Camping Plans for 2024

Supernintendo Chalmers

1 minute ago, p.pete said:

Do you mean in terms of what you pack, or what time you arrive / what gate you aim for?  You've said you aim for bus too, so that doesn't allow much flexibility, so interested in what a perfected entrance is.  Still feel like it's carnage most years - reckon I'll have properly forgotten what I'm doing when I'm getting ready this year!

last year was the first time I got the bus ... so at the moment we drop the car laiden up with most kit in the carpark tue  night  and return home .... catch the bus next day and take minimal requirements tent and a light rucksack and go in and set up . then a trip to carpark where we load up bike trailers and rest of the kit and renter ... 

Now i've worked it a couple of times, but the thought of going back to being a punter: having the campsite setup as so much more of a logistical pain in the arse, and not being able to have a nice sitdown and a pint in the staff bars - well it just doesnt appeal to me. Im well aboard the oxfam train and there i shall stay

5 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

last year was the first time I got the bus ... so at the moment we drop the car laiden up with most kit in the carpark tue  night  and return home .... catch the bus next day and take minimal requirements tent and a light rucksack and go in and set up . then a trip to carpark where we load up bike trailers and rest of the kit and renter ... 

I reckon you of all people would really love working it. I'm not even sure if you'd go back to being a regular punter

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I reckon you of all people would really love working it. I'm not even sure if you'd go back to being a regular punter

its the outside the fence camping that puts me off tbh ... I like to return to my tent and physically im not sure id manage it with my back issues 

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

its the outside the fence camping that puts me off tbh ... I like to return to my tent and physically im not sure id manage it with my back issues 

It really depends who you work with. For instance, the T&C camp is in Orchard Meadow and it takes ten minutes to walk from there to the south east corner (via the short cut), about the same to the main entrance next to the circus field and five minutes to the entrance to the cabaret field. It's still probably closer than areas like South Park, Dairy, Baileys, Bushy, etc

Just now, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

It really depends who you work with. For instance, the T&C camp is in Orchard Meadow and it takes ten minutes to walk from there to the south east corner (via the short cut), about the same to the main entrance next to the circus field and five minutes to the entrance to the cabaret field. It's still probably closer than areas like South Park, Dairy, Baileys, Bushy, etc

yep very true , depends what you like I guess 🙂 

12 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Nice - that's properly thought through!  I'm in Devon, so close but not quite close enough to justify going home again after parking up / the public transport isn't really set up to get to & from the festival.  Assume if you're arriving back by bus in the morning, you can get in fairly smoothly and you're carrying minimal stuff - top marks!

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I park up in Dragon Field, which is right next to Unfairground.

Think your taking about a different short cut to me.

1 minute ago, p.pete said:

Nice - that's properly thought through!  I'm in Devon, so close but not quite close enough to justify going home again after parking up / the public transport isn't really set up to get to & from the festival.  Assume if you're arriving back by bus in the morning, you can get in fairly smoothly and you're carrying minimal stuff - top marks!

we go down in convoy night before drop the car and the car following picks up the driver and returns 

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2023 at 9:14 AM, WMWMOfficial said:

Hey, can someone give me some advice 😅 First time ever coming to Glastonbury (ARRIVING WEDNESDAY) and just wondering what the best place(s) to camp are for someone getting by coach, wanting a bit of quiet at night but not TOO far (max like 15-35 mins from everything such as JP, Pyramid etc.) 🙂

We are in the same boat, First timers, Arriving Wednesday and by coach and wanting somewhere quiet(ish) At night

We've been looking at Darble (near coach drop off) and the two campsites on the hills - Hitchin & Lime Kiln, These look like they are quite far from everything at night so will be quiet i imagine, Only thing from what i've read is hitchin &  lime kiln are on slopes but i have no idea how bad the slopes are! 

2 hours ago, Liam_G said:

We are in the same boat, First timers, Arriving Wednesday and by coach and wanting somewhere quiet(ish) At night

We've been looking at Darble (near coach drop off) and the two campsites on the hills - Hitchin & Lime Kiln, These look like they are quite far from everything at night so will be quiet i imagine, Only thing from what i've read is hitchin &  lime kiln are on slopes but i have no idea how bad the slopes are! 

