2024 Headliners

15 minutes ago, incident said:

What percentage of people who went to Glastonbury 2016 will be going in 2024?

Obviously we can only guess. But my guess would be substantially less than 50%. And probably much closer to 20%.

Agreed. We’re in a tiny, and very fortunate, minority.

To obsessives like us Coldplay is the laziest, most unimaginative booking possible (other than Muse). Same band bringing the same show over and over again. Yes it's a good show and I'm glad I've seen it but there's no real need for it to happen again.

To regular punters and the world outside these forums however they're one of, if not the, biggest bands on the planet and an enormous get. Emily is never going to turn down an offer from them to play given their relationship with the festival.

16 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Nope. It was 2015. First Foo Fighters, then that turned out not to be true (Dave Grohl broke his leg). Then Prince and that turned out not to be true (he pulled out). Then Fleetwood Mac turned out to be untrue as well (they pulled out due to the payday).

The Foos were booked and announced. Not sure you can actually count that as "not true".

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I thought this was live so rushed off to check the webcam.

Nothing.

Unfortunately not. Was lucky to have been at the farm for the live event. Was fantastic.  Hopefully going to walk around the site this week.

18 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

I think it’s a bit entitled TBH. Some of us on here are lucky enough to get to go repeatedly. That won’t be the case for thousands and thousands of others. They won’t be rolling their eyes because ‘oh no it’s Arctic Monkeys again’ or ‘Coldplay again’. This might be a once in a lifetime chance for them to see a huge act they can’t get/afford tickets for.

Coldplay for example are just about the most reliable stadium fillers in the world. Having them at the top of the bill as their only U.K. show of the year, is absolutely massive to the average punter. You wouldn’t want them or anyone else booked every other year but it’s been 8 years, that’s not unreasonable (and number of festivals doesn’t matter, Covid broke that calculation). I’d say the same if they’d lined up the Foos or Sheeran or Adele.

Usually 1:1 with your posts on here for over a decade mate, but disagree strongly. Having same vanilla bands (ones you name) headline every 4 or 5 fests is a pisspoor option. Fest gets predictable, staid, dull, old. Coldplay singing "Fix You" over that field in June is grim enough once per decade.

2 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Usually 1:1 with your posts on here for over a decade mate, but disagree strongly. Having same vanilla bands (ones you name) headline every 4 or 5 fests is a pisspoor option. Fest gets predictable, staid, dull, old. Coldplay singing "Fix You" over that field in June is grim enough once per decade.

But that's balanced out this by the opposite of stale / predictable / dull / old headliners booked on the other nights.

Aye. Always something for just about everyone no matter where you look. You've got to be pretty narrow in your tastes if you can't find something to be vaguely interested in across the five main stages, and if that is the case, there's still two-dozen other ways to spend the night.

35 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yeah but they were actually booked/in talks. I dont see any evidence of that this year. 

If you question the sources they won't bother telling us in the future.  Or something. 

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

But that's balanced out this by the opposite of stale / predictable / dull / old headliners booked on the other nights.

Think theres some legends doing rounds that we could have bagged. UK's biggest popstar. UK's biggest vanilla band for people that hate music. AN Other. Seems they're taking a big risk and missing a huge opportunity.

Think it will come out in the wash that Madge dropped them in a slurry pit from the top of the Tor.

1 minute ago, smogo said:

I don't think I've ever met anyone who likes Coldplay. How do they manage to sell out massive shows? Who are their fans and why?

"UK's biggest vanilla band for people that hate music."

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, smogo said:

I don't think I've ever met anyone who likes Coldplay. How do they manage to sell out massive shows? Who are their fans and why?

I've seen Coldplay on their last two Stadium tours (2016/2022) and they were great. 
I like to think that I have a pretty wide and good taste in music but can't help but just enjoy Coldplay (although their last album was rubbish to be fair). 
They will be just fine as a Pyramid headliner again, despite it not being very exciting or at all forward thinking. 

• Upvote 2

Im so glad Emily does the booking not many of the people posting here .... she and the team doing an amazing job with a pretty great mix of artists , including the massive ones that sell out stadiums and yes look incredible on the bbc which help the festival sell out year after year and they should continue to book those acts if they are available while adding some others into the mix like they've potentially done with SZA . its pretty easy to walk to another of the 5 main stages . Nice one Emily 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, chickenfire said:

I've seen Coldplay on their last two Stadium tours (2016/2022) and they were great. 
I like to think that I have a pretty wide and good taste in music but can't help but just enjoy Coldplay (although their last album was rubbish to be fair). 
They will be just fine as a Pyramid headliner again, despite it not being very exciting or at all forward thinking. 

If the headliners are as rumoured then despite all the negative comments I reckon the pyramid field would be busiest when Chris and the lads are playing. It’s quite a decent set of headliners imo.

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

3 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Im so glad Emily does the booking not many of the people posting here .... she and the team doing an amazing job with a pretty great mix of artists , including the massive ones that sell out stadiums and yes look incredible on the bbc which help the festival sell out year after year and they should continue to book those acts if they are available while adding some others into the mix like they've potentially done with SZA . its pretty easy to walk to another of the 5 main stages . Nice one Emily 

I mean right now Glastonbury may as well not exist as we don’t have a single name - so for this year there’s nothing to back that up, but hopefully once it drops I’ll be onboard!

Edited by discgoesmic

5 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Aye. Always something for just about everyone no matter where you look. You've got to be pretty narrow in your tastes if you can't find something to be vaguely interested in across the five main stages, and if that is the case, there's still two-dozen other ways to spend the night.

Exactly this, in 9 festivals I think there have been 2 nights when I haven’t seen a one of the 5 main stage headliners and one year I went to the Glade (old glade which I still prefer) and once to Arcadia, there are a million things to do at Glastonbury I don’t care for any of the headliners this year but I think. Coldplay Dua and SZA (despite me not knowing them) is a good set of headliners covering a wide demographic 

41 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

It only looks staid to those lucky enough to go every time Coldplay headline. It’s one of the most ‘first world problem’ type complaints I’ve ever heard. Plus it’s not like repeat bookings dominate the top of the bill. Last 3 festivals have seen Stormzy, Eilish and GNR headline while we seem to be looking at two first timers this year.