Camping Plans for 2024

Supernintendo Chalmers

On 4/29/2024 at 2:36 PM, cgall said:

Pennards last year but personally didnt think it's worth having to get in super early. Great location and toilet situation was quite decent, but it was pretty loud all night - thinking Oxylers this year!

Every year I've been I've camped in Oxlyers, close to the Co-op. It's a great location in my opinion. Lock-ups are very close too. It's right next to the Other and the Pyramid is 15 mins. Not too far a walk back from SEC and Silver Hayes is close by. 10-15 mins from PGD. Never been too loud for me but I guess it's just a matter of luck whoever camps next to you.

• Like 1

Looking for a new spot this year, unless they remove the Wicket expansion that came in last year (fingers crossed)

We've got about 9 tents in our group, won't be getting to the queue unit about 7ish Wednesday morning

Does anyone have any experience with the little triangle of camping at the top of Bushy? It's clear in overhead photo from last year, but not clear on the map (where the red X is). Looks to be quite a bit of space there, but I'm guessing that might be down to what looks like the bins in the photo.

image.thumb.jpeg.9c2fbd261e5c36fc0ef31e03f16c4a70.jpeg

Hoping for a Dairy ground hedge spot this year but we'll see how early we can get out of bed and in the queue. Easy when there's just me, not so easy when there's 4 fools with me who like to get very drunk in the queue (Fun but really throws any organisation out the window)

55 minutes ago, mazola said:

Looking for a new spot this year, unless they remove the Wicket expansion that came in last year (fingers crossed)

We've got about 9 tents in our group, won't be getting to the queue unit about 7ish Wednesday morning

Does anyone have any experience with the little triangle of camping at the top of Bushy? It's clear in overhead photo from last year, but not clear on the map (where the red X is). Looks to be quite a bit of space there, but I'm guessing that might be down to what looks like the bins in the photo.

Camped near there in '22 and there was some sort of drainage issue near the stream and a load of trucks pumping away for hours . The path up to Silver Hayes was pretty rank. Can't speak for last year though. 

We arrived about 11am, was plenty of space to West of that triangle 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, mazola said:

It’s not bins you can see in the triangle, it’s 2 sets of raised metal toilets and a urinal.

We arrived on the coach in 2023 and joined the queue around 07:30. Loads of space in Bushy at that time.

Thinking it could fill up a bit earlier this year following the improvements to Silver Hayes and if Pylon stays closed to general public.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Fishinginthelongdrops said:

It’s not bins you can see in the triangle, it’s 2 sets of raised metal toilets and a urinal.

We arrived on the coach in 2023 and joined the queue around 07:30. Loads of space in Bushy at that time.

Thinking it could fill up a bit earlier this year following the improvements to Silver Hayes and if Pylon stays closed to general public.

Aah cheers, I'll swerve that then! Maybe look at going a bit deeper into Bushy. We did camp there once a few years back but it seemed so far away I didn't really want to go back, but it's getting harder each year to find space for our group.

On 4/29/2024 at 2:38 PM, Little Andy said:

Any recommendations for quiet camping spots available later on the Thursday near the coach station ... and preferably not on a hill?

On 4/29/2024 at 2:56 PM, aj6658 said:

First time coming via coach on a Thursday. Realistically where should we go?

These are basically the same question.

Pylon probably your best bet, there will be boards showing campsite occupancy / ask stewards. If you are only 1-2 tents you can squeeze in a better campsite potentially.

22 hours ago, mazola said:

We were somewhere around here and really liked it. Not too noisy, plenty of space even until around 3pm wednesday.

We would end up walking into SH for breakfast etc, there were longdrops just to the right of the pink circle last year and theres proper nice toilets just inside SH.

Only camped there last year but i think we'll do it again. Little bit hilly but not too bad, the top right of the triangle is quite low lying and could definitely be an issue if wet i think (also lots of through traffic)

I would definitely avoid the triangle - your either near busy paths all night or the long drops to be honest. Soundbleed from SH caused no issues btw

image.png.102fc8a1d2b7365f1a0847827f9a468e.png

Edited by gfa
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, mazola said:

Cheers, thinking anywhere in photo will do really. Handy for gate D as well.

Soundbleed from Silver Hayes not an isssue, they will be finishing before we do

good point actually - same here!

it didn't wake me up in the morning either though

Edited by gfa

10 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

Thank you, but if I'm reading the map correctly, isn't Pylon for staff only?

Pylon was crew only for the first time last year. 