I always camp in Darble when I go by coach. It’s quiet, quite a walk in and back at night, but you’ll be thankful on Monday morning to be so close to the coach station. Yes, Hitchin and LK are on slopes, not bad at the bottom, but steeper the further towards the fence you go.

Edited by Tranquility of Solitude

After camping several different spots over the years (Pennards, Pylon, even Dragons field in my first year before it got closed to public) ive been at Michaels Mead/Hawkwell for the last 4 or so years. Love how central it is, but high up enough so you're away from the massive crowds. Most importantly the sounds of Pyramid Stage wake you up if you've had a really late one! 

If im lucky enough to get a ticket in the resale i'l most likely be heading back there this year

I'm a Hitchin Hill regular (usually in line with the UNESCO flag that helps guide us in at the end of the day) but spent the weekend next door in Lime Kiln last year. The slope was noticeably slopier and fell off the camping mat numerous times each night but the views of the site as you go to bed and wake up each morning are spectacular. Happily watched the fireworks (and heard them several seconds later!) from our camp.

And hope to be up here again this coming June if successful in the resale.

Edited by Fingerbobs

On 1/16/2023 at 10:01 AM, p.pete said:

Wednesday is a good start - depends when you are arriving on Wednesday too.  As per posts above if it's Wednesday afternoon then you'll pretty much want to find somewhere close to the Gate (A) that you arrive through, whereas if you make it through the queue before 10/11 am then you have more choice - the earlier the better basically.  Good thing arriving by bus, as per earlier posts, if your bus IS arriving relatively earlier they do 'try' to get people in from the bus queue as quick as they can (so the buses don't get backed up).

Also, if it's just yourself (with a small tent) then your options remain good later into the day - you can usually squeeze in somewhere.  Bigger tent / more people and things are harder (don't worry, lots of other people will be arriving at the same time and you can chat with them about what they're aiming for too!)

Central spots are Oxylers (by Other), Pennards (by Park) and Big Ground (by Pyramid) - nowhere is 15 minutes walk from everything - you'll appreciate that when you get there 😄 

Take it normal punters can't enter through gate A? 

2 minutes ago, neil93 said:

Pretty sure it's possible if you've come via car and parked on the west side of the site. Staff might try and gentle steer everyone towards Ped Gate D, but I seem to remember that you head to Ped Gate A instead if you want to.

First time Glasto-goer this year going by coach (Wednesday, no word on timings yet). I’ve already read Tort’s guide but wondering if anyone else has any camp recommendations.

We want somewhere a bit quieter but not super out of the way from the action (I’m aware we’ll be walking tons regardless).

Edited by Punisher

38 minutes ago, grayfitz said:

Pretty sure it's possible if you've come via car and parked on the west side of the site. Staff might try and gentle steer everyone towards Ped Gate D, but I seem to remember that you head to Ped Gate A instead if you want to.

Was in the pink car parks out west last year and wandered straight up to Gate A no probs but recall previous years when stewards were directing over to Gate D so knowing where you are/having a little map with you certainly helps just to be safe if you need Gate A.

1 hour ago, neil93 said:

you can but it's basically two queues - one for coach arrivals and one for the others and the coach queue gets priority.

We spent about 4 hours in the gate A queue in 2019 which was absolutely brutal in the heat.  

3 hours ago, Punisher said:

First time Glasto-goer this year going by coach (Wednesday, no word on timings yet). I’ve already read Tort’s guide but wondering if anyone else has any camp recommendations.

We want somewhere a bit quieter but not super out of the way from the action (I’m aware we’ll be walking tons regardless).

just head to one of the ones near Gate A i'd say. I was in Dairy and it wasn't loud but fairly in, or head more towards John Peel way perhaps. Anywhere close is just loud really

19 hours ago, BambooShanks said:

you can but it's basically two queues - one for coach arrivals and one for the others and the coach queue gets priority.

Both being classed as 'normal punters', though I think coach people can rightly be more smug with hopefully a shorter queue, better environmental choices, less crap with them etc.  

2 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Both being classed as 'normal punters', though I think coach people can rightly be more smug with hopefully a shorter queue, better environmental choices, less crap with them etc.  

Most definitely. We ended up going by coach the following festival and barely queued for an hour - It definitely made up for the (small) downsides of going by coach

• Upvote 1

• Crazyfool01 changed the title to Camping Plans for 2024