Areas that would benefit from a "revamp"

Skip997

21 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

That's so funny, how differently people can see things! I LOVE that it's called the Other stage. It's so beautifully understated. I would never want that to change!

Ben

I agree with this.  But I do think it's probably my least favourite stage/area on site.  I can't say why.  Even with the bigger stage, sound system improvements etc. I still get no "feels" from it like I do others and even acts I love playing there don't seem to come across as well.  Just think it lacks identity and character.

On 2/7/2023 at 10:11 AM, Justcalledtosay said:

I’m surprised no one’s mentioned the Other stage. It serves its purpose, it’s just a bit… meh

I don't see any problem with the other stage? Always enjoyed things on there. Decent sound now. Easy to get in an out. It serves its purpose well as the second stage imo

I find the SE corner just way to busy at peak times. Don't know if a revamp is the answer. Maybe make another area of the festival appeal at that time of night.. I know they moved arcadia out of there but it was so busy on the Saturday night last year I felt we just walked through it and straight out as didn't want to battle the crowds

3 hours ago, plaskins said:

Think this would help sort my thoughts in post above. 

100%. There's been days where its been a really long one and our group will just head home post-headliners. Not because we want to go home but we just want something a bit more chilled than SEC. I reckon there's an untapped demand to running places with a more pub vibe early into the morning. 

12 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That already exists in plenty of places all across the site.

After the headliners there's nothing on the way to gate A , we were going to go the bar in the woods each night on our way to the bus but it wasn't there last year 😭

3 hours ago, dmedxb said:

100%. There's been days where its been a really long one and our group will just head home post-headliners. Not because we want to go home but we just want something a bit more chilled than SEC. I reckon there's an untapped demand to running places with a more pub vibe early into the morning. 

Try Strummerville or Small World in Green Futures.

Just two possibilities

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Presumably you finish the headliners near a stage though. Those often have bars near them e.g. if you watch a headliner at West Holts you can go for drinks in the West Holts Bar.

Yeah your right there's plenty on that side, I was just saying that over towards gate A there's no bars or anything where you can go and have some beers after the headliners. Just a few bars on the long depressing walk to gate A would be great, they don't even need to have any music if noise is the issue . We like the cockmill bar but they wanted to close at 11pm on the Friday , not sure if they close that early all the time or if it was a staffing problem 🤷🏼‍♂️ were staying in east campervan field again this year so no issues at all with late night drinking 👏👏👏

9 hours ago, plaskins said:

I don't see any problem with the other stage? Always enjoyed things on there. Decent sound now. Easy to get in an out. It serves its purpose well as the second stage imo

I find the SE corner just way to busy at peak times. Don't know if a revamp is the answer. Maybe make another area of the festival appeal at that time of night.. I know they moved arcadia out of there but it was so busy on the Saturday night last year I felt we just walked through it and straight out as didn't want to battle the crowds

It's interesting because when i first joined this website, there was a lot of people complaining how the Other stage just had nothing about it. It was generic and without character.

17 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

It's interesting because when i first joined this website, there was a lot of people complaining how the Other stage just had nothing about it. It was generic and without character.

By making all main stages special they lose character and in some cases become less functional (see Arcadia), like tomorrowland has all their crazy stages but they serve no real purpose.

JP is just a tent at the end of the day, pyramid is pointy and WH and Park are just standard festival stages. Its more the music on Other thats the issue i think for some people, its not as like genre consistent i guess as WH for example

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

By making all main stages special they lose character and in some cases become less functional (see Arcadia), like tomorrowland has all their crazy stages but they serve no real purpose.

JP is just a tent at the end of the day, pyramid is pointy and WH and Park are just standard festival stages. Its more the music on Other thats the issue i think for some people, its not as like genre consistent i guess as WH for example

It's a strange thing with the Other stage, but of the bigger venues there it's hands down my least favourite for reasons I can't determine.  Tents seem to naturally generate buzz and atmosphere, especially as they cut out most daylight and contain sound better.  Of the open stages, Pyramid and Park are more natural amphitheatres so work well in that regard.  I'd suppose that it being completely flat and a major thoroughfare in a way might be something to do with it, but you could level that at West Holts, which doesn't have the same lack of identity and feel.  Odd one really.

7 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

It's a strange thing with the Other stage, but of the bigger venues there it's hands down my least favourite for reasons I can't determine.  Tents seem to naturally generate buzz and atmosphere, especially as they cut out most daylight and contain sound better.  Of the open stages, Pyramid and Park are more natural amphitheatres so work well in that regard.  I'd suppose that it being completely flat and a major thoroughfare in a way might be something to do with it, but you could level that at West Holts, which doesn't have the same lack of identity and feel.  Odd one really.

West Holts is an enclosed area which helps. And the Pyramid contours make it generally more appealing. There's nothing wrong with the Other stage as such, it's just the blandness of the surroundings.

Also, in wet muddy years, it's more of a hassle than most of the other main stages.

25 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Issue with the other stage is that it's also a the through route to loads of the site so at the back it's busy but not with people watching the sets

That may be a factor and the fact it's completely open on both sides.  Plus not only is it a permanently busy track at the back, all the food stands there seem to be overpriced crap.

8 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

That may be a factor and the fact it's completely open on both sides.  Plus not only is it a permanently busy track at the back, all the food stands there seem to be overpriced crap.

West holt opens out into a v shape from the stage to the back or feels that way they also have returning traders that are good and a bar in a tent. Other stage area is hard to say where it starts and ends, it's just not well defined.

3 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

West holt opens out into a v shape from the stage to the back or feels that way they also have returning traders that are good and a bar in a tent. Other stage area is hard to say where it starts and ends, it's just not well defined.

stuff  down both sides and a hedge at the rear .... makes it enclosed to me