Metal at Glastonbury 2023

jonday81

My two big things have always been heavy rock and progressive/psychedelic rock. These days I always do Download with Oxfam and Glastonbury. Although Download is a very different set up with an actual Arena, etc, I tend to find I'm having an equally good time as it is such a mega friendly crowd who are there almost exclusively for the actual performers, not because it's the hip thing to be seen at. They book a huge range of up and coming bands (I saw Sleep Token - a complete mystery to most people then - headline the second stage in 2021, Wargasm and Employed To Serve (who I saw supporting Gojira last week) and are generally great in promoting new, young talent. Glastonbury seems to be still meshed in the "has to be hip or at least BBC friendly" school of thought.

• Upvote 1

Know this is a metal thread but with Turnstile putting a bit of a limelight on Hardcore again and Outbreak being the same weekend I feel like there is little excuse or a wasted opportunity to book some of the bands that have managed to break into some crossover appeal. Soul Glo, Scowl, Zulu and Show Me the Body would all be good fits for Glasto, embody the ethos of the festival, have found some recognition outside of the Hardcore community and are at Outbreak. Even an older band like Converge would be a nice fit with Jane Doe being a fairly iconic album within music in general.

Not asking for bands like Sunami or Trapped Under Ice to play but the ones above would make great additions in my opinion.

Edited by justanothername

1 minute ago, justanothername said:

fit the ethos of the festival

I keep reading this recently, esp in relation to acts being booked.

What is people perception of the ethos of the festival re bookings?

I don't believe there is one. Just about every type of performer has appeared at some point.

3 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I keep reading this recently, esp in relation to acts being booked.

What is people perception of the ethos of the festival re bookings?

I don't believe there is one. Just about every type of performer has appeared at some point.

More left leaning politically, I’m assuming, which is obviously pretty prevalent in the punk world. 

10 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

This is what people imagine and like to think, but it's not strictly true: Bowie, Nick Cave, Van Morrison etc

Jeremy Corbyn made a speech on the Pyramid in 2017. Artists performing is one thing but having the biggest left wing politician in the country at the time speak on the main stage is far more telling of that festivals political leanings and beliefs.

Edited by justanothername

1 minute ago, justanothername said:

Jeremy Corbyn made a speech on the Pyramid in 2017. Artists performing is one thing but having the biggest left wing politician in the country at the time speak on the main stage is far more telling of that festivals political leanings and beliefs.

I'm not arguing that the festival overall doesn't have an ethos, I'm just suggesting that this doesn't apply to bookings. With over 100 stages it would be impossible to police.