Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

8 hours ago, kalifire said:

Yet 2022’s resale was very successful for many here, as I recall. The cost of living will factor in massively this year, potentially making more tickets than normal available. It’ll still take perseverance of course, but there are some unusual variables in the mix. 

The issue with the resale was the actual system being shit. I was through very easily within several minutes bit the bank wouldn't take the payment through verify. Since then I've made sure I use googlepay through seetickets as there is no verify. 

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Demand will still exceed supply. It'll just skew the festival demographics.

It won't forever be the hardest festival to get a ticket for as people won't be able to find the money. 

With regards to resale I still think there will be more tickets back into the pot as April rolls round and people are asked to stump up another 300 quid after a long winter.

I also suspect that there may be fewer folk trying with a prohibitive ticket price and a less than stellar lineup (just a feeling based on all the others we’ve seen so far).

It’ll still be busy and there will still be more people wanting tickets than tickets available.

Completely anecdotally, I know a whole bunch of people who were really turned off by the ticket price initially, and over Christmas have been kicking themselves that they didn't just suck it up and lay down the cash. They'll all try all resales now. I think people are coming around to the idea that this is just what things cost now and that 350 for a festival like this is still insane value for money if you're a concert-goer. 

Other factors that might be protecting initial sales are the deposit/installment payment schemes that are now available. I think Ticketmaster partner with 3rd parties to offer a staged (interest free?) payment scheme. Of course it doesn't make it any cheaper, but takes the sting out of the initial payment, allowing you to secure the ticket and seemingly spread the cost. There are positive and negative aspects to these schemes, of course, all worthy of discussion but this could be another reason why sales remain high for certain events. 

The group I went with in 2022 decided not to try for tickets this year, I tried with another group and had the whole debacle etc.

I am still trying for a ticket because I kick myself if I ever miss it, and I feel good about the resale, but I can’t see this years lineup being popular with the groups I usually go with.

In fact, festivals aren’t really on the agenda for this year for my usual group. There are no lineups that have taken our interest and it looks to be a bit of a weak touring year. No sign of some of the big acts that would galvanise my group / billings that would take our interest. We also know that the London festivals will probably be flooded with Fred again type bookings… so overall this year just feels a bit skippable. Doing a group holiday abroad is what everyone feels more inclined to pay money towards.

I am still going for a ticket as I have some close friends going I can tag along with, but I think this year just feels very different, I don’t know why. There’s a different vibe.

We probably know a good handful of the acts playing and nothing feels like “oh my god that is a must see you can’t miss it”. The only thing that could really swing the names for me is a confirmation of either Doja or Lana to give the lineup a bit more of a kick… but that in itself doesn’t look likely right now.

Apologies for the stream of consciousness but that’s where I’m at.

Edited by Matt42

51 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The group I went with in 2022 decided not to try for tickets this year, I tried with another group and had the whole debacle etc.

I am still trying for a ticket because I kick myself if I ever miss it, and I feel good about the resale, but I can’t see this years lineup being popular with the groups I usually go with.

In fact, festivals aren’t really on the agenda for this year for my usual group. There are no lineups that have taken our interest and it looks to be a bit of a weak touring year. No sign of some of the big acts that would galvanise my group / billings that would take our interest. We also know that the London festivals will probably be flooded with Fred again type bookings… so overall this year just feels a bit skippable. Doing a group holiday abroad is what everyone feels more inclined to pay money towards.

I am still going for a ticket as I have some close friends going I can tag along with, but I think this year just feels very different, I don’t know why. There’s a different vibe.

We probably know a good handful of the acts playing and nothing feels like “oh my god that is a must see you can’t miss it”. The only thing that could really swing the names for me is a confirmation of either Doja or Lana to give the lineup a bit more of a kick… but that in itself doesn’t look likely right now.

Apologies for the stream of consciousness but that’s where I’m at.

