2024 Headliners

39 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

I think the idea of a Hot fuss anniversary gig at Glastonbury is 100% not happening. Secret gig - maybe, Headliner - highly unlikely 

Nobody thinks they are headlining - its been like 2 fests since they last did it

10 minutes ago, stuie said:

If they (The Killers) want to do it, under a pseudonym, for cheap or free, then the festival wouldn't even think twice about giving them the nod.  

I can see them going we can do a gig now otherwise it'll be 26/27 they could be free again (NME interview with BF said he's almost done his 3rd solo album which puts the Killers releasing a new album 26 earliest) 

But chat of a Hot fuss anniversary gig at Glastonbury doesn't make any sense to me.  Secret set of some sort is most likely 

13 hours ago, K2SO said:

Yeah, I think if they were to do it, they'd definitely have to mix the setlist up a little so they don't just play the album cover to cover. It would absolutely kill the crowd after 5 songs. I think they should also throw in a few other tracks and get maybe 75 minutes. I'd go with;

Somebody Told Me
Jenny Was a Friend of Mine
On Top
Human
Andy, You're A Star
Everything Will Be Alright
Smile Like You Mean It
Glamourous Indie Rock 'n' Roll
Midnight Show
Change Your Mind*
Read My Mind
All These Things That I've Done
When You Were Young
Mr Brightside

*Maybe - it is on the US version of the album

Everything Will Be Alright is the one I'm less sure about in a live context, given The Killers seemed to barely play it even when Hot Fuss was their only album.

Believe Me Natalie is a tune though so I'd keep that in. I also like Change Your Mind, even if over here it was held back before being deposited on their Sawdust odds and sods collection.

Just now, gfa said:

Nobody thinks they are headlining - its been like 2 fests since they last did it

There was chat earlier on about if Madonna pulled out who could come in last minute. Personally I dont see it happening at all (Festival would lose credibility having them on again so soon) 

1 hour ago, K2SO said:

Hot Fuss is a cover to cover great album, but it just would not hold the attention of a festival audience after the 5th song because those fist 5 songs are so f**king good.

It's possibly the strongest opening half of a debut album ever - Jenny Was a Friend of Mine, Mr Brightside, Smile Like You Mean It, Somebody Told Me, All These Things That I've Done.

You just can't follow that.

There are still good songs after All These Things - I love Midnight Show, for instance, and I know a lot of fans still have time for On Top. But I agree it's a very unbalanced album.

I remember seeing Muse play Origin in full at Reading in 2011, which has New Born, Bliss and Plug in Baby - the 3 big singles - in the first half, then the second got a bit more weird and out there, and those were the songs that I think a general festival audience would've gone "... what the hell is this?" at.

4 minutes ago, On The Blend said:

I guess I've just never really got the hype around 'played in full' festival sets. If you want to do deep cuts for the real fans then do it your own gigs, it's just a bit weird to play objectively less popular songs to a general audience. 

Agree with that. Always thought the greatest hits sets are best for a festival audience.  I’ve been to a few theatre gigs where a band has announced they were playing the whole of a yet unreleased album, to be greeted with groans from the crowd😉

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

There are still good songs after All These Things - I love Midnight Show, for instance, and I know a lot of fans still have time for On Top. But I agree it's a very unbalanced album.

I remember seeing Muse play Origin in full at Reading in 2011, which has New Born, Bliss and Plug in Baby - the 3 big singles - in the first half, then the second got a bit more weird and out there, and those were the songs that I think a general festival audience would've gone "... what the hell is this?" at.

Reading at the time was a lot more one genre. Glastonbury never has been to the same extent - which is likely why acts never seem to do album in full sets at glasto

59 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Agree with that. Always thought the greatest hits sets are best for a festival audience.  I’ve been to a few theatre gigs where a band has announced they were playing the whole of a yet unreleased album, to be greeted with groans from the crowd😉

That is just bang out of order. No one signed up for that

43 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Only Madge can save the festival from the worst set of headliners since 2007.

That title can only be attributed after the event.

Someone made the very valid point that on paper Stormzy - Killers - Cure is a pretty uninspiring trio, and yet all three gave universally beloved performances.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

That title can only be attributed after the event.

Someone made the very valid point that on paper Stormzy - Killers - Cure is a pretty uninspiring trio, and yet all three gave universally beloved performances.

Only Stormzy properly made a mark though.

Granted The Killers could probably exceed expectations yet again by bringing on New Order, Morrissey, Robert Smith, Depeche Mode and the Rebel MC so that the end of the set is its own thing entirely 

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Only Stormzy properly made a mark though.

Granted The Killers could probably exceed expectations yet again by bringing on New Order, Morrissey, Robert Smith, Depeche Mode and the Rebel MC so that the end of the set is its own thing entirely 

Did Stormzy make a mark?

His set went down a storm granted, but I'd argue he peaked that night.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Did Stormzy make a mark?

His set went down a storm granted, but I'd argue he peaked that night.

Yeah, I think so.

His career since has been a little bit hot and cold, but you really don't do better than him looking pumped as f**k in that Banksy vest looking like something out of mythology.

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

I completely agree. Hot Fuss is one of my all-time favourite albums... But imagine them getting past those first 5 tracks on the Pyramid on Friday afternoon. Once Andy, You're A Star begins, the crowd are just going to start talking amongst themselves, so I definitely think they'd have to mix the order up to keep the show engaging

2 hours ago, On The Blend said:

I guess I've just never really got the hype around 'played in full' festival sets. If you want to do deep cuts for the real fans then do it your own gigs, it's just a bit weird to play objectively less popular songs to a general audience. 

Well it is also weird that fans of a band would prefer to see "just the hits" for the 5th or 20th time. For most bands I know, I would probably skip a festival set if it is more less guaranteed they will play the same songs again. I would prefer some objectively less popular songs. For bands I don't know, I don't care so much about their setlist choice.

Now for a sold out festival like Glastonbury I do understand that there is no point of promoting a full album show or anything like that to sell more tickets or get more fans of a particular.

But still, I don't really understand people who want only hits and no deep cuts in general.