Other Opener 2023

Superscally

5 minutes ago, Superscally said:

So who do we think? Seen a couple of people mention Suede (they'd be ace). Ash would be a great shout. Have we ever had a former headliner open a stage?

I have searched for this topic with no success (dunno if search is working properly), so apologies if already started.

search is working ok. 🙂 

7 minutes ago, dreams_burn_down said:

Suede or Manics would be lovely

Yeah my top two realistic choices. I thought Manics being on the first poster might rule them out, and they’re probably more likely to be headlining the Park/be elsewhere what with therm being brought over from 2020, but I remember at least James in 2016 were on the first poster and then opened Other so could be possible. 

2 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

I'd be chuffed with any of acts mentioned above but are Manics a bit TOO big to open Other especially with the is as dumb as me line up this year?

Manics’ popularity/relevance and the size of the venues they’re doing seems to fluctuate constantly, but I wouldn’t say they’re too big. They’d certainly be one of the stronger choices for it but they seem to fit right in with the ‘type’ of acts they’ve had previously, and they’ve got the tunes to pull it off a lot better than some of the previous choices too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Suede or Manics would be a waste. They deserve Park or Woodies headline. 

In theory I'd agree, but I've already got all my headliners sorted and don't need any more horrendous clashes 😅

Obviously the unspoken rule of this slot is you play your old crowd-pleasing hits, and while Suede aren't above that, they are touring a successful new album which might not make them the best fit.

54 minutes ago, deadpheasant said:

Generic 90s/00s Indie band probably with a 'The' in their name.

The Kooks? I know they've done a TBA before but they fit the bill.

im not sure they'll risk that after The Kaiser Chiefs fiasco. 

Althought The Libertines did it last year but expectations are lower since the "Its Prince" days.

Edited by The Nal

41 minutes ago, Obiginnaw said:

Two Door, Wombats , Vaccines or Kooks are all on other lineups this year, they seem the right kinda band to do it 

I enjoyed The Vaccines opener in 2019, great start to the music. Would be happy with any of the other 3 you mentioned too.

Edited by DareToDibble

46 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Very rare I’m awake for the other opener but something like block party would get me out of bed

I'd be there for this.  Love Kele.

I really hope its not Manics. I'm hugely looking forward to seeing them but it's a bit of a lost slot on terms of atmosphere, seems to take a while for people to get going. 

That said at least the new delay towers mean the sound is better further back than it used to be

Edited by efcfanwirral