2024 Headliners

13 hours ago, MichaelsBeard said:

The 🐐 lineup and year 

That's the most stacked lineup ive ever seen to be honest and right down my street. Oh how I wish I was there. 

They will never repeat anything like that, would cost them too much these days. And there is now way too much emphasis on  pop and grime type acts these days. But thats just me being an old fuss pot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, crumbler said:

I'm not convinced Elton has more mass appeal than The Stones tbh. He was considered fairly naff and doing gigs at regional cricket grounds before the previously mentioned collaborations and fanfare around the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road tour gave him a nice credibility boost again.

100% this.

3 hours ago, mouserat said:

Crystal Castles was an odd one. Finished early and Alice Glass really didn't seem ok throughout. Then all the allegations came out soon after and it made the set make a lot more sense. Glad she managed to eventually escape from a deeply sh*tty situation.

Gonna be honest having seen Crystal castles a few times that performance was entirely normal for them while I can see it being quite shocking if you had not seen them before. 

They did actually come back on stage at Glastonbury and finish the set after a "safety break" I think a fair few had left at that point.

Alice Glass was renowned for strange on stage behaviour and often existing on a cocktail of drugs.  It was almost like a weird quirk of the band people use to tell others go and see Crystal Castles the singer is absolutely wild and unpredictable. 

Sadly now it does seem to have been something quite sinister under the surface if allegations are true, but at the time audience were not to have known.  

Edited by Ben7amin_

4 hours ago, crumbler said:

I'm not convinced Elton has more mass appeal than The Stones tbh. He was considered fairly naff and doing gigs at regional cricket grounds before the previously mentioned collaborations and fanfare around the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road tour gave him a nice credibility boost again.

Id say the Biopic was what boosted his popularity the most!

28 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

There were a whole heap of reasons - and by the time he played as a gigbit was probably a bigger deal than the Stones e.g. the view by many (albeit incorrect that it was his final show) vs the fact that Mick & Keith were due at Hyde Park the following weekend.

It was categorically his last show for people who don’t want to pay about £400 for a solo gig, that carries a lot of weight.

5 minutes ago, foolsgold1981 said:

Can't believe all this discussion about 2013 and nobody has mentioned the absolute wonder that was Portishead on the Friday night.

Watching that Chic set back - it is extraordinary. But I don't regret my decision that night

One of my favourite ever shows

Watching it from home was what convinced me to end my 3 year self imposed exile.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, foolsgold1981 said:

Can't believe all this discussion about 2013 and nobody has mentioned the absolute wonder that was Portishead on the Friday night.

Watching that Chic set back - it is extraordinary. But I don't regret my decision that night

That was amazing. The lasers coming out of David Cameron’s eyes for Machine Gun sticks in my head. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/14/2023 at 5:26 PM, foolsgold1981 said:

Wandering Star

On 12/13/2023 at 2:01 PM, Ben7amin_ said:

Gonna be honest having seen Crystal castles a few times that performance was entirely normal for them while I can see it being quite shocking if you had not seen them before. 

They did actually come back on stage at Glastonbury and finish the set after a "safety break" I think a fair few had left at that point.

Alice Glass was renowned for strange on stage behaviour and often existing on a cocktail of drugs.  It was almost like a weird quirk of the band people use to tell others go and see Crystal Castles the singer is absolutely wild and unpredictable. 

Sadly now it does seem to have been something quite sinister under the surface if allegations are true, but at the time audience were not to have known.  

no way lol. i didnt know she came back out. that was my first ever headliner experience at Glastonbury i was so disappointed. wish id gone to arctics , one of my very few regrets when it comes to headliners. 

So as not to give 'em the clicks:

Glastonbury organisers have been left in chaos after talks with Madonna collapsed after they refused to pay the fee to bring her live show to the festival.

Bosses are now scrambling around to find a replacement for the Sunday night 'legends' slot after learning that her performance would be too costly.

Sources say that Madge, 65, wanted to recreate the show she performs on her current Celebration tour, which would require paying a number of dancers and an expensive set.

The star does 'not to come cheap' as one of the world's most loved divas but Emily Eavis, who runs the Worth Farm music extravaganza, was understood to be really keen to sign her up after watching her concert earlier this year.

A Glastonbury source told The Mail on Sunday: 'To be honest it's been a real blow not being able to nail down a deal with Madonna.

Bosses are now scrambling around to find a replacement for the Sunday night 'legends' slot which is usually performed on the main Pyramid Stage (pictured)

Obviously caveat emptor given that they don't even know what the Legend Slot is.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

So as not to give 'em the clicks:

Glastonbury organisers have been left in chaos after talks with Madonna collapsed after they refused to pay the fee to bring her live show to the festival.

Bosses are now scrambling around to find a replacement for the Sunday night 'legends' slot after learning that her performance would be too costly.

Sources say that Madge, 65, wanted to recreate the show she performs on her current Celebration tour, which would require paying a number of dancers and an expensive set.

The star does 'not to come cheap' as one of the world's most loved divas but Emily Eavis, who runs the Worth Farm music extravaganza, was understood to be really keen to sign her up after watching her concert earlier this year.

A Glastonbury source told The Mail on Sunday: 'To be honest it's been a real blow not being able to nail down a deal with Madonna.

Bosses are now scrambling around to find a replacement for the Sunday night 'legends' slot which is usually performed on the main Pyramid Stage (pictured)

Obviously caveat emptor given that they don't even know what the Legend Slot is.

I refer you to their previous attempt at Legend Slot predictions:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-12791653/Girls-Aloud-play-Glastonbury-honour-Sarah-Harding.html

Quite possibly from the same "source".

To no great surprise, 4 days after this article was published, they added a second Liverpool show ruling them out.

Sounds to me that Madonna doesn't get the Glastonbury spirit if she's not willing to play for the usual fee! 

f**k her, I say.

They should get someone to headline that understands what the festival is all about and just isn't motivated by money.  Someone like Lekkido Lord Of The Lobsters.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

To be honest the reasoning doesn't surprise me. I had wondered how she'd made a headline set work when the focus is on the show she is touring with minimal time to really prep a different show entirely.

The reasoning makes sense, and I've previously said I've got my doubts over whether she'll play, but I don't buy that it's suddenly fallen through late in the game for that particular reason.

Core things like the fee and what level of production would be possible (and who paid for what) would have been part of the initial conversations - if not the first one, then the second one.

Basically - If she's pulled out recently, then it's for a different reason. If the reasons they gave apply, then the conversations never would have got past the first few days and so she was out a while ago.

Edited by incident
  • Upvote 1