Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

25 minutes ago, HamishA. said:

appreciate i'm in the minority on these forums with this opinion, but The 1975 were so good at the o2 last night and absolutely deserve a spot at headlining the big one. Great stage set-up, brilliant session musicians giving extra depth to the songs, lots of tracks that are really fun live and the Taylor Swift appearance didn't hurt either. I know they get put in the same bracket as Foals and Biffy C, but as a fan of Biffy since the mid-2000's, the 1975 are in another echelon to them live.

Shame it seems likely they've booked Arctics instead of them, as the Friday night slot would be quality. Hope they don't sub imo, they deserve a chance at the top!

A lot of people don't like them here but i think most agree they would be a good booking. Probably would have happened if 2 fests hadn't been missed due to covid

16 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

The 1975 to me strike me as a band on the verge of missing their window, similar to the situation Foals found themselves in - and if they are going to do it it ideally needs to be before Matt Healy gets embroiled in some scandal for being a mega creep which also feels like it might happen very soon.

Completely get this and my main worry too. Verge of missing their window solely due to this though - seems their core fans aren't 'growing up' which is a concern i had about them a few years ago, they are certainly here to stay.

Edited by gfa

7 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

The 1975 are beige wallpaper to me but it wouldn't surprise me if the headline this year or next. One of the biggest UK rock bands going. 

which shade of beige would you prefer, sir? 😛 

23 minutes ago, JonSnow said:

I'm not sure you are in the minority to be honest I think plenty of people here (me included) would find 1975 headlining the Friday this year over Artic Monkeys to be a better/more exciting booking

I can't stand The 1975 but still think they're a better booking than AM.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Now I'm lost. 1975 played in 2016 right? So just a year before Foos, more recently than AM last played.

So this weird "last time they played" thing only counts if they headline the Pyramid? I get not counting secret sets as not everyone will have been able to get to them, they won't have been advertised, etc. 

I also get if they were playing like Avalon, and have gone stratospheric since - but 1975 did Other in the evening. I don't see how that's more fresh than AM?

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

So this weird "last time they played" thing only counts if they headline the Pyramid? 

Well yeah, of course it only applies to headliners. Otherwise you wouldn't have acts working their way up the bill.

The are only three Pyramid headline slots a year, why waste one on someone who has played recently?

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

Now I'm lost. 1975 played in 2016 right? So just a year before Foos, more recently than AM last played.

So this weird "last time they played" thing only counts if they headline the Pyramid? I get not counting secret sets as not everyone will have been able to get to them, they won't have been advertised, etc. 

I also get if they were playing like Avalon, and have gone stratospheric since - but 1975 did Other in the evening. I don't see how that's more fresh than AM?

Well yeah people are generally referring to repeat headliners, not acts that have climbed the lineup in a few years.

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Lol of course it does. Tons of bands turn up the majority of years in the lower slots, look at a band like Foals for example. 

I was about to make the point that The 1975 have released 3 albums since they last played, one of which is arguably their biggest, but then I realised the exact same could be said about Arctic Monkeys too.

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It's pretty obvious that people have been talking about repeat Pyramid headliners. Acts who are returning having played lower slots are obviously still fresh Pyramid headliners. You need acts moving up the card otherwise its Download with just a few acts on rotation. 

54 minutes ago, HamishA. said:

appreciate i'm in the minority on these forums with this opinion, but The 1975 were so good at the o2 last night and absolutely deserve a spot at headlining the big one. Great stage set-up, brilliant session musicians giving extra depth to the songs, lots of tracks that are really fun live and the Taylor Swift appearance didn't hurt either. I know they get put in the same bracket as Foals and Biffy C, but as a fan of Biffy since the mid-2000's, the 1975 are in another echelon to them live.

Shame it seems likely they've booked Arctics instead of them, as the Friday night slot would be quality. Hope they don't sub imo, they deserve a chance at the top!

I’m not a huge fan myself but would have had no problem with them headlining this year, think that would have been entirely justified.

48 minutes ago, JonSnow said:

I'm not sure you are in the minority to be honest I think plenty of people here (me included) would find 1975 headlining the Friday this year over Artic Monkeys to be a better/more exciting booking

Yeah, feels like a ball dropped moment to me 

16 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Hi Sam Fender you have just subbed and are clearly on a massive rise, afraid you can't come back for 6 years.

Clearly this is the case, what a silly comment!

1 hour ago, BenG92 said:

I think a lot of us (a particular someone excluded) would be way more excited for GNR if it wasn't for their live reputation. It's not the songs themselves that put me off, they've got bangers, but I look at some of the recent footage and wince. 

In the other thread asking if youve seen the headliners, lots of people are chipping in to say theyve seen them in recent years and its been great. I'd set more store by that than YouTube clips which never reflect what a gig is like very well.

29 minutes ago, TGCarr said:

I personally can't see the excitment surrounding AM.

They have a massive Stadium tour around June, so thousands can see them there. 

Thousands can't, every single England date is sold out. Elton's also playing more shows here this year than them I think and that tour's been going since 2019

Just now, BenG92 said:

Thousands can't, every single England date is sold out. Elton's also playing more shows here this year than them I think and that tour's been going since 2019

Yeah I get that, but there was a massive chance to purchase compared to Glasto. 

I'm not fussed who headlines to be honest, as long as Prodigy are there I'm happy!

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

In the other thread asking if youve seen the headliners, lots of people are chipping in to say theyve seen them in recent years and its been great. I'd set more store by that than YouTube clips which never reflect what a gig is like very well.

I know, but I also know several fans who went to the Spurs show(s) and came back disappointed. It's that crapshoot aspect that puts me off. Not like - just pulling a random example out of thin air here - Tool where you'll always get a good Tool show if you like them. GNR are notoriously hit and miss IMO.

Whereas you've got someone like AM where even the people who find them boring aren't complaining about Alex's voice being bad, it's just the show itself. 

Edited by BenG92