I think this does happen a bit with age, though, the waning of interest. I'm 40 now and none of the group I went with in my 20s go any more (although they might come back at some point). Line up has never really mattered that much to me either as I know there'll be stuff I want to see.

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I think this does happen a bit with age, though, the waning of interest. I'm 40 now and none of the group I went with in my 20s go any more (although they might come back at some point). Line up has never really mattered that much to me either as I know there'll be stuff I want to see.

Caveat: not the case for everybody, of course, as I've tried to get a ticket every year since my first. But I think it's pretty normal that people look at doing other things after a while. And those people get replaced by new blood.

19 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

14 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Caveat: not the case for everybody, of course, as I've tried to get a ticket every year since my first. But I think it's pretty normal that people look at doing other things after a while. And those people get replaced by new blood.

I think there’s some truth, but there’s also another factor which I think is rarely discussed on here.

Getting tickets for this is a dedication and a mission, it takes a lot of preparation and a lot of energy. I dunno if it’s just my group, but if we are all go go it kinda takes someone to take the lead and just get everyone else’s tickets. My friends will happily go to glastonbury if they could just buy a ticket a few weeks before or pull everything together last minute. Some people really don’t like the idea of making a decision to go to something in October. 

When we were younger it was a bit easier as we had less on our plate, but I’ve noticed a few people in my wider group now don’t want to commit to something this early and use a lot of holiday on Glastonbury. You need to take at least a week off minimum (unless you’re a total nutter and do the thing stone cold sober). I’ve also noticed too that quite a few people would like to see the lineup before they go, even if they’ve been to glastonbury before.

Yes the festival itself is amazing and is a big reason of why I come back - but I find for those who have enjoyed previous editions (but are not in a rush to come back) the lineup does help in hooking some people in. I found that this year was particularly good lineup wise and it was definitely reflected in my group’s enthusiasm this year.

Naturally, as this year doesn’t have any gigantic unmissable names in the mix for my group, I’ve noticed the interest has waned, and people are less interested in putting large sums money of money aside early on. 

Edited by Matt42

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

For every person not arsed about Elton there'll be two who think it's an unmissable slam-dunk of a booking.

I understand that which is why I was talking about my group and only my group. It’s not just Elton anyway, if Elton was paired with other names I reckon some people from my group would see him. When you put all the rumoured names together at the moment it just isn’t the most inspiring. Things can change but I’m very interested to see how the lineup goes down this year, particularly for those hoping for a Harry Styles, Taylor Swift, Dua Lipa, Kendrick Lamar, Stormzy style name. 

I don’t think it will have a massive effect on the resale but I’m very interested in the reaction. 

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think there’s some truth, but there’s also another factor which I think is rarely discussed on here.

Getting tickets for this is a dedication and a mission, it takes a lot of preparation and a lot of energy. I dunno if it’s just my group, but if we are all go go it kinda takes someone to take the lead and just get everyone else’s tickets. My friends will happily go to glastonbury if they could just buy a ticket a few weeks before or pull everything together last minute. Some people really don’t like the idea of making a decision to go to something in October. 

When we were younger it was a bit easier as we had less on our plate, but I’ve noticed a few people in my wider group now don’t want to commit to something this early and use a lot of holiday on Glastonbury. You need to take at least a week off minimum (unless you’re a total nutter and do the thing stone cold sober). I’ve also noticed too that quite a few people would like to see the lineup before they go, even if they’ve been to glastonbury before.

Yes the festival itself is amazing and is a big reason of why I come back - but I find for those who have enjoyed previous editions (but are not in a rush to come back) the lineup does help in hooking some people in. I found that this year was particularly good lineup wise and it was definitely reflected in my group’s enthusiasm this year.

Naturally, as this year doesn’t have any gigantic unmissable names in the mix for my group, I’ve noticed the interest has waned, and people are less interested in putting large sums money of money aside early on. 

That’s life, some people would prefer to do other things.  We’ve got people who want to spend their time/money elsewhere.  It’s not he same for others as it is for obsessives like us who talk about it all year on a forum. 

