Areas that would benefit from a "revamp"

Skip997

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I spent a good chunk of the Wednesday night in Platform 23, which was new last year - a two story venue with an old tube carriage embedded in it (I presume recycled from the Earache Stage)

Where was this😂

17 hours ago, a6l6e6x said:

Get stuff going on in silver Hayes until the late hours again, need a alternative to south east 

100% this. With more people attending than ever, people need a bit of spreading out and the obvious answer is to do more with SH - the opposite end from SEC! 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I spent a good chunk of the Wednesday night in Platform 23, which was new last year - a two story venue with an old tube carriage embedded in it (I presume recycled from the Earache Stage)

Always half empty every time I passed it! 😁 Really springy floor IIRC.

Probably not peak times, I guess

Arcadia spider overrated, mix it up

Unfairground shabby, needs some love / complete overhaul 

Silver Hayes can be a wasteland at times, Hanger sounds like a great idea

Get a late night stage for bands somewhere

The JP side of the Pyramid and that area between the two stages is just weird, not got any suggestions on what to do about it though

Just now, leath02 said:

The JP side of the Pyramid and that area between the two stages is just weird, not got any suggestions on what to do about it though

Yeah, that feels like dead space. Maybe a late-night area for non-electronic music would be an idea, if they have the room and licensing allows 

4 minutes ago, leath02 said:

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yeah, that feels like dead space. Maybe a late-night area for non-electronic music would be an idea, if they have the room and licensing allows 

I thought San Remo was a great change up last year. 

Glastonbury+2022+Nomad+Live+6.jpg

22 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Always half empty every time I passed it! 😁 Really springy floor IIRC.

Probably not peak times, I guess

It was just nicely jumping when we were in. But then I was in the SE corner 4 nights out of 5 and didn't witness any of the big crowds that others did.

31 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

They replaced it with a full sized crane and people didn't like it.

Personally thought the Crane was better and had way more potential for expansion and evolution

Ove you've seenthe spider blow it's flame load once, you've seen it a thousands times. Although their lasers are exceptional there

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Jose Pose said:

Unless SH suddenly gets a big budget increase there isn’t much you can do with it. The flat horizon doesn’t help, but you can’t really do much about that without the budget to build some big instillations to replace the standard festival tents they have. If you could do that you’d greatly enhance the character of the area, but otherwise it would be a struggle.

It's also constrained by being the main walkway between the West camping fields and the rest of the festival. It's never going to be a great post-headliner area due to the sheer number of disinterested people walking through the middle of it in the hours immediately after the headliners finish.

18 hours ago, BambooShanks said:

It's a shame  that shangri la has become a victim of it's own success.   I loved the microvenues and installations they used to have but it just isn't safe to do so with how popular it is.  

But as much as I moan, I can't wait to be back there and will have a great time regardless.

Yeah I think the fact is Shangri-La used to bring dance music, theatrical performances, installation art and immersive theatre. And now it's just dance music, and to some extent installation art but it's barely changed in years.

I was hopeful about Rimski's Yard but it's just a bit naff and feels like an extension of the rest of that area with many of the same performers and feel... which was probably the idea so it's probably a success by that measure - but with it being so out of the way it's pot-luck if you turn up and there's anything interesting happening (as nothing is scheduled).

But I do think "what if that space was given to someone doing something exciting and different" - either to the folk that used to do the more experimental theatre stuff in Shangri-La or to a different group like Parabolic or Punchdrunk or someone. 

3 hours ago, leath02 said:

San Remo does prove that its very much possible to pull people completely away from the SE corner to that side of the site. San Remo looks cool (never made it there) but its just a indoor stage at the end of the day, its clearly the acts that are doing it.

Team Love need to look at what San Remo are doing right and then focus on trying to replicate that bookings wise. I feel like SH doesn't have a mainstay genre - perhaps that could be an opportunity of where to focus on. Most other dance areas seem to have a focus except Arcadia but that has the big acts so it doesn't need to (and a fuck off spider shooting off fire). Not sure what genre I'd suggest, maybe something on the less heavy end given its 3am closing time.

5 hours ago, leath02 said:

Get a late night stage for bands somewhere

Great shout. Thought the same myself before.

5 hours ago, leath02 said:

Appreciate San Remo is there but wonder if it’s possible to add a late night venue for bands in this area somewhere. 

San Remo was good but I echo the issues with the area surrounding it, basically food stands and bogs. Silver Hayes I found myself really enjoying Saturday night for Avalon Emerson at WOW but in the day it felt lifeless. I'm really not a fan of the hanger at Parklife, but potentially a number of WOW like areas that are a bit more enclosed would help build some atmosphere.

Arcadia is pants imo.

I echo the comments about the late night area "weirdness" that has been missing since about 2011.  The Trash City micro-venues, the oxygen bars, playing Dracula at ping pong for tequila shots, the "Dusk Til Dawn" bar they had with vampire dancers in.  I really miss that element.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Glastonbury-on-sea, perhaps telling that it's not even on people's minds.

Feels like a phenomenal waste of time, resources and camping space to me. Lovely idea and really impressive to go and see it once, but probably the area that offers the least in the entire festival.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DareToDibble said:

Great shout. Thought the same myself before.

Appreciate San Remo is there but wonder if it’s possible to add a late night venue for bands in this area somewhere. 

If you mean going on until 6am ish then no. They're only allowed that in SE corner and park stage area on the licence. Admittedly they don't really use the park stage as late as they could in theory do so. 

I really enjoyed the set design which went into San Remo and lonely hearts (and IICON) more of that please around John Peel, left field, circus, glasto Latino, cabaret etc. 

Edit: Also add Glastonbury on sea to that set design love. Would just prefer it to have a bit more on around it musically. 

Edited by Leyrulion

4 hours ago, FrancisH said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned Glastonbury-on-sea, perhaps telling that it's not even on people's minds.

Feels like a phenomenal waste of time, resources and camping space to me. Lovely idea and really impressive to go and see it once, but probably the area that offers the least in the entire festival.

It's incredibly underwhelming. I'm glad they're willing to try risky things that might fail, but the flip side that means sometimes a new initiative will fail and this one has.  Time to bin it off and give the space back to the tents.

Or stick a tent there with acoustic music or something, but don't keep it and don't add any more dance music venues.

4 hours ago, FrancisH said:

Didn't go last year so genuinely surprised this survived after 2019. Doesn't sound like it evolved then, but was it at least finished on time?