2024 Headliners

24 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not really - seems to have been on the money.  Just that things have changed. 

Yeah, the rest of the BST info has been on the money with acts and dates they are playing - massively unlikely it could have been guessed with that accuracy.  It sounds like it is something which has changed.  Of course it's one of those things which we may never know for sure.

3 minutes ago, wghennessy said:

Way better choice then Billie imo. You also have Brutal which is a bop live, Traitor is a big song aswell.

Coming at this from someone who couldn’t name any songs from either of them I’d say Billie was way bigger in terms of hype being at awards on tv etc when she headlined. I’m not saying it shouldn’t happen, it means I won’t see a headliner this yet but that doesn’t bother me and I’d feel the same if you replace with 1975 who I think are woeful 

All headline level acts I can think of who are technically free, even if not likely:
Olivia Rodrigo (finishes tour a few days before)

Pearl Jam (only free on Friday I think, but it's likely Sunday we're after)

Kings of Leon (Hyde Park on Sunday so would need someone to shuffle around)

Bruce Springsteen (Probably a 1% chance of him doing it, in Nijmegen on Saturday and doesn't do two dates in a row. Would need to be a special exception)

Blur (doing Coachella, not likely but possible)

The 1975 (tour finishes next month but realistically would never turn it down, seem desperate to headline, would probably do it for free as long as they got the good publicity from it)

AC/DC (same as Bruce, don't do consecutive dates and are in Switzerland on Saturday even if theoretically free)

The Killers (whole weekend is free but only played 5 years ago. Too soon unless they can't find a single other replacement)

Ed Sheeran (In Tenerife on Saturday so unlikely, but theoretically possible)

Stevie Nicks (Hyde Park two weeks later, hard to know whether she could headline)

O-Rod seems by far the most likely

Edited by wro_lap
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

They're young women, but that aside they're very different propositions.  It's like comparing ABBA to Joy Division.

I said they hit the same audience not that they were the same proposition. Which one's ABBA and which is Joy division, come on they're not as different as those two. 

Dua has a lot of pop and ORod can also do a lot of the rock stuff. You're still aiming at a 18-29 mostly pop centred audience.  

7 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

Stevie Wonder to The 1975 would be the biggest downgrade ever

I mean, given the quality and importance of the work that Stevie has produced you could argue that most acts are going to be a big downgrade.

Most people will never know that Stevie was ever in the running though so it isn't like a "here's what you could have won" type moment.

37 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

I'm now checking out Olivia Rodrigo music for the first time ... it's reminding me a little of Holly Humberstone who I love! Is it all like this? This rumour may not be so bad for me!

Holly actually supported Olivia on her first US tour! They have both always reminded me a mix of early days Miley Cyrus and Avril Lavigne 

12 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

Stevie Wonder to The 1975 would be the biggest downgrade ever

Went to latest tour, I think they'd put on a better show visually than Stevie Wonder (no pun intended there)- however, its a completely different sound and wow factor though so I get your point. Personally think they'd smash it out the park

1 minute ago, crumbler said:

In my mind O-Rod is more for children (sorry to all the elder fans on here pretending they're still with it) than Billie and Stormzy who appeal to a broader spectrum of folks.

lol 43 year old fan here - maybe I fall into the category of elder fan pretending to still be with it. She Reminds me of lots of 90's music.  Vampire is really similar chords to Creep by Radiohead.

1 minute ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

lol 43 year old fan here - maybe I fall into the category of elder fan pretending to still be with it. She Reminds me of lots of 90's music.  Vampire is really similar chords to Creep by Radiohead.

Admittedly I'm coming from a place of "this seems like young people's music" fear

9 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

how is it bollocks? It was going to happen and that looks to have changed.

We don't know that. It might have been going to happen, according to someone on discord (who tbf has a good track record). For all they (and we) know, there might have just been some initial eqnuiries and never went any further.

The man hasn't got any gigs announced this year, anywhere in the world, and hasn't done a proper standalone concert since 2019....

1 minute ago, ghostdancer1 said:

We don't know that. It might have been going to happen, according to someone on discord (who tbf has a good track record). For all they (and we) know, there might have just been some initial eqnuiries and never went any further.

The man hasn't got any gigs announced this year, anywhere in the world, and hasn't done a proper standalone concert since 2019....

Pretty sure the suggestion that SW was doing it came from more than one source.

And it was somewhat validated when the list of BST dates posted on here turned out to be (aside from SW pulling out) bang on the money, including a couple of names that were miles off the radar at that point.

1 minute ago, incident said:

Pretty sure the suggestion that SW was doing it came from more than one source.

And it was somewhat validated when the list of BST dates posted on here turned out to be (aside from SW pulling out) bang on the money, including a couple of names that were miles off the radar at that point.

You've been very fair minded and diplomatic today. 

By contrast, I came here  for a Mrs Merton style heated debate.