2024 Headliners

30 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Which year was this meant to have been for?

29 minutes ago, eatingglitter said:

I don’t know why I even wrote that 😂 brain isn’t working  

edit: no,I was right. It was 2013

Yup. He was on the original 2013 poster (revealed March 27th) as a West Holts headliner but mysteriously dropped off & was later replaced by Bobby Womack (announced April 26th). 

Screenshot_20231212_164327_X.thumb.jpg.c7891d4e5bcbce53365cc7b5d6a6143d.jpg

56 minutes ago, incident said:

The way it was said, I don't think the objection was to festivals in general, just the idea that he'd play one for less than his "going rate". Hence only agreeing to do Coachella when they offered a reported $8.5 million.

And tbh given he's currently able to earn millions per show, then by now he's probably already more than set for life and that's even factoring a typical pop-star lifestyle wasting millions on all kinds of sh*t.

The way I look at it - if he ever plays, it's because he's suddenly decided that it's something he needs to do regardless of the cash - which doesn't appear to be on the cards any time soon. This is total speculation on my part, but I get the impression that he's the kind of act that would sooner retire from music (and not miss it) rather than decline and end up playing clubs.

Or just retire flat out. He's meamt to be retiring The Weeknd, at any rate.

2 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Yup. He was on the original 2013 poster (revealed March 27th) as a West Holts headliner but mysteriously dropped off & was later replaced by Bobby Womack (announced April 26th). 

Bobby Womack was absolutely incredible!!!

Sadly died a year later. So I guess I owe the wknd thanks for the opportunity. 

On 12/10/2023 at 8:41 AM, Nobody Interesting said:

The number of young people watching, and loving, Elton I think puts this argument to bed.

At discos/parties/pubs when Madonna is played it gets the whole room going, young and old.

depends on the party and the party go-ers!

Alt J followed by Tame Impala on the other stage was a great run.

Django Django on the park were superp just after there 1st (and still best album) 

Crystal Castles of line up  headliners JP was wild. 

Saturday had a great run on William's green Daughter, Savages, Johnny Marr then Everything Everything. 

Caught Michael Kiwanuka at some points aswell. 

Kenny Rodgers legend slot and Bobby Womack on WH were fantastic Stones making a great trilogy of Veteren acts.

Got big love for the 2013 line up. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Yeah the Friday and Saturday were both pretty poor outside of the headliners. Saturday especially was a wasteland pre-Stones.

Ironically Sunday was good apart from Mumfords.

Couple decent people on the Sat. Stones were wonderful of course.

Few nice peeps on the WH on the Sunday. Outside of that very few memorable moments. I recall the Smashing Pumpkins for example being utter sh*t on the OS.

18 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

The Weeknd already had crazy hype behind him even a year before that, when he played Coachella 2012 to a huge crowd when he only had his mixtapes out, so I'd guess the Glastonbury booking had been made a long time before the 2013 lineup came out, and his agents knew that he was already headed for much bigger things.

e: while we're posting old lineups:

yUeqt5P.jpg

Edited by ghostdancer1

1 minute ago, Wooderson said:

I was at Chic and Bobby that year. Neither were as good as Fogerty or Justice if we're comparing recent WH headliners.

As insane as it is in hindsight, and for that matter at the time, Fogerty didn't headline the stage.

2 hours ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Alt J followed by Tame Impala on the other stage was a great run.

Django Django on the park were superp just after there 1st (and still best album) 

Crystal Castles of line up  headliners JP was wild. 

Saturday had a great run on William's green Daughter, Savages, Johnny Marr then Everything Everything. 

Caught Michael Kiwanuka at some points aswell. 

Kenny Rodgers legend slot and Bobby Womack on WH were fantastic Stones making a great trilogy of Veteren acts.

Got big love for the 2013 line up. 

Crystal Castles was an odd one. Finished early and Alice Glass really didn't seem ok throughout. Then all the allegations came out soon after and it made the set make a lot more sense. Glad she managed to eventually escape from a deeply sh*tty situation.

On 12/10/2023 at 6:48 PM, incident said:

Sure, but that's not a useful measuring stick.

I mean realistically, I don't think there's anyone at all who has the same near universal appeal as Elton. The Rolling Stones probably come closest, but they've been there, done that, and probably won't be back for a second go around.

And even Elton, five years ago, would not have had the crowd he did. The Dua Lipa / Britney collaborations bought him chart relevance and radio play and captured a whole new audience. It's rare any act captures multiple generations in that way, and it normally doesn't matter as it's rare any festival attracts such a wide age range as Glastonbury either.