2024 Headliners

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

This is in the same vein as your weather posts, isn’t it?

Nope. 

Its just that in human history, no one has ever taken a very choreographed and complicated show like this which can only be performed indoors, played 80 gigs around the world, and then adapted it significantly for an outdoor setting in front of 10 million people 2 months later. 

16 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Nope. 

Its just that in human history, no one has ever taken a very choreographed and complicated show like this which can only be performed indoors, played 80 gigs around the world, and then adapted it significantly for an outdoor setting in front of 10 million people 2 months later. 

Janet Jackson's Pyramid set was her indoor show - not on the same scale but it can be done and folks are dead clever nowadays in shrinking things to fit.

If Madge wants to do it she will do it and the show itself will be no problem to adapt.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Nope. 

Admittedly the show was different but U2 played glasto in the middle of a tour and their show is very linked to the set design.  

Billie eilish did as well. 

I get that they weren't being swung overhead in a massive square but a different modified show isn't impossible 

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Janet Jackson's Pyramid set was her indoor show - not on the same scale but it can be done and folks are dead clever nowadays in shrinking things to fit.

If Madge wants to do it she will do it and the show itself will be no problem to adapt.

It was also shite so I don't think we should use that as a case study. 

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Aye - but that's different to trying to prove its a bad booking by digging up YouTube clips.

That just feels like an annual tradition now. Macca at the Olympics, Dill Danding, Axl at Lisa Marie's funeral etc. 

It’s a monstrous booking and even if she honks her way through it like an asthmatic duck that will always be the case.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Course. I was similar with Elto last year. Not for me, guv, but one heck of a booking for Mick E.

Incredible how far they’ve come on that score. The idea of Madge (or Elton) doing Glastonbury would have been laughable 15 years ago

4 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Incredible how far they’ve come on that score. The idea of Madge (or Elton) doing Glastonbury would have been laughable 15 years ago

Jay Z - One of the world's best-selling music artists with 140 million records sold, Jay-Z has won 24 Grammy Awards, the tenth-most of all time and most awarded for any hip hop artist jointly with Kanye West. He has been awarded the NAACP's President's Award, a Primetime Emmy Award, a Sports Emmy Award, and been nominated for a Tony Award. Ranked by Billboard and Rolling Stone as one of the 100 greatest artists of all time, Jay-Z was the first rapper to be inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame and the first solo living rapper inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Time named him one of the 100 most influential people in the world in 2013.

5 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Jay Z - One of the world's best-selling music artists with 140 million records sold, Jay-Z has won 24 Grammy Awards, the tenth-most of all time and most awarded for any hip hop artist jointly with Kanye West. He has been awarded the NAACP's President's Award, a Primetime Emmy Award, a Sports Emmy Award, and been nominated for a Tony Award. Ranked by Billboard and Rolling Stone as one of the 100 greatest artists of all time, Jay-Z was the first rapper to be inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame and the first solo living rapper inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Time named him one of the 100 most influential people in the world in 2013.

Well yes. Thats where it started to change. That came right out of left field, caused huge controversy and still had literally nobody going ‘they’ll get Madonna next year now’

14 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

That just feels like an annual tradition now. Macca at the Olympics, Dill Danding, Axl at Lisa Marie's funeral etc. 

It’s a monstrous booking and even if she honks her way through it like an asthmatic duck that will always be the case.

Nothing to add other than this made me laugh far too much 😄 

2 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

2 hours ago, stuie said:

It was also shite so I don't think we should use that as a case study. 

You beat me too it. The barometer by which what not to do should be set.

2 hours ago, Skip997 said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_Ufve7VwwlcZ1UW2bT8R

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_Ufve7VwwlcZ1UW2bT8R

Not happy with that?

Let's try Bowie 2000, a bigger star than Madge or EJ

Stevie Wonder 2010

Bob Dylan 1998

Bruce Springsteen 2009 (dull as dishwater but still a huge star)

Edited by Skip997

38 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Not happy with that?

Stevie Wonder 2010

Bob Dylan 1998

Bowie was a low ebb commercially in 2000. Springsteen was always more likely than the others because guitars and his politics. Both he and Stevie are after Jay Z. The actual best comparison would be Kylie in 2005 but she’s always been more U.K.-centric than Madonna and isn’t as big.

If you genuinely think Madonna was considered a likely booking back in 2007 or 2008 all I can say is….OK. If you don't think there’s been a change in the stature and type of headliners Glastonbury has been attracting in the last 15 years again, OK.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

Well yes. Thats where it started to change. That came right out of left field, caused huge controversy and still had literally nobody going ‘they’ll get Madonna next year now’

1992- Shakespear's sister headlined. 

Female pop duo.

I know they were a flash in the pan musically. 1 massive single. 

But pop acts had headlined way before Kylie was due to headline.

31 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

That’s just proving the point that Glastonbury attracts much better headliners these days. It’s literally gone from Shakespeare Sister to the biggest artists on the planet. 

52 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Female pop duo.

I know they were a flash in the pan musically. 1 massive single. 

But pop acts had headlined way before Kylie was due to headline.

Kind of proves the point I was making about the stature though, right? 

15 hours ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Admittedly the show was different but U2 played glasto in the middle of a tour and their show is very linked to the set design.  

Billie eilish did as well. 

I get that they weren't being swung overhead in a massive square but a different modified show isn't impossible 

U2 and Billie didn't have 25 people on stage.

Looking at her scheule, when does she find the time to modify this show?

32 minutes ago, The Nal said:

U2 and Billie didn't have 25 people on stage.

Looking at her scheule, when does she find the time to modify this show?

It's not her that modifies it....?

She's paying choreographers, lighting designers, etc. Stuart Price is in charge of the music.

She'll need to sign off on it, sure, but that doesn't need a break in the tour. 

Then, assuming it's a modified version of the current show rather than something 100% new, the timing still stacks up.

But let's see if BST gets announced...

• Upvote 2

That vogue clip is so badly recorded, you’re missing most of the music and backing.. it sounds a million times better live. Proves she’s singing live though! 
It’s a great show in person, the choreography and lighting is great, the performance impressive, her vocals sound very much live and beautiful. People will still pick her apart because she’s 65 and needs to take it a little bit easier these days but she still delivers a classic madonna performance that’s well worth seeing.  It’s always been about the production with Madonna rather than her vocals being lady gaga level perfection. (I love Gaga too).

13 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

You beat me too it. The barometer by which what not to do should be set.

To be fair the discussion was about whether an indoor set could be used outdoors and made to work not whether a previous act was good or not................................. but there is no disagreement that JJ was possibly the worst thing I have ever seen on the Pyramid Stage or indeed at GF as a whole.

11 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

Kind of proves the point I was making about the stature though, right? 

I think your point is largely correct, but Bowie in 2000 and Macca in 2004 were equally important. I'd say the latter more so than Jay-Z showed the kind of stature of act that Glastonbury could and should have playing.

13 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Not happy with that?

Stevie Wonder 2010

Bob Dylan 1998

Bob Dylan didn't headline. Played mid afternoon and played a different slot to advertised, they swapped his and Sonic Youth's set around. Was really boring too, I only lasted 3 songs.

Edited by Johnnyseven