Guns n Roses

Muppetmark

4 hours ago, maelzoid said:

But what are music reviews for? They're not really about offering a fair assessment of something as subjective as live music, their very existence is to be an entertaining read. They're designed to be polarising, to get a rise out of the readership, to generate chat in the comments section and retweets.

In the era of Spotify, record reviews are utterly pointless, and with so much of Glastonbury on youtube, those reviews are largely redundant. The only people who really want them are the people who didn't go and want to be reassured that it was sh*t.

I mean, journalism used to be about leaving your bias at the door and reporting as accurately as possible. But like others have said, the Independent just seemed to want to give a bad review no matter what. With this one sentence, it proves they cared more about the identity of GnR than the actual performance or the music. 

Heck, there's plenty of rappers with sexist, misogynistic language in their songs who have performed at Glasto, but somehow it's GnR who are the macho dinosaurs playing actual instruments as opposed to just singing to a backing track, blah blah. I don't know if they're actually trying to spark a debate with their review, rather just label them as troublesome to society or some nonsense.

I mean seriously, Glasto is a festival of indulgence. From the brioche dough wraps, to the amount of coke-heads, to the day drinkers. Rockists at Glasto - also quite a few including a number on here. Dated? Elton pre-dates GnR.

Nah, the Independent aren't trying to spark a debate, they're just being massive snobs. 

image.png.4855be3fcefb0b5318ce2a22e7d59a1c.png

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I mean, journalism used to be about leaving your bias at the door and reporting as accurately as possible. But like others have said, the Independent just seemed to want to give a bad review no matter what. With this one sentence, it proves they cared more about the identity of GnR than the actual performance or the music. 

Heck, there's plenty of rappers with sexist, misogynistic language in their songs who have performed at Glasto, but somehow it's GnR who are the macho dinosaurs playing actual instruments as opposed to just singing to a backing track, blah blah. I don't know if they're actually trying to spark a debate with their review, rather just label them as troublesome to society or some nonsense.

I mean seriously, Glasto is a festival of indulgence. From the brioche dough wraps, to the amount of coke-heads, to the day drinkers. Rockists at Glasto - also quite a few including a number on here. Dated? Elton pre-dates GnR.

Nah, the Independent aren't trying to spark a debate, they're just being massive snobs. 

image.png.4855be3fcefb0b5318ce2a22e7d59a1c.png

Axl is quite a woke lefty these days too (this is a good thing).

3 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Changing guitars between every song is a fairly regular occurrence at gigs I go to, not sure why people are surprised by it.

Yep. Any guitarist will tell you that all guitars sound different, which they do - even ones that have the same wood, weight, spec and pickups won't sound the same. Plus he's really hard on his strings. At least some of his guitars were different, there were a few Les Pauls but also 2 different double necks with different configs plus a BC Rich (maybe 2) and a Travis Bean. 

18 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I prefer the idea in my head that he just has one of the coolest stashes of guitars in the world and wants to show them off at all costs, haha 😆

There's probably a bit of this too.

6 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Changing guitars between every song is a fairly regular occurrence at gigs I go to, not sure why people are surprised by it.

Lottery winners didn't but he did change to a hula hoop 

Have to say I was pleasantly surprised. After all the talk beforehand about how poor they were live, particularly Axl's voice I was just there for the songs. Axl had a great energy on stage, his voice was patchy - good at points but didn't bother me when not. Slash was as excellent as oyu would hope. Wouldn't have been anywhere else.  

20 hours ago, DJL said:

Have to say I was pleasantly surprised. After all the talk beforehand about how poor they were live, particularly Axl's voice I was just there for the songs. Axl had a great energy on stage, his voice was patchy - good at points but didn't bother me when not. Slash was as excellent as oyu would hope. Wouldn't have been anywhere else.  

I thought they smashed it! Was surprised at how much energy Axl had! Watching back on my phone sounds way better than BBC footage sadly, its a shame because everyone who wasn't there said they were terrible! Even the reviewers (probably sat watching at home agreed and even said they were the worst headliner ever!) 

Then you see a slowed down boring Arctic Monkeys get 5 stars (they could have smashed it easily!) and Lana Del Ray get 5 stars even after slating the festival for not listing her as a main headliner (she wasnt) and coming on 30 minutes late with an excuse of doing her hair!

Don't know why BBC can't get the sound right for certain acts, I remember seeing Arcade fire headline and they sounded amazing there, I came home and watched it on TV and it sounded shocking 😞

Edited by turricandanx
  • Upvote 1

On 6/28/2023 at 6:47 PM, Skip997 said:

Sorry, what...???

You took MDMA and went to GnR instead of (e.g.) The Levels

Definition of insanity!

I got told that the idea of taking MDMA then only listening to Dance music is old man thinking. The kids take it for all sorts of music. Rather that than Coke.

On 6/25/2023 at 8:50 AM, eddie_corrigan said:

Awful, awful review. Flashbacks to the bad old days of the NME and MM in the 90s where reviews were basically pre-written based on the reviewers prejudices without any attempt to be objective. The journalists tastes are superior and their opinions more important than everyone else. Excruciating.

(Though at least you can tell he hates GNR, the other Music press speciality back then was the review where you could read the whole thing and have no idea at the end whether it was actually any good or not 😄)

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Might have had a little dab during Cat Stevens.

f**k, I can’t do it anymore because of my job but there there’s definitely an alternate timeline where I’m taking MDMA most of the time. Night out, night in, gig, going to see the Highland Cows in Pollok Park, trip to Morrisons etc etc

3 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Awful, awful review. Flashbacks to the bad old days of the NME and MM in the 90s where reviews were basically pre-written based on the reviewers prejudices without any attempt to be objective. The journalists tastes are superior and their opinions more important than everyone else. Excruciating.

(Though at least you can tell he hates GNR, the other Music press speciality back then was the review where you could read the whole thing and have no idea at the end whether it was actually any good or not 😄)

Fairly sure he wrote for the MM in that period.....

48 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Him and McCormick have protected their twitter accounts because of the gnr stans getting on their cases 🤣🤣

42 minutes ago, eddie_corrigan said:

Him and McCormick have protected their twitter accounts because of the gnr stans getting on their cases 🤣🤣

Chortle. Forgot about the modern world didn’t they? Twitter wasn’t an issue back in 1995 when they were laying the diss on Gene and Shed Seven

6 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

That explains a lot. It’s uncannily similar. The same self-important tone.

Just googled him and he used to write for nme he’s the one who interviewed Keith Richards when he claimed he’d snorted his dads ashes mixed with a bit of lemo. 

his wiki page sums him up quite well 

In his writings, Beaumont has often favoured a caustic, confrontational and at times humorous prose style, especially when writing on artists or records that he does not hold in particularly high regard. 

absolute tampon.