Btw…. if Elton Johns last U.K. performance isn’t unmissable I don’t know what is

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I understand that which is why I was talking about my group and only my group. It’s not just Elton anyway, if Elton was paired with other names I reckon some people from my group would see him. When you put all the rumoured names together at the moment it just isn’t the most inspiring. Things can change but I’m very interested to see how the lineup goes down this year, particularly for those hoping for a Harry Styles, Taylor Swift, Dua Lipa, Kendrick Lamar, Stormzy style name. 

I don’t think it will have a massive effect on the resale but I’m very interested in the reaction. 

They may be a somnambulent stage performers with the live presence of corpses, but Arctic Monkeys still have loadsa clout. Its not an announcement that will tank.

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

The issue with the resale was the actual system being shit. I was through very easily within several minutes bit the bank wouldn't take the payment through verify. Since then I've made sure I use googlepay through seetickets as there is no verify. 

It won't forever be the hardest festival to get a ticket for as people won't be able to find the money. 

The payment issued screwed us over in the coach sale but my brothers mate got ours in the main sale. So just to clarify, Googlepay works with Seetickets? Could be useful to know for trying in the resale

11 minutes ago, sisco said:

Btw…. if Elton Johns last U.K. performance isn’t unmissable I don’t know what is

If there’s nothing else on I can see myself going over for a bit but I’ve never gelled with Elton’s music, I for sure don’t know any of his deep cuts, and I can just imagine myself stood around waiting for the songs that everyone knows. Bit different to Macca where I know good bits of his throughout his whole career.

I’m not knocking the Elton booking I’m just saying it’s not for me. He’s been on a farewell tour for ages now so I’m sceptical this will be his last UK show anyway.

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

They may be a somnambulent stage performers with the live presence of corpses, but Arctic Monkeys still have loadsa clout. Its not an announcement that will tank.

My view is this year will probably satisfy longtime Glasto goers who haven’t liked the poppier shift in direction over the past few years… but I’d be very surprised if they have a trio like this ever again.

There’s not enough heritage names left in the basket to do something like this again, it feels like an enigma year if anything. Purely down to a lack of headline acts touring.

43 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

For every person not arsed about Elton there'll be two who think it's an unmissable slam-dunk of a booking.

Yeah, I know a couple of people who didn’t bother in November but are now pretty keen after Elton’s announcement. I do agree that there will be more in the resale than usual but equally they’ve still booked three massive acts (if it is the proposed trio) and there will still be far more people trying than there are tickets. As much as it wouldn’t be a very eFests set of headliners, it would still be popular with the overall crowd.

10 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Yeah, I know a couple of people who didn’t bother in November but are now pretty keen after Elton’s announcement. I do agree that there will be more in the resale than usual but equally they’ve still booked three massive acts (if it is the proposed trio) and there will still be far more people trying than there are tickets. As much as it wouldn’t be a very eFests set of headliners, it would still be popular with the overall crowd.

See idk I think a lot of the younger attendees will be a bit meh about the headliners. I’m sure there will be contemporary acts across the full bill, but if you’re looking at headliners alone it really does cater to rock/soft rock fans/ an older demographic. After acts like Kendrick, Billie, Stormzy headlining etc I can imagine a few people feeling like they are without a headliner they want to see.

Edited by Matt42

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yes, I've had scores of friends who went in the past who now do other things, whether family holidays or whatever.

But for everyone of them that's stopped coming there have been plenty of other people applying for tickets, so it always surprises people when folks expect cost of living or line up to affect sales levels - at the moment it will always sell out as quickly as they make the tickets available.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

After acts like Kendrick, Billie, Stormzy headlining etc I can imagine a few people feeling like they are without a headliner they want to see.

But none of those were colossal bookings. Good performances and relatively well attended, but not headline grabbers with ginormocrowds like Macca, Kylie, Diana Ross, Elton etc.