2024 Headliners

54 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

People will still show their arses by moaning that Dua Lipa and O-Rod are too similar with too little to differentiate them, when theyre fundamentally very different propositions.

Agreed, which is in some ways the plaster we need to rip off. If Bruno Mars and Green Day were booked nobody would be lumping them together, but that still happens to ‘female headliners.’

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Thing is, it would be Coldplay on the Sunday.

i mean personally for me its totally fine, solid set of headliners. i cant imagine any of the 3 would be worse than arctics monkeys / GnR (yes i was at both) last year. 

maybe a touch too "similar" for people who dont listen to the music / at a glance. but headliners are always dictated by a variety of factors outside of genres. 

I've always thought the festival was too slow getting people on the up to headline at times, feel like they've gone the other way a bit. Getting people with 1-2 albums under their belt. Assuming headlining G is a once and done thing. You miss out on getting them at their peak with a career defining set.

Impossible to judge someone's career trajectory so thankless task mind

I'm getting way too old for this sh*t.

I saw reference to O-Rod and thought "I've never heard of O-Rod", just as I'd never heard of Dave until his name cropped up in the "2023 Headliners?" thread last year.

So, I had to Google O-Rod.......

🥴🥴🥴

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stuie said:

I'm saying that there seems to have been a shift from that in the recent years. 

because it's not been the usual since 2010.

6 V 4 in terms of rockier acts since 2010 (and that's lumping Florence in with the non-"rock" acts and ignoring the fact that in 2014 the rockiest act played the next night!). Two more non-"rock" Friday headliners and it's anyones game! 

Gorillaz (2010)

U2 (2011)

Arctic Monkeys (2013)

Arcade Fire (2014)

Florence (2015)

Muse (2016)

Radiohead (2017)

Stormzy (2019)

Billie Eilish (2022)

Arctic Monkeys (2023)

Edit: typo

Edited by Toilet Duck

4 hours ago, stuie said:

Whilst this used to be true for many years, in recent festivals it doesn't seem to be - Beyonce, Stormzy, Billie Eilish, Florence, Macca (who doesn't count apparently) Gorillaz.

Kendrick was booked for Friday night 2020 too.

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Kendrick was booked for Friday night 2020 too.

it's not too hard to amend this rule/booking-ideology to "rock acts or young up and comers headline the pyramid friday night" and it works better - and the exceptions could be considered, "act that was only available for friday that year" 

Have I missed something? Why has the Olivia Rodrigo chat turned up a bit today?

Just my two cents, I think booking her to headline at this point would be a bad move, both for her and the festival. She may have big numbers behind her, but the reality is that she has, at this moment in time, played less than 100 live shows - With a lot of those being promo sets for TV, radio, award shows, etc. I think it's a big risk to book someone with such little experience to take on such a huge slot, and for her to take it, because there's every chance it could fall flat on it's arse.

To make an analogy, it's like when you see a young footballer and think "Yeah they could captain England one day, but maybe they need a Championship loan spell for now" - And that's no insult, even England's all time top scorer had a loan spell at Millwall.

Don't get me wrong, if she plays, I'd hope she proves me wrong, but I certainly wouldn't want to put my money behind her headline set.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

6 V 4 in terms of rockier acts since 2010 (and that's lumping Florence in with the non-"rock" acts and ignoring the fact that in 2014 the rockiest act played the next night!). Two more non-"rock" Friday headliners and it's anyones game! 

Gorillaz (2010)

U2 (2011)

Arctic Monkeys (2013)

Arcade Fire (2014)

Florence (2015)

Muse (2016)

Radiohead (2017)

Stormzy (2019)

Billie Eilish (2022)

Arctic Monkeys (2023)

Edit: typo

For some reason I had Beyonce playing on Friday too.  

The original point was I don't think we can assume Friday night is rock night anymore, with these obvious recent exceptions to the rule. 

I still maintain that, in an ideal world, the 2019 act and date balance got it damn right. 

Rising star on the Friday, twenty-first-century peak heavyweight on the Saturday, vintage legendary champion on the Sunday. 

But then, of course, you probably want that Sunday pick to have a bit of party in them.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, K2SO said:

Have I missed something? Why has the Olivia Rodrigo chat turned up a bit today?

Just my two cents, I think booking her to headline at this point would be a bad move, both for her and the festival. She may have big numbers behind her, but the reality is that she has, at this moment in time, played less than 100 live shows - With a lot of those being promo sets for TV, radio, award shows, etc. I think it's a big risk to book someone with such little experience to take on such a huge slot, and for her to take it, because there's every chance it could fall flat on it's arse.

To make an analogy, it's like when you see a young footballer and think "Yeah they could captain England one day, but maybe they need a Championship loan spell for now" - And that's no insult, even England's all time top scorer had a loan spell at Millwall.

Don't get me wrong, if she plays, I'd hope she proves me wrong, but I certainly wouldn't want to put my money behind her headline set.

I agree with your analogy. She's not a Jude Bellingham type. She's more like Rico Lewis as glasto headliner 😂

2 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I still maintain that, in an ideal world, the 2019 act and date balance got it damn right. 

Rising star on the Friday, twenty-first-century peak heavyweight on the Saturday, vintage legendary champion on the Sunday. 

But then, of course, you probably want that Sunday pick to have a bit of party in them.

2020 you mean?

I'd love to see O-Rod in a headline slot. My friend and I caught her by chance in 2022 and it was one of the highlights of our weekend. She had the other stage field completely full in the middle of the day, roll on a bit more clout over the last two years and I have no doubt she could pull a half decent crowd for the Pyramid stage. She's relevant and talented enough and deserving enough to be there. I wasn't a fan before her set and ended up in tears of joy during it. She was jumping on a couple of different instruments and playing live which Dua certainly won't be doing. She had a fabulous, lovely energy. I still don't really choose her music to listen to at home but I thought she was absolutely magic live and if she tops the Pyramid then she'll probably be the only headliner I actually watch this year. Not sure if I see it happening...but I'm rooting for her 👊🏼

Edited by Bike_Like_A_Mum
  • Upvote 5

4 hours ago, douglasmanso said:

I can see Pulp headlining the Other stage instead subbing the pyramid - but i will control my expectations because last year i was expecting the same.

Tbf they're still yet to announce anything in the UK for '24 but given this is their biggest base and the fact they seemed to sell out the lot last year, you imagine they'll turn up in some form. Whether it's Glasto, I dunno - feel like '95 and 2011 make it hallowed ground and they might easily turn up elsewhere.

But then what do I know. I don't exactly have insider intel to the Jarvis Cocker booking hotline.