Planning application to secure a permanent full planning permission for Glastonbury Festival

Dukeicon

From what i've read (I work in transport):

The train strikes have damaged how easy it is to compare with previous years in many respects.

150 coach tickets (out of 24,000) didn't use their ticket (0.625%), so about 850 people overall tickets wasted based on 135k tickets

No plans for electric charging due to needing roughly 650 chargers for one week a year

1,000 less campervans than estimated - no stated reason (rail strikes are blamed, not convinced that has any effect to be honest)

About 66% lower train use due to train strikes

650 motorcycles parked on site, quite strange!

To cope with car demand thats unprecedented, they have extra fields - some of which haven't been used for over 10 years

£15 mil infrastructure cost for 2022 - anyone able to find a comparison? Cost to stage the festival is "over £50 mil"

Edited by gfa

1 hour ago, Pinhead said:

This is actually excellent news as it shows a commitment to the continuity of the festival which has occasionally innthe past been in doubt...

Imagine how many small and medium local businesses now depend on the festival for the bulk of their income.

3 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Imagine how many small and medium local businesses now depend on the festival for the bulk of their income.

i think fallow years, mean that not too many depend on the festival.

Just now, gigpusher said:

Interesting thing is 2013 to 2014 was actually a much bigger leap in numbers and yet I don’t recall noticing it at all. 

its not just about the total numbers but also about how the entertainments spread those people around the site.

31 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Interesting thing is 2013 to 2014 was actually a much bigger leap in numbers and yet I don’t recall noticing it at all. 

That was at least partially a paper increase, and there was a couple of changes that went along with it that meant it didn't make a large net difference (and wasn't intended to).

Firstly there was a push to get people counted properly who may previously have been "under the radar".

Secondly a change in methodology (or at least, in intent) - instead of artists "tickets" being re-used day to day (effectively so one person leaves, another takes their "place"), each artist was to be ticketed individually and there was less concern about exactly how many were on site at any given moment.

I don't know this with any confidence, but I suspect that on both counts it's crept back in the other direction over the subsequent 10 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Jesus, capacity increasing by 32,500 in the space of six festivals

Looks to me it stayed stagnant then jumped up 25k almost in one year? Like how it stayed stagnant 2014-2019 then jumped 7k for 2022?

1 hour ago, pilton digger said:

We had the planning notice copied to us last week as impacted. Somerset live will probably run it now it is on efest. They rip a lot off of the forums here.

make sure to post your comment! extended till end of jan

2 hours ago, incident said:

That was at least partially a paper increase, and there was a couple of changes that went along with it that meant it didn't make a large net difference (and wasn't intended to).

Firstly there was a push to get people counted properly who may previously have been "under the radar".

Secondly a change in methodology (or at least, in intent) - instead of artists "tickets" being re-used day to day (effectively so one person leaves, another takes their "place"), each artist was to be ticketed individually and there was less concern about exactly how many were on site at any given moment.

I don't know this with any confidence, but I suspect that on both counts it's crept back in the other direction over the subsequent 10 years.

I recall that they were licensed for the full amount from 2014-2019, but didn't add all the extra crew immediately, with the numbers ramping up every year.

16 hours ago, Dukeicon said:

2022 was the first year of the increased 210,000 capacity.

1957238015_Screenshot2023-01-11at17_47_08.png.b9670da2ac79b51fce69c536c47a92b3.png

What's the reasoning/justification for staff, crew and artists increasing % much more than the public? One of the rumours last year was they sold some of these tickets to the public - hence the thought there was a lot more than 3,000 punters on site. Is this a way around increasing numbers?

15 hours ago, gfa said:

From what i've read (I work in transport):

The train strikes have damaged how easy it is to compare with previous years in many respects.

150 coach tickets (out of 24,000) didn't use their ticket (0.625%), so about 850 people overall tickets wasted based on 135k tickets

No plans for electric charging due to needing roughly 650 chargers for one week a year

1,000 less campervans than estimated - no stated reason (rail strikes are blamed, not convinced that has any effect to be honest)

About 66% lower train use due to train strikes

650 motorcycles parked on site, quite strange!

To cope with car demand thats unprecedented, they have extra fields - some of which haven't been used for over 10 years

£15 mil infrastructure cost for 2022 - anyone able to find a comparison? Cost to stage the festival is "over £50 mil"

There's plans to increase coaches.

Screenshot (182).png

2 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

There's plans to increase coaches.

Screenshot (182).png

Good spot, I quite like getting the coach but hate the uncertainty about departure times, getting there late etc. It would be good if they could do something to increase capacity at the bus station, allowing more to arrive Wednesday morning.

• Upvote 1