2023 In Memoriam Thread

kalifire

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yep I have been expecting it for some time but to lose Shane and Sinead in one year is still tough.

Luckily I had the pleasure of seeing them both live and in music life is eternal.

Is there a more perfect part song than Fiesta? I've danced on many a bar stool to it.

RIP Shane finally.

Edited by gigpusher
  • Like 1

Id always had the hope that the Pogues would end up with a headline spot on the Avalon or something similar one of these years. i know corralling them all - and especially Shane - was a fairly tricky task, but they'd managed the reunion gigs, and typically they fell into a rhythm of getting Shane onstage for 3 songs, then off for one or two, and then back on, and it worked quite well during those one offs. He could manage a lot of little spells, but couldnt do a great big stint. 

I think it was 2016 when the Pogues played Bristol on the wednesday night ahead of glastonbury, and i had it in my head that they'd be the special guests opening the Other Stage on the friday morning - i got down there early, all excited, and then out came the bloody Kaiser Chiefs to sh*t on everyone's chips 😐 

anyways, i digress. i think Rum sodomy is their best album but i absolutely love Red Roses as well. gonna stick them on, and i think a pint or two is very much in order tonight as well of course. Pints of Jameson's. 

Remember hearing sally maclannane on radio at work back in the 80s ,went out and bought rum sodomy and the lash next day and was hooked.

Checked teletext evey day for gig news 

Bought the 3 music papers weekly

Slept rough in london a few times after gigs as couldnt afford accommodation but ,had to  see the pogues

My all time favourite band and truly sad but as few have said not unexpected,i was only saying to mrs cidy on sunday he s only gone home because he didnt want to die in hospital

Will be having a few on my days off

Theres a new pogues whisky out ,had a few bottles already will have a few more and dig out me dvds etc 

Edited by cidy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I always used to give my mum a list of albums I wanted for Christmas and she'd head off to buy a few off the list for me.

She told me she refused to ask the nice man in HMV for Rum, Sodomy and The Lash so handed him the list instead 😁

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

I'm taking it personal...I used to be in a band that played a lot of Irish music (The Waterboys, Christy Moore, Saw Doctors, Thin Lizzy) but also The Pogues. We played Sally MacLennane, Dirty Old Town, The Snake With the Eyes of Garnet, so they mean a lot to me.

At least Springsteen got to see him earlier this year:

bs.jpg

• Like 1