I'm crew and was camped nearby. Based on the fact that we are not moving, I think Pylon will be crew again this year too.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, deepkittycaz said:

Pylon was crew only for the first time last year. 

I'm crew and was camped nearby. Based on the fact that we are not moving, I think Pylon will be crew again this year too.

It is happy/sorry to confirm that

3 hours ago, Little Andy said:

Thank you, but if I'm reading the map correctly, isn't Pylon for staff only?

my mistake. there will be space best bet is acting on the day and looking at boards / talking to stewards (or get mates to take your tent wednesday)

• Thanks 1

We normally camp on kidney mead after queuing overnight on the Tuesday but this year we will be arriving at around 2pm on the Wednesday. 

Where would we be looking for space at this time? 

Doesn’t have to be around the pyramid this year. There’s only 2 of us and we’re happy to try somewhere different 

45 minutes ago, JohnnyUtah24 said:

Sorry for the boring newbie post thats probably already been answered 100 times but can you still buy tents/sleeping bags etc at the festival? Last time i went i think the guys were called 'happy campers' but ive heard theyre long gone now?

yes, I'm sure there was more than two stalls last year, but you'll be paying a premium for the stuff

I know some will even blow up the air matresses up for you

Got a group of 10 going. Me and my pal got tickets in the resale and have learned most of the group that have had tickets since October haven't got any travel plans sorted and obviously all of the early coaches and trains are booked.

I've been the most, and always get there early AM. Three of the the eight tents needed can get in the queue around around 4/5 (one drop off, one car park) and the rest don't look like they can get in the queue till maybe around 3pm? I've been in a few campsites over the years, Oxylers being my favourite, Paines a close second.

I've got no idea what it's like at any time of day via any travel options other than getting drop off point around 3am.

What hope is there about getting everyone together when everyone is arriving at different times? I'm under the impression impossible.

Is there any kind of record of what times each campsite reach capacity at all?

Edited by nowyouregideon

14 minutes ago, nowyouregideon said:

What hope is there about getting everyone together when everyone is arriving at different times? I'm under the impression impossible.

Not impossible but definitely going to be a struggle. You can save space for some people but not 5 large tents and you would have to stay at the camp site the whole day. No way of taking all the tents in the car? 

1 minute ago, EavisAintDead said:

Not impossible but definitely going to be a struggle. You can save space for some people but not 5 large tents and you would have to stay at the camp site the whole day. No way of taking all the tents in the car? 

unless there's tents pushed v close together they'd be almost having to fight people off

22 minutes ago, nowyouregideon said:

Got a group of 10 going. Me and my pal got tickets in the resale and have learned most of the group that have had tickets since October haven't got any travel plans sorted and obviously all of the early coaches and trains are booked.

I've been the most, and always get there early AM. Three of the the eight tents needed can get in the queue around around 4/5 (one drop off, one car park) and the rest don't look like they can get in the queue till maybe around 3pm? I've been in a few campsites over the years, Oxylers being my favourite, Paines a close second.

I've got no idea what it's like at any time of day via any travel options other than getting drop off point around 3am.

I would suggest whoever is arriving first to take as many tents as possible in with you on that first trip and then go back out for your rucksacks etc....then hopefully the remaining tents arriving at 3pm can squeeze in around you.

After 3 loyal years at Dairy, we're going to try our luck at Big Ground. Will be trekking from Gate A (good luck me) where we'll be rocking up off the coach at 7am, but we do have some friends who will be in the Gate B queue overnight. Hopefully we won't be too much further behind them and will still have space for 2 tents.

28 minutes ago, nowyouregideon said:

just take all the tents etc and get your mates to bring your booze, other heavy stuff in as a thank you

16 minutes ago, woyski said:

After 3 loyal years at Dairy, we're going to try our luck at Big Ground. Will be trekking from Gate A (good luck me) where we'll be rocking up off the coach at 7am, but we do have some friends who will be in the Gate B queue overnight. Hopefully we won't be too much further behind them and will still have space for 2 tents.

Last year we queued up at Gate B around 5:00am. We were in by 9:30am and Big Ground and most of Kidney Mead were already full. However, that might be down to Row Mead being closed for camping. Not sure what the situation will be this year. There was plenty of room in 2019 at the same time. 

Edited by a.shep
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyUtah24 said:

Sorry for the boring newbie post thats probably already been answered 100 times but can you still buy tents/sleeping bags etc at the festival? Last time i went i think the guys were called 'happy campers' but ive heard theyre long gone now?

Thanks for that. seems like a massive risk banking on them having any left by the time i get there, previously you could book and pay for everything before hand. Anyone know if thats still a thing?