Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Even if it was their first time 'super low energy' would still be the appropriate description.

Indeed. 

Never mind the obvious racist connotations to both the booking of the acts the the acts themselves. 

And the misogyny.

And the disgusting white privilege.

7 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Sorry was I too subtle?  😊

I thought they were shite when they first came out, yes enjoyed about 5 songs in their heyday but certainly wouldn't come along to see him be a nob or endure the other two hours of self indulgent guff. 

There will be loads of stuff I'd love to see instead. 

I wasn't talking about whether you liked them or not. I was pointing out that:

'To know much of GnR outside the big hitters, you'd actively have to go out of your way to dig into their discography'

is a bad argument against an act headlining as it's really easy for someone who only knows the hits to rectify it 

45 minutes ago, stuie said:

But... but... Beyonce and Adele and Elton? 

Obviously willing to do it for the money. Beyoncé had seen it with Jay-Z, Adele goes a long way back with the fest. Elton is a surprise one on that front.

There was a story here a while back that Madonna wanted 7 figures to do it. Glastonbury will always be constrained by the fees they pay headliners. Some will do it for that relatively trifling amount, some won’t.

2 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Obviously willing to do it for the money. Beyoncé had seen it with Jay-Z, Adele goes a long way back with the fest. Elton is a surprise one on that front.

There was a story here a while back that Madonna wanted 7 figures to do it. Glastonbury will always be constrained by the fees they pay headliners. Some will do it for that relatively trifling amount, some won’t.

Sure, I understand but Madge isn't short of a bob or two and isn't getting any younger.  She might fancy a pop at it while she can if her costs are covered. 

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

Sure, I understand but Madge isn't short of a bob or two and isn't getting any younger.  She might fancy a pop at it while she can if her costs are covered. 

I think it’s now or never for Madonna.. she’s definitely struggling more with the level of choreography she normally would do on tour so I can’t see her doing big production type shows much longer… and she’s about to announce a greatest hits tour this year. 

If she’s asking for 7 figure fees I can’t see it happening ….unless she sees the PR value in playing Glastonbury and scales back her expectations. 

51 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

So you accept that it's an easier and more intuitive system and therefore better. Superb.

No. I find them equally easy. I also like the fractional style. Therefore not better and also an indication of slipping intellectual standards. You'll be first up against the wall when we do maffs till 18. 

5 minutes ago, stuie said:

That’s the hope. But the last info we had was she wanted a significant multiple of what Glastonbury pays. The Eagles are the same for example.

I can’t imagine why Glastonbury wouldn’t want Pink, for example. But they don’t always get who they want.

1 hour ago, goonerben said:

It happened (of sorts) in 2015 when Florence stepped up.

I still think that if they decided they needed at least one female Pyramid headliner, Dua Lipa (despite not being on tour, and especially given the Elton John connection) would 100% step up and do the job.

Flo was doing other festivals around that, she did Southside the week before. She was very much on tour and doing festivals. 

Whereas Dua OTOH, would have been absolutely great (I’d swap her for AM or GNR without blinking) but the issue is the boring stuff that we don’t really care about. My belief that she’d be great is based around watching her Rock in Rio show on YouTube. It’s superb, but also not the kind of thing you just easily knock together for a one off. There’s really good, really boring logistical reasons why you can pretty much always pick who’s headlining from the pool of acts that are touring around Glastonbury.

35 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Arctic Monkeys headlining the festival for the 3rd time in 12 festivals is super low energy.

GnR is very risky. Could be great, could be a shambles or Axl could throw a hissy and be late and/or walk off or thump someone in the front row. Unmissable either way. 

(Dons pedant hat)

(Clears throat)

3rd time in 13 festivals.

No really, don’t mention it.

Arctic Monkeys - 0% (seen it, done it, can't see it being any different an experience to 2103, which I enjoyed, tbf)

Guns n' Roses - 50% (could be swayed elsewhere, as I have a BST ticket. Fred Again... would do it)

Elton - 100% (unless the Prodigy are on the Other, then it's 0%, sadly)

Not for the first time, the Pyramid could be a no-go zone for me.

1 hour ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

i think you meant to quote someone else

Every human with a computer has the capacity to listen to every guns n roses album, even younger people

It was about popular culture what i quoted originally - you need to go less out of your way to hear Billie and Kendrick as GNR

re. radio 1, isn't capital more listened to anyway? that will have heaps of billie on (less sure about kendrick defo had some of the black panther songs on though back in the day - and obviously no GNR)

Edited by gfa

3 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Arctic Monkeys - 0% (seen it, done it, can't see it being any different an experience to 2103, which I enjoyed, tbf)

Guns n' Roses - 50% (could be swayed elsewhere, as I have a BST ticket. Fred Again... would do it)

Elton - 100% (unless the Prodigy are on the Other, then it's 0%, sadly)

Not for the first time, the Pyramid could be a no-go zone for me.

Imagine travelling to the 22nd century to discover Arctic Monkeys are still headlining Glastonbury. 

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Madge took £1.5m and turned in an absolute disaster of a performance at Eurovision a few years back.

So we just need to bash her price down a bit and we can have a disaster of a performance too. 

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Madge took £1.5m and turned in an absolute disaster of a performance at Eurovision a few years back.

scaled up to the length of a headline set thats well out of glasto's price range (not that 1.5£ mil isn't already!)