2024 Headliners

28 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

If this is it, then slightly better than last year

Coldplay = AM

Dua Lipa > GnR

Stevie Wonder > EJ

Clearly your mileage will vary on whether you agree with the above or not.  Feels about right though for the most part I probably agree with it other than SW/ EJ.  Workings below.....

Coldplay is the bigger "get" than AM because AM did Reading the year before and were on a stadium tour where you could have caught them in some quite provincial locations (I saw them a few weeks before at Carrow road in Norwich for instance).  That said, I loved The Car and haven't enjoyed anything recorded by Coldplay for a long time.

On balance I reckon Coldplay is the slightly "better" booking, but probably about equal.

Hard to compare Dua Lipa and GnR but for me personally Dua has a lot more bangers and is absolutely the sort of act who should be headlining.  Hard to argue that G'n'R weren't a actually a good booking though, even though I hate them.  Rather have a headliner at the right time in their career rather than one who is past it.

Stevie Wonder vs Elton John.  Interested in how you got to SW being better booking, seemed like EJ was a big deal last year.  Don't get me wrong I loved Stevie in 2010 and he has some solid gold hits but I reckon this feels like a draw to me.

57 minutes ago, gfa said:

I don't think they are too worried.

BST audience generally tends to be richer people more than massive music fans who will just pay whatever to some degree

KOL haven't done many UK dates since covid so will probably do fine - its definitely not the day i'm most doubtful about!

KOL are at the F1 btw which will be why they are held back for now

Well, they did the rounds with arenas in 2022 in Birmingham, Leeds, Newcastle, Glasgow, Manchester and a pair in London, then doing the Wrexham party for Reynolds & Mac. So they've been here for a few dates.

I thought they might be likelier for Finsbury given that was their originally announced 2020 plan before some disease or other got in the way.

Certainly, at £100 for a ticket, the F1 thing is interesting given I'm not sure many who just want to see Kings of Leon are going to there for that when there's also a lot of people there very much in place for the actual F1 event.

Wasn't there also a rumour a few pages back of Kings of Leon doing a stadium date in Bristol the week before Glastonbury and this rumoured BST date?

10 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Coldplay is the bigger "get" than AM because AM did Reading the year before and were on a stadium tour where you could have caught them in some quite provincial locations (I saw them a few weeks before at Carrow road in Norwich for instance).  That said, I loved The Car and haven't enjoyed anything recorded by Coldplay for a long time.

On balance I reckon Coldplay is the slightly "better" booking, but probably about equal.

I mean, I get that Coldplay are popular and they have a more acclaimed live show but just can't get into them. So I'm naturally going to prefer AM, even if they're hit and miss live.

Exclusivity will admittedly do some lifting, given Arctic's came during a big tour. Indeed last year I saw them in Middlesbrough a few weeks before Glasto.

It's definitely a strong set of headliners in comparison to other festivals, look at Download's in comparison which is the biggest UK fest after Glasto. Their biggest headliner (Qotsa) headlined the other stage last year. 

It's also pretty damn boring too, especially for me personally. It feels like an AI generated set of headliners. 

Coldplay as the "rock/guitar" headliner during a year when AC/DC, Green Day, Smashing Pumpkins are active shows how safe they're playing it, but at the same time I totally get it when they're more popular, cheaper to book and great for iPlayer watchers so it makes sense.

Will be fantastic regardless, but would have liked to see them put a cat amongst the pigeons!

19 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Who would you book? 

Don't ask. Skip thinks the only appropriate acts to play the Pyramid are those he likes, rather than those who would actually be popular with a 2024 festival audience. In this alternative reality a scowling Tom Waits would be wheeled on for the Sunday Legend slot to a completely bemused and rapidly dwindling audience and, later on, headliners Misty In Roots would play to a couple of thousand punters 

12 minutes ago, tickleyt said:

It's definitely a strong set of headliners in comparison to other festivals, look at Download's in comparison which is the biggest UK fest after Glasto. Their biggest headliner (Qotsa) headlined the other stage last year. 

