2024 Headliners

Just now, stuie said:

People should let Glastonbury be what it wants to be rather than tell it what it should be. 

I don't mean this to sound rude, but if it's not ticking your boxes then you should go elsewhere.

Oh thats what I did during McCartney and Elton and had a great time elsewhere.

But I don't like this increasing indulgence of over the hill stars on the Pyramid. The festival needs to be more contemporary and edgy than this. 

Glastonbury *should* provide a balance.  Hence complaints about last year 's line-up looking a little worse for wear after Rihanna absconded from it. 

A Pyramid Headline trio of Jungkook, Troye Sivan and Latto would be of the moment and whatever the opposite of Over The Hill is, but it would still go down like a lead balloon with the vast majority of people actually planning to go.

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

People should let Glastonbury be what it wants to be rather than tell it what it should be. 

I don't mean this to sound rude, but if it's not ticking your boxes then you should go elsewhere.

Dude come on, you always make well reasoned points which I value even if I don't always agree. Don't resort to being 'that guy', you're better than that!

Everybody has the right to their opinion and every year we have similar circular discussions. And ultimately, we all know that the headliners are only a small part of Glastonbury, so disliking them doesn't mean you should look somewhere else.

I’ve never listened to anything on Spotify. I therefore feel somewhat disenfranchised from this discussion.  Furthermore, if this thread is to be believed, any future Glastonbury Pyramid headliners will never be selected (or considered) taking my music tastes into account. It’s all about the yoof.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Tranquility of Solitude said:

I’ve never listened to anything on Spotify. I therefore feel somewhat disenfranchised from this discussion.  Furthermore, if this thread is to be believed, any future Glastonbury Pyramid headliners will never be selected (or considered) taking my music tastes into account. It’s all about the yoof.

Do you only listen to old music?

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Glastonbury *should* provide a balance.  Hence complaints about last year 's line-up looking a little worse for wear after Rihanna absconded from it. 

A Pyramid Headline trio of Jungkook, Troye Sivan and Latto would be of the moment and whatever the opposite of Over The Hill is, but it would still go down like a lead balloon with the vast majority of people actually planning to go.

and despite the comments and the ultra knowledge of people on here , the festival shifts the tickets because of the BBC coverage of the massive acts . Madonna will pack the pyramid .... she might have a touch smaller numbers than Elton , Macca and the stones but will be top 4 headliner attendance wise since the superfence , the festival age skews older anyway and the Pyramid has had some superb sets from older artists of late 

2 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

But I don't like this increasing indulgence of over the hill stars on the Pyramid. The festival needs to be more contemporary and edgy than this. 

I don't think it's an increasing indulgence. There's always been an aim (well, certainly for the past 25 years or so) to get the most legendary acts on the Pyramid, whenever they're available, regardless of their output at that time. Bowie in 2000 (arguably past his best but it's widely considered the greatest two hours in the history of the festival), Stevie Wonder in 2010 (a complete joy from start to finish). We could list them out. Sure, there've been a few misses, The Who in 2015 and Rod Stewart in 2002, but most of them have been a triumph. And apart from 2009, they do seem to try and mix the trio up with contemporary acts of that time. If Madonna's available, they're moving heaven and earth to get her. And it will be spectacular. I'm not sure where they go after her, we're running low on options. 

18 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

More of a Deezer geezer?

30 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

And in this case that's a good thing, cos she's finally taken stock and is giving people what they want rather than just trying to flog her latest clunker with Like A Prayer tacked on at the end.

Do the people really want...

Nothing Really Matters
Burning Up
Open Your Heart
Live to Tell
Erotica
Justify My Love
Bad Girl
Human Nature
Crazy For You
Mother and Father
Bedtime Story

I think a lot of the crowd would realise they don't know as many Madonna songs as they thought they did (and I've been kind on a few other songs she's been playing recently)

She could of course change it up and include more songs to appease casuals that she hasn't on the rest of the tour, but that doesn't seem her style

Obviously not all headliners have a complete back catalogue that every festival-goer knows, but I think with the current set there would be quite a few people scratching their heads at just how many not-so-ubiquitous songs she has

There could definitely be something to be said for Emily wanting to book artists that she really bloody likes, too. Ok obviously the money and the availability has to also add up, but im sure her own preferences have been involved - she promoted the Kings of Leon in 08, mentioned that she really wanted Guns n Roses, and thankfully seems to hate Barlow and Take That (yes! get in there EE) cos they've never appeared despite being absolutely perfect Radio 2 afternoon pyramid nonsense. So if she really loves Madonna then she's going to put her on, even if she doesnt hit the arbitrary Spotify playlist threshold 

27 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

Dude come on, you always make well reasoned points which I value even if I don't always agree. Don't resort to being 'that guy', you're better than that!

Everybody has the right to their opinion and every year we have similar circular discussions. And ultimately, we all know that the headliners are only a small part of Glastonbury, so disliking them doesn't mean you should look somewhere else.

