Guns n Roses

Muppetmark

I also missed Lizzo and had to wait for the flood of people to leave, but I timed it well enough to get into the pit and be about ten metres back from the barrier.

As a big fan of GnR I went in with low expectations in light of vids of Axl's voice, but on the whole I was quite impressed and he seemed to be really up for it. Slash too was epic as always, and all the big hits were present and correct. Bopped around like a loon for a good 90 mins of their whole set. To hear those classic tunes play out over the Pyramid field was just great.

So yeah, all in all I thought it was fantastic, had a wicked time.

Only confusion is why the kids (aged 16-20) behind to the left of us were there when all they kept doing was blowing up balloons and taking selfies etc, totally disinterested. So strange.

2 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Only confusion is why the kids (aged 16-20) behind to the left of us were there when all they kept doing was blowing up balloons and taking selfies etc, totally disinterested. So strange.

Many folks go to the Pyramid and esp headliners because they think they have to.

Very strange behavior as there's usually much more suitable (to their tastes) acts on elsewhere and The Park/Glade/West Holts crowds are always much more fun and approachable.

Never understood it.

9 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Many folks go to the Pyramid and esp headliners because they think they have to.

Very strange behavior as there's usually much more suitable (to their tastes) acts on elsewhere and The Park/Glade/West Holts crowds are always much more fun and approachable.

Never understood it.

I understand it. Used to be, and there was a lot less on at the time, that folk, would get ready and go to the pyramid stage. There was a buzz of anticipation, all the different strokes of people congregating in one place to have a good time. 

May have changed with all the different stuff going on now. But there is something communal about it being on that field. 

I haven't done it in years but was there for Elton and still feel it.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's a great stage. Many of the others are all great too, but there's something unique about the collective experience that can go down on Pointdexter.

Has this weird feeling of excitement, even the best of the best could f**k it up completely, and anyone could end up blowing the minds of everyone there. Kinda feels like the atmosphere before England (soz) world cup football games.

Agree with the comments that a 90 minute set would have suited them better. I left after an hour, when they were padding it out with covers.

I had started watching from the top right (newly opened) section but it quickly became clear to me that the awful sound up there was due to the rear speaker towers not being in sync with the front ones, and being able to hear both. It became really clear that was the case when Axl spoke between songs and you could hear the delayed repeat. Much better sound in the centre, and I actually thought his voice was fine, but the show just hadn't grabbed me. I'm not massively familiar with the material though so that's on me. Great to hear some enjoyed it.

The videos i recorded on my S23 ultra sound way better than on BBC, how is that possible?! 

Hate how lots of the reviews are based on TV coverage, i was in between the speakers pretty central about 50 rows back and i thought it sounded great and everyone was buzzing, dancing and jumping around.

Edited by turricandanz

Watched it back yesterday, significantly more sober than I was at tge time, the BBC sound is poor to start with, mainly improved but does drop off every now and then. Still... I thought it looked good on the TV rather than the magnificent experience in real life.

14 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Never understood it.

Yeah, it was really odd. They had zero interest in being there aside from joking around together. Maybe they didn't like anything else on, but I doubt they were there for some kind of collective feeling while they were just hitting balloons and not moving for the music or anything. 

49 minutes ago, turricandanz said:

The videos i recorded on my S23 ultra sound way better than on BBC, how is that possible?! 

Hate how lots of the reviews are based on TV coverage, i was in between the speakers pretty central about 50 rows back and i thought it sounded great and everyone was buzzing, dancing and jumping around.

Even worse were places like the Independent reviewing GnR on everything BUT the music.

18 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Even worse were places like the Independent reviewing GnR on everything BUT the music.

But what are music reviews for? They're not really about offering a fair assessment of something as subjective as live music, their very existence is to be an entertaining read. They're designed to be polarising, to get a rise out of the readership, to generate chat in the comments section and retweets.

In the era of Spotify, record reviews are utterly pointless, and with so much of Glastonbury on youtube, those reviews are largely redundant. The only people who really want them are the people who didn't go and want to be reassured that it was sh*t.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Sorry, what...???

You took MDMA and went to GnR instead of (e.g.) The Levels

Definition of insanity!

If you think that's misguided, a couple of my friends took some pills before Artic Monkeys.

As bad decisions go, that was probably their worst of the weekend.

I only watched GnR until Live and Let Die.  Slash was great, Axl's voice was a bit woeful at times but hardly surprising.  The performance felt quite impersonal and I didn't feel particularly engaged so went to West Holts and caught the end of Loyle Carner's quite wonderful set.

9 hours ago, kidpresentable said:

Agree with the comments that a 90 minute set would have suited them better. I left after an hour, when they were padding it out with covers.

I had started watching from the top right (newly opened) section but it quickly became clear to me that the awful sound up there was due to the rear speaker towers not being in sync with the front ones, and being able to hear both. It became really clear that was the case when Axl spoke between songs and you could hear the delayed repeat. Much better sound in the centre, and I actually thought his voice was fine, but the show just hadn't grabbed me. I'm not massively familiar with the material though so that's on me. Great to hear some enjoyed it.

Yeah sound at the back is terrible, I wasnt bothered about seeing lizzio but had 30 mins to kill, so walked to the very back and was up against the fence. They definitely need extra speakers if they are going to continue to use the whole field as It was really quiet and a delay which then created an echo effect 

I really enjoyed guns n roses, definitely sounded better being there than the terrible BBC mix , don't know why the sound is all over the place on iPlayer but being right there sounded great. I was impressed by his Axel's energy and he really seemed to enjoy himself . Elton just edged it though as the highlight but for me guns were a very close second.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, BambooShanks said:

If you think that's misguided, a couple of my friends took some pills before Artic Monkeys.

As bad decisions go, that was probably their worst of the weekend.

I only watched GnR until Live and Let Die.  Slash was great, Axl's voice was a bit woeful at times but hardly surprising.  The performance felt quite impersonal and I didn't feel particularly engaged so went to West Holts and caught the end of Loyle Carner's quite wonderful set.

We watched it from that time - got delayed getting food etc on the way back from The Pretenders. we walked right to behind the sound desks in the centre.  I really enjoyed it - didn't notice any sound or voice issues, I enjoyed seeing those songs as I've always liked them.

Not an all time favourite headliner but an enjoyable one and a band I've always wanted to see but never got the chance to.  

came away from the set happy. Can't say the same about the Friday night headliner who I was really looking forward to...

Edited by efcfanwirral

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

came away from the set happy. Can't say the same about the Friday night headliner...

Yeah I was happy with what I saw but having already seen them I didn't mind leaving as I wanted to get in to the The Temple that night.

Though my friends who saw the Artics were mostly very disappointed.  The first thing one of my mates said whe I caught up with them was "That was absolutely awful. I would have rather done a pinger at my Gran's funeral. It was like being stuck on a cruise ship being crooned at by a pensioner"

My decision to watch Kelis felt very vindicated after that

15 minutes ago, BambooShanks said:

Though my friends who saw the Artics were mostly very disappointed.  The first thing one of my mates said whe I caught up with them was "That was absolutely awful. I would have rather done a pinger at my Gran's funeral. It was like being stuck on a cruise ship being crooned at by a pensioner"

Thought Arctics were alright, but then simply 'alright' isn't enough for a GF headline set.