It's also pretty damn boring too, especially for me personally. It feels like an AI generated set of headliners. 

Coldplay as the "rock/guitar" headliner during a year when AC/DC, Green Day, Smashing Pumpkins are active shows how safe they're playing it, but at the same time I totally get it when they're more popular, cheaper to book and great for iPlayer watchers so it makes sense.

Will be fantastic regardless, but would have liked to see them put a cat amongst the pigeons!

last time Smashing Pumpkins played Glasto they didn't even headline the Other stage so I don't think they are a headliner anymore.

10 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

last time Smashing Pumpkins played Glasto they didn't even headline the Other stage so I don't think they are a headliner anymore.

While I agree they're not (anywhere near) a Pyramid headliner.

Last time they played was Billy and some hired hands. Their current lineup is much closer to being the proper band.

• Upvote 1

I'm genuinely trying to think of "creative" headline bookings the festival has made in the past twenty years: Jay Z was one. 

Since 2004 we've had: Oasis, Paul McCartney (x2), Muse (x3), The White Stripes, Coldplay (x2), Arctic Monkeys (x3), The Killers (x3), The Who (x2), Kings of Leon, Jay Z, The Verve, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, Blur, Stevie Wonder, U2, Beyonce, The Stones, Mumfords, Arcade Fire, Kasabian, Metallica, Kanye, Adele, Radiohead, Foo Fighters, Ed Sheeran, Stormzy, The Killers, The Cure, Billie Eilish, Kendrick Lamar, Guns n Roses and Elton. 

Tbh, I think the festival's headliner pool has been much more diverse recently. In the early 00s it was either classic rock, indie rock, or alternative rock. 

3 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Since 2004 we've had: Oasis, Paul McCartney (x2), Muse (x3), The White Stripes, Coldplay (x2), Arctic Monkeys (x3), The Killers (x3), The Who (x2), Kings of Leon, Jay Z, The Verve, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, Blur, Stevie Wonder, U2, Beyonce, The Stones, Mumfords, Arcade Fire, Kasabian, Metallica, Kanye, Adele, Radiohead, Foo Fighters, Ed Sheeran, Stormzy, The Killers, The Cure, Billie Eilish, Kendrick Lamar, Guns n Roses and Elton. 

That's pretty much a list of all of the biggest artists and bands possible.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Music is yesterday's news and old hat as an entertainment form.  Anyone still wanting it to top the bill is stuck in the wrong century imho.

To truly bring the festival up to date there's only one choice to top the bill:

440px-MrBeast_2023_(cropped).jpg

The three B's of Glastonbury 2025

Friday - Beast 

Saturday - Boris

Sunday - Bunny

2 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

I'm genuinely trying to think of "creative" headline bookings the festival has made in the past twenty years: Jay Z was one. 

Tbh, I think the festival's headliner pool has been much more diverse recently. In the early 00s it was either classic rock, indie rock, or alternative rock. 

Thats a phenomenal list. That just makes the bookers-and remember what they pay-look like they’re very very good at their job.

The idea that one of the biggest music festivals in the world has to be ‘creative’ or ‘imaginative’ or ‘edgy’ is just self indulgent bollocks. Sorry. They need to sell over 100000 expensive tickets. 

4 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

The idea that one of the biggest music festivals in the world has to be ‘creative’ or ‘imaginative’ or ‘edgy’ is just self indulgent bollocks. Sorry. They need to sell over 100000 expensive tickets. 

once upon a time the creative industries were creative! 😛 

20 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Of course they should be creative and imaginative, otherwise it just becomes another Leeds/Reading/Download/Latitude/Coachella/APE etc, etc

Why do they need to sell over 100,000 tickets? I've always said Glastonbury will sell out regardless and IMO a couple of years of imagination and creativity, re headliners (and the Pyramid lineup overall) would change the dynamic for the better.

15 minutes ago, Neil said:

once upon a time the creative industries were creative! 😛 

The creative industries are still creative

Edited by Skip997