 🙂 

12 hours ago, Superscally said:

As in because you missed the Libertines? They were absolutely great. 

I remember a couple of people in front of us at the libertines setting off flares, and the security went proper mental and I heard they got thrown off the site. Imagine getting thrown out of the festival during the opening act.. 

19 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

I remember a couple of people in front of us at the libertines setting off flares, and the security went proper mental and I heard they got thrown off the site. Imagine getting thrown out of the festival during the opening act.. 

Ohhh yeah, I saw them too. The whole vibe just in front of the stage was just soooo nice; at least until this incident...

1 hour ago, Euphoricape said:

they dont half jump the barrier and smash their way through the crowd .... saw it happen for PSBs last year 

27 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

they dont half jump the barrier and smash their way through the crowd .... saw it happen for PSBs last year 

for flares?  I don't know why they are so bothered about them... people back away from them naturally! 

3 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

There were flares galore in John Peel when Gerry Cinnamon played in 2019. Couldn’t see the stage for the smoke at several points. Nobody seemed bothered. 

christ ... I like em kind of but they do stink and are clearly a risk 

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

christ ... I like em kind of but they do stink and are clearly a risk 

Can’t disagree....but that set was early afternoon, and the John Peel was absolutely jumping. I for one loved it. I’m struggling to think of another set I’ve been at with that kind of vibe so early in the day.