Where is the firewood?

Leyrulion

7 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

its a bit sad .... the no fires not happening thing ..... the whole site used to be a waft of smoke and other things around 2010 and before 

I really miss the fires. There used to be a layer of smoke that hung over the site in the evening - it added to the vibe I think. On TV coverage from old Pyramid sets it's lovely to see all the fires dotted around the crowd (from that high camera on  that crane arm) - now there's hardly any. I don't know what started the change away from fires. 

• Upvote 1

This seems to have been memory-holed a bit but the nights were really fucking cold last year - Saturday night especially - where sitting around a campfire didn’t really feel like the move when you could be either out in a packed tent somewhere or in a sleeping bag under three layers. We love a campfire but no chance last year when we would have needed something massive to stave off the shivers

Edited by Drinky

6 minutes ago, sunnyshoes said:

I really miss the fires. There used to be a layer of smoke that hung over the site in the evening - it added to the vibe I think. On TV coverage from old Pyramid sets it's lovely to see all the fires dotted around the crowd (from that high camera on  that crane arm) - now there's hardly any. I don't know what started the change away from fires. 

Sadly a lot of those fires were general rubbish, inc plastic bottles. 

There used to be a “fire pit” crew that operated during the litter pick, going round picking out nails, glass etc from fire pits. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Sadly a lot of those fires were general rubbish, inc plastic bottles. 

There used to be a “fire pit” crew that operated during the litter pick, going round picking out nails, glass etc from fire pits. 

Oh maybe it's for the best then and that Glastonbury smoke hanging over us was actually not great. I naively thought people had carried the firewood around. 

6 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

Somebody in my camping group bought one of @Sawdusty surfer's Swedish Log Candles in, I think, 2017 and we sat around that chatting until the sun came up - magical evening. 

Haven't made any to sell for a while. 

The price of larch and spruce cordwood kept creeping up and then doubled in late 2020. 

Couldn't bring myself to ask people to pay the price that would make selling them worthwhile. 

Having said that, some people are still buying tomatoes 😄

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

"making 2022 the first year they had leftover free firewood,"

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/mar/03/arctic-monkeys-guns-n-roses-elton-john-all-male-glastonbury-headliners-a-pipeline-problem-says-emily-eavis

Where is this firewood kept? I've never seen piles of it on site.

9 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

its a bit sad .... the no fires not happening thing ..... the whole site used to be a waft of smoke and other things around 2010 and before 

I miss the camp fires so much.

And that general smoky haze across the site, that just used to hover like a fog at a certain height, given the right atmospheric conditions.

And about 50% of that smoky haze wasn't from the campfires, as was the style at the time.

I miss that as well.

(Oh. Wait. I missed your phrase, "other things").

5 hours ago, IFinallyGotATicket said:

So if I go and get myself wood can I just have a fire at my tent 

Does anyone have the room these days in general camping? But saying that, I probably had room for one last year in Row Mead. First time for a long time I've thought that. That really is quite surprising to me, given my perception of the crowds last year.

3 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Just gone through first list old son.. I do a list of every act listen to them and Mark them outa 5

Heres my list so far. Fuck lots of love 0s which means fuck off lol IMG_20230303_191613278.thumb.jpg.d69a7f36fb55c233d5b3b5af2e894e28.jpg

After a brief skim read...

"Slowthai 0. Rap crap".

Did you stay?

Agree with the rap crap thing. Went to see him blind (or is that deaf) in '19 at WH just on the back of Q magazine raving about him.

Totally didn't really get the music, and was initially irritated by what I thought was the usual, bossy, "C'mon Glastonbury, say what I tell you, when I tell you. That's not loud enough. You can do better. Now do what I tell you, etc.", done to death shtick.

But fuck me did it turn into one of the best crowds I've ever witnessed anywhere. You're not meant to mosh like that at WH are you!? A happening for me.

"She's gonna get crushed".

Like an IDLES gig, but a younger crowd with less of a love vibe.

1 hour ago, IFinallyGotATicket said:

So where is all this wood meant to be burnt 🤷

So, to get back on thread.

See above. Not much room in general camping generally these days.

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

but sometimes people arrange tents so they can have a fire or...

The Landgrabbers! First mention this year maybe? Always topical.

I was called out for being a bit over the the top for comparing certain behaviour to a certain someone around this time last year iirc.

___

Apologies. I've had a stressful day. I'm distracting myself.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Used to sell those flares.. 

Buy them off some bloke in the travelers field and try and make some money for pills but fuck they were dangerous lolol sell and move on... 

Also used to set off massive fireworks at the top of the pyramid field on Thursday night .. My friend had a shop... They were like rpg things..the old bill even searched our tents cos they and the security were not happy lol. 

You also had the Stella sellers... Again 3 for a fiver or 1.50 each ... I remember being so off my head I couldn't get the money bit ended up with this bloke who had a wheelbarrow full of Stella and helping him hawk them out.. 

You could even tip the bins over and sit on them when it was wet without people giving you the LOOK 

Still that was then.. There was Alot more thieving etc which isn't so bad nowadays.. 

Those wax flares in a crowd used to freak me out.. Fine by the fire, horrendous walking around with!!

17 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I wish we had photos, but it was the day before mobiles phones. I remember one particular year we made a massive stretcher out of planks and dragged a huge amount of wood from the railway up to big ground. 
Not many having fires nowadays. 

9 hours ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Haven't made any to sell for a while. 

The price of larch and spruce cordwood kept creeping up and then doubled in late 2020. 

Couldn't bring myself to ask people to pay the price that would make selling them worthwhile. 

Having said that, some people are still buying tomatoes 😄

If there's enough interest, I may make some this year on a preorder basis. 

Incidentally, the correct name for them is Somerset Log Candles, not Swedish. This stems from the fact that when the vikings invaded Somerset they found that the Somerset Levels dwellers were using these clever log candles as the ground was either very wet or flooded and they kept the fire from being extinguished. They then nicked the idea to use back in viking lands to keep the fire off the snow 😁

Edited by Sawdusty surfer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, PassingCloud said:

I wish we had photos, but it was the day before mobiles phones. I remember one particular year we made a massive stretcher out of planks and dragged a huge amount of wood from the railway up to big ground. 
Not many having fires nowadays. 

We used to do this. 1st job after the tents were up was to go and get the firewood. 

I miss the campfires at Glasto, I always thought the fact that they gave you free firewood was something that made the festival special. It's nice to have more late night options though. 

I don't miss the campfires at Reading, but that's because it was just piles of burning rubbish with the odd deodorant can thrown in for excitement. I haven't been to Reading for about 20 years but I assume it hasn't changed. 

10 minutes ago, Metal Monkey said:

I don't miss the campfires at Reading, but that's because it was just piles of burning rubbish with the odd deodorant can thrown in for excitement. I haven't been to Reading for about 20 years but I assume it hasn't changed. 

As I mentioned above, there is a ban on fires at Reading from this year.

4 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

This year it's NO fires at Reading!

Yea but tbh when you see what they do at some of the younger crowd festivals its probably a good thing.. 

Watching them throwing everything at each other would only take some one to launch a bit of wood and it could be a disaster.. 

I was looking at boardmasters and it was like a war zone.. 

• 3 months later...
12 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

News I've just received

There will be no central supply of firewood on site this year.

That's a shame. Not surprising as I'm sure even the waste wood they could get now has a hight value. 

Just one more little change which makes me sad 😞

10 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Bring your own wood year then?

Did that one year. Lugged in a couple of those garage bags of firewood. Hands were burning by the time we got them to camp, which ironically is more than the bloody wood ever did 

• Upvote 1