Fair enough, I'll take that but my point wasn't about not liking a headliner as such, more stating that Glasto wasn't the place for ageing acts like Madonna, Macca, Elton etc. Even if you don't like them, they are massive scoops for the festival. 

Also, I said if the festival (not just the headliners) isn't ticking your boxes.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, homesick said:

Do the people really want...

Nothing Really Matters
Burning Up
Open Your Heart
Live to Tell
Erotica
Justify My Love
Bad Girl
Human Nature
Crazy For You
Mother and Father
Bedtime Story

I think a lot of the crowd would realise they don't know as many Madonna songs as they thought they did (and I've been kind on a few other songs she's been playing recently)

She could of course change it up and include more songs to appease casuals that she hasn't on the rest of the tour, but that doesn't seem her style

Obviously not all headliners have a complete back catalogue that every festival-goer knows, but I think with the current set there would be quite a few people scratching their heads at just how many not-so-ubiquitous songs she has

Live to Tell, Justify my Love and Crazy for you are all big hits from from her imperial phase, I'd have said.

2 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Live to Tell, Justify my Love and Crazy for you are all big hits from from her imperial phase, I'd have said.

The current version of "Live To Tell" is a standout. A paean to heroes lost to HIV.

Edited by Wooderson

2 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Maybe, I'm not convinced how many of the crowd would know them, especially the younger demographics

Of course if she trimmed the fat and added:

Like a Virgin
Papa Don't Preach
4 Minutes
Music
Material Girl
Express Yourself

the things look a lot better

If it were down to me, I'd take O'Rod over Madonna in a heartbeat. One's the future, the other one firmly the past.

But, it doesn't matter a single, solitary f**k what I think, Glastonbury is not (and never has been) some kind of democracy. It's a benign dictatorship. And like @stuiesays, if you're not comfortable with that, or with the direction the festival is taking, it's maybe time to move on. This is completely where I am at the moment, but I don't blame GFL for doing what they're doing (OK, maybe I do a little bit). Personally, I think the huge names and the concentration of everybody at the Pyramid to see a huge name is to the detriment of the festival as a whole, but like I say, lets not pretend what you or I can affect that, or that it's going to change in the foreseeable. 

Just now, homesick said:

Maybe, I'm not convinced how many of the crowd would know them, especially the younger demographics

Of course if she trimmed the fat and added:

Like a Virgin
Papa Don't Preach
4 Minutes
Music
Material Girl
Express Yourself

the things look a lot better

There’s definitely room for adjustment if we’re going for banger after banger, but this being Madonna I’m sure it took a lot to even convince her a career defining show was a good idea so it’s not too surprising that she’s left out a lot of classics in favour of some slightly lesser known older stuff. Wonder if things will change up at all for the stadium leg of the tour. 

4 minutes ago, Mardy said:

If it were down to me, I'd take O'Rod over Madonna in a heartbeat. One's the future, the other one firmly the past.

But, it doesn't matter a single, solitary f**k what I think, Glastonbury is not (and never has been) some kind of democracy. It's a benign dictatorship. And like @stuiesays, if you're not comfortable with that, or with the direction the festival is taking, it's maybe time to move on. This is completely where I am at the moment, but I don't blame GFL for doing what they're doing (OK, maybe I do a little bit). Personally, I think the huge names and the concentration of everybody at the Pyramid to see a huge name is to the detriment of the festival as a whole, but like I say, lets not pretend what you or I can affect that, or that it's going to change in the foreseeable. 

Indeed what's the point saying your 100+ stages if they are all empty because everyone is at the pyramid ticking a box and watching an artist well past their best?

They need to spend less on the pyramid and more elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, Colorblindjames said:

Rihanna would be a step up from Madonna IMO. Considering she hasn't played much in the last few years it would be quite a scoop for the festival. 

The festival needs to get away from putting old timers in the headline slots. Thats what the legend slot and Hyde park are for. 

Thats not gonna happen until they run out of old timers which is something Ive been on about for a hot minute. Cause the argument is just about what the fest is going to do when they have nobody over the age of 70 to headline and they have to dip into a pool of just current artists. Theyre going to find that their trios will be like alot of other fests when that time comes and you just have to make the undercard very interesting for people. In the end the fest is still going to sell out so why should they be worried. They can program how they want without consequence. But they have this fear that they have to cater to the lawn chair crowd for some reason.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stuie said:

Fair enough, I'll take that but my point wasn't about not liking a headliner as such, more stating that Glasto wasn't the place for ageing acts like Madonna, Macca, Elton etc. Even if you don't like them, they are massive scoops for the festival. 

Also, I said if the festival (not just the headliners) isn't ticking your boxes.

I completely agree, for what its worth! They're all massive artists in their own right. Just not my bag so I'll probably be at Other or the Park! 

I get Madonna and Dua, I just don't get Coldplay, it feels like the bookers have basically phoned it in with that one. They've had plenty of goes at it and they haven't released anything good for what must now be 20 years. They've secured Madonna, the big BBC audience is safe, so give somebody else a go.