2024 Headliners

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

I remember The Who had to rearrange a gig in Paris or something to make that. They must have been very, very desperate. 

What other names were thrown about in 2015 before The Who were announced does anyone know?

Wasn't that the year they were heavily chasing Prince to the point they thought they had him locked in?

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

I remember The Who had to rearrange a gig in Paris or something to make that. They must have been very, very desperate. 

What other names were thrown about in 2015 before The Who were announced does anyone know?

I honestly cannot remember. Had they not taken 2015 off, hindsight makes me think Biffy Clyro could have, and would have done it - but they promptly went off a cliff the year after.

3 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

The Who went from doing 2 Paris gigs to 1, and seemingly didn't have any problem transferring tickets across, so it's at least possible that they were going to cancel one of the gigs anyway due to soft sales.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Wasn't that the year they were heavily chasing Prince to the point they thought they had him locked in?

Yep, he gave them the run around in 2014, 15 & 16. They bent over backwards to try to make that happen, shame it never did. 

edit: actually he’d been giving them the run around for years. In 2011 they thought they had him, then he went for Hop Farm festival instead, which resulted in Beyoncé being bumped up to headline. 

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Thought the Verve were meant to be good.

Yeah hindsight for Kanye but one of the biggest names on the planet.

AF a bit on the small side I agree. 

The Verve were fantastic on the night.  I think they are a name which has more limited appeal... Put it one way they were part of the line-up that only sold out right before the festival (which included KOL & Jay-Z) only time I can remember that happening.

4 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Prince. I seem to recall the Who outright saying they were replacing Prince after he walked away from talks. The same thing happened the year before when Metallica were booked when they were supposed to be exclusive to Sonisphere. 

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I think so, I was just wondering how they got from that to The Who when they were already booked elsewhere. There must have been a few tries in between there surely.

Looking back, 2015 was pretty shite lineup

29 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Why are you so adamant that no one could possibly have insider information? 

Why are you so defensive lol. What does it matter 🤣 I'm not being adamant about anything...

Think about what you're asking here... you're asking a bunch of strangers on the internet to trust that another stranger on the internet can vouch that another stranger on the internet heard from his friend in the industry that certain people were booked, then not booked then someone else booked and then not booked, and then another person has been booked. We don't know if any of the previous information was correct because it was never announced. And I don't care enough really to find out exactly what a stranger said on a given day and time over the last 20 years before an announcement to check up on a track record. 🤣

No one is telling you not to have faith in your source if you want to. But don't get waspy and downvote people who choose to think there's a possibility that other acts could have been booked all along 🤷🏼‍♀️  It's perfectly acceptable to not trust strangers on the Internet and I'm glad that we can still have a surprise 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, JonSnow said:

It's silly to have a market at all for something as like you say is very easy to exploit with insider knowledge.

I remember a few years ago seeing a bookies betting market for 'who will win the Apprentice' on like episode 2, of course a show which has been pre-recorded several months earlier.

Unsurprisingly the eventual winner had a price of about 1/50

The winner of The Apprentice isn't actually chosen until the final's broadcast date. So if you were "in the know", it would still be a 50/50 shot based on who gets to the final.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/entertainment/reality-tv/how-is-the-apprentice-final-filmed/

“Two endings are filmed in order to ensure that the winner is not revealed in advance,” reads the official website.

“Lord Sugar does not tell the production team and the finalists about the identity of his new business partner until the day before the transmission of the final programme.”"

57 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

This is the attitude to have. I remember my first Glastonbury - 2016 and thinking "Muse? Adele? Coldplay? What a boring load of Radio 2 fodder." Thankfully, I went to see other things and enjoy myself without whinging constantly that things weren't to my taste. 

Agrees in Sigur Ros, M83 and LCD 🥳 2016 was one of my best ever, despite the rain!

6 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

What does it matter 🤣 

If every person who wants to share info they’ve found out gets greeted with cynicism and / or hostility they'll not bother next time and take it elsewhere.

Which is why other parts of the festival internet ecosphere now generally seem to have better intel than this place.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

What would you say these are?

for me the only 2 that I think were slight missteps of recent times were Kasabian and Mumford and Sons. I'm sure plenty of people enjoyed them on the night.  

Edited by glimmers_of_hope

32 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Chances are, if there's an artist in line for the headline spot and you've never heard of them, it says more about you than the festival. You can count on one hand and have fingers spare the amount of times the festival has got it wrong.

Oh I agree - I've never pretended to be clued up when it comes to music - which is partly why I love the poster drops as it gives me time to explore loads of new to me stuff.

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Not logged on all weekend as I was busy, but until this morning I'd never even heard of SZA and I'm fairly music obsessive.  Just had her on Spotify for 8-10 tracks and I'm hugely underwhelmed to be honest.  Reminds me of the vocal gymnastic R&B that was everywhere around 2000 - 2005.  All the tracks sound very samey.  Guess it's not for me.

Similar for me.  Don't hate it but I don't think I'd be there.

10 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I think so, I was just wondering how they got from that to The Who when they were already booked elsewhere. There must have been a few tries in between there surely.

Looking back, 2015 was pretty shite lineup

Prince didn’t confirm his shows until 12 weeks out, which required promoters to take it on trust that he’d sign and that they could shift the tickets in time. For years that was too high risk for Glastonbury, but they pushed hard in 2014/15.

From memory… In 2014 the story was that they had him lined up with Metallica (who were Sonisphere exclusives) in the back pocket for the Other so both be announced late, they lost Prince so could bump up Metallica (although some have since said they were always booked to headline so shrug)

In 2015 he took it right to the wire and again dropped out at that 12 week mark, and they didn’t have another big act they could push onto the top line hence favours were called in and The Who made it work - they were only announced on May 6 that year.

9 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

We don't know if any of the previous information was correct because it was never announced

You're missing the bit where someone gave info on every single BST headliner including dates, the only one missing was Stevie W. So either they guessed them all with unbelievable accuracy or they are in the know and something changed with Stevie.

I downvoted cause suggesting these things were guesses is just plain daft.

11 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

what a stranger said on a given day and time over the last 20 years

It was this year lol and people have said this several times now

I'm not the one down voting lol. Simply joking about the fact it could all be nonsense 🤣 

Nevermind then everyone. No more discussion to be had really. Lineup is Dua, Coldplay & SZA 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

for me the only 2 that I think were slight missteps of recent times were Kasabian and Mumford and Sons. I'm sure plenty of people enjoyed them on the night.  

Kasabian were defo big enough

Mumford too tbh, they were huge then and still pretty big now

Just now, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

I'm not the one down voting lol. Simply joking about the fact it could all be nonsense 🤣 

Nevermind then everyone. No more discussion to be had really. Lineup is Dua, Coldplay & SZA 🤷🏼‍♀️

First two yes, SZA who knows. As alluded to the third one has changed and its not clear yet