2024 Headliners

7 hours ago, clarkete said:

Yesterday someone on a thread mentioned Beyonce and I was thinking "hang on, where's @Skip997"

You been OK? (and I'm not joking, just checking) 

Yea am good, thanks for asking. Just been “off grid” for a while, moved into my van full time 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Yea am good, thanks for asking. Just been “off grid” for a while, moved into my van full time 

How’s it going? Are you mobile or static at the moment? Good luck! 

17 minutes ago, stuie said:

Do you think Glasto might have waited for dua announcement to go first? Maybe. But maybe just coincidence.

Its either they waited, or the announcement was planned in  accordance with the lineup tomorrow say that the press that surround it will cover the fact that her album is coming out. In my head it could be either way.

49 minutes ago, nathanh said:

Its either they waited, or the announcement was planned in  accordance with the lineup tomorrow say that the press that surround it will cover the fact that her album is coming out. In my head it could be either way.

Yes… could be either way, or not related! 

2 hours ago, paulshane said:

10 years asleep is still a banging tune though,

They have quite a few really good tunes. I'd not listened to them for years but had a bit of a revival last year. First 2 albums are great.

Edited by Johnnyseven

On 3/11/2024 at 6:16 PM, ace56blaa said:

I mean I get why Glastonbury would book them and not arguing that they wouldn't it is just a shame that it's Coldplay headlining. I'm sure they'll smash it (I like some Coldplay stuff) and I know other festivals repeat headliners (often when constrained to certain genres) the same or more often. But even though it's because of pandemic/ fallow year not given the top slot to someone else considering there has only been four festivals since they last did it. Has there been any big Coldplay songs in the zeitgeist since then? Genuine question. There was 7 festivals between artic monkey appearances and people still thought that was a boring booking. 

But yeah I agree with all the arguments. it's been eight years I guess, Coldplay are safe n reliable. You don't have to watch pyramid headliners, I like seeing headliners on other stages just feel it's a shame because seeing a band headline pyramid is always a moment n I always rather them present something new or risky. Or at least a less beige safe option.

I guess I'm more a fan of fun choices n sza n dua lipa are so much more interesting to me even though I haven't listened that much to either. But if there's been loads of drop outs etc it's just again a shame how Coldplay is the go to safe bet in such an interesting festival

I think Coldplay were locked in ages ago. It only seems repetitive to those of us lucky enough to go to Glastonbury m. To the outside world they’re about the biggest band in the world, a hard ticket to get/afford, doing their only festival set on the entire tour.

Since 2016 they’ve had the one with Chainsmokers (I think) and the one with BTS that was absolutely massive. I think Higher Power did ok too, even if it was just people thinking it was a funky remix of Boys of Summer 😁

10 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

I think Coldplay were locked in ages ago. It only seems repetitive to those of us lucky enough to go to Glastonbury m. To the outside world they’re about the biggest band in the world, a hard ticket to get/afford, doing their only festival set on the entire tour.

Since 2016 they’ve had the one with Chainsmokers (I think) and the one with BTS that was absolutely massive. I think Higher Power did ok too, even if it was just people thinking it was a funky remix of Boys of Summer 😁

Their last couple of albums have been baaaaad. Like, bad enough to even alienate people like me who previously kept defending them long after they stopped being ‘cool’. If they promised to play the hits I’d see them again but the current tour setlist has a bit too much new stuff on considering most of what they’ve released since 2015 has been crap.

Sure they’ll get it right on the Pyramid though.

31 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Their last couple of albums have been baaaaad. Like, bad enough to even alienate people like me who previously kept defending them long after they stopped being ‘cool’. If they promised to play the hits I’d see them again but the current tour setlist has a bit too much new stuff on considering most of what they’ve released since 2015 has been crap.

Sure they’ll get it right on the Pyramid though.

I haven’t listened to the last one but I thought Everyday Life was good, quite uncommercial for them. They’ll bin a lot of the chaff for the Pyramid though I’m sure.

7 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Another year suggesting the fest is trying to move away from the model of the Pyramid headliners being the be all and end all. Fantastic lineup apart from the top line being a bit meh. 

Nope they clearly just failed to get a mega star like Madonna so bumped up SZA.

As I said a few days ago

Feel like I’m at a familiar point in the cycle here. As we get close to poster time I have a long list of acts who are touring and could play, that probably couldn’t realistically fit on the bill in appropriate positions. Then when the poster drops I’m disappointed they’re not all there. 

Then I dig into the names and discover new stuff, and zero in on the big names on the bill I do want to see. Get more and more excited as it gets closer.

Then the full line up comes out and loads of them clash.

Then I switch to checking the weather forecast every 7 minutes.

Then I have an amazing time despite forgetting acts I wanted to see.

Its the circle of life.”

At the bold bit currently, though normally I’m more disappointed than this TBH.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Aye.

There's no way they did a post-mortem after Elton last year and went "That was a disaster let's not do it again"

Yeah it is fairly clear they still go all out to try get these types of acts. It's clear it was Madonna this year maybe next year it will be her again. We have seen from past examples (Prince) that they will sometimes try again and again.  I think they know they have some leeway to bump up smaller acts like SZA but also they don't want to rest on their laurels too much, they will remember the times they weren't the hottest ticket in town.

I reckon Swift and Madonna will be the big ones they will be trying to secure over the next couple years. They are always going to be restrained by the plans of the artist. If Madonna announces a BST date or whatever they can probs get her.