2024 Headliners

I went to the Madonna opening night. Madge was great. Bouncing back from a very serious illness I'm not sure she could have done much more. Madonna looked great and more importantly sounded great, singing the songs comfortably within in range and not overextending herself. It was a shame about the lack of live band, I thought it took some punch out of the sound. Madge was a bucket list artist for me, one of the few I had not yet seen, I did not leave the room disappointed at all.

Put that show on the Pyramid and people will go flipping nuts! Not to mention a whole week's worth of cosplay opportunities.

#TeamMadge

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Neil said:

...or that an Emily Instagram isn't a booking 

Quick scan of the press this morning tells me that a lot of people don't agree with this. 

It's a massive clue and raises the chances of Madge on the farm somewhat, in my opinion.

There’s been some weird briefing to the press about Dua doing either Coachella or Glastonbury but not both - weird because there are plenty of acts who’ve done both in the same year, and neither festival usually tries to keep acts exclusive from each other. My first thought was that it was some kind of negotiating tactic to get more money from Coachella in exchange for exclusivity that they don’t typically care about anyway… if that were the case, maybe Dua won’t be one of the three after all?

15 hours ago, northernangel said:

If they add Coldplay to that too, they've got some coup there. As a 3, I only think booking Blur over Dua Lipa could potentially make that the most solid 3 they might have ever booked. I'm not expecting that at all though.

While I don't think Dua Lipa is as big as people make out, those 3 are undoubtedly a huge get.

Dua Lipa is absolutely massive at the moment, releasing hit after hit

Blur's new album was fine but clearly not an instant classic.

They aren't a current exciting name anymore and Depeche Mode / Madonna / Blur would be a very old trio on average

Just now, Drinky said:

There’s been some weird briefing to the press about Dua doing either Coachella or Glastonbury but not both - weird because there are plenty of acts who’ve done both in the same year, and neither festival usually tries to keep acts exclusive from each other. My first thought was that it was some kind of negotiating tactic to get more money from Coachella in exchange for exclusivity that they don’t typically care about anyway… if that were the case, maybe Dua won’t be one of the three after all?

source? sounds a bit wishy washy to me

1 minute ago, gfa said:

source? sounds a bit wishy washy to me

The Mail, Mirror and Sun all ran very similar stories (that are now syndicated worldwide) that there was a ‘battle’ and ‘bidding war’ between Coachella and Glastonbury for Dua.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/glastonbury-coachellas-battle-sign-huge-31131399.amp for example.

That kind of story will have come from someone on Dua’s side, and they surely know that Glastonbury doesn’t get into bidding wars (especially not against the deep pockets of Goldenvoice), so it’s an odd kind of story to put out… unless the plan is to swerve Glastonbury for bigger money at Coachella

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Drinky said:

The Mail, Mirror and Sun all ran very similar stories (that are now syndicated worldwide) that there was a ‘battle’ and ‘bidding war’ between Coachella and Glastonbury for Dua.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/glastonbury-coachellas-battle-sign-huge-31131399.amp for example.

That kind of story will have come from someone on Dua’s side, and they surely know that Glastonbury doesn’t get into bidding wars (especially not against the deep pockets of Goldenvoice), so it’s an odd kind of story to put out… unless the plan is to swerve Glastonbury for bigger money at Coachella

I feel like it just means that festivals that do actually spend ££ are trying to all get her

e.g. could be a bidding war between say RW and Pukkelpop or something - or like Lollapalooza and Coachella etc

Interesting i guess but not convinced it matters much

44 minutes ago, stuie said:

Quick scan of the press this morning tells me that a lot of people don't agree with this. 

It's a massive clue and raises the chances of Madge on the farm somewhat, in my opinion.

I don't think Emily being there means anything to be honest.

She's one of the most influential women in the industry, it's hardly a shock she'd be at the opening night of one of the biggest tours this year.

14 hours ago, Earth_pig said:

I get what you mean about Emily liking a gig possibly being nothing, just this close to ticket time and her not posting much normally despite probably going to loads of gigs could be a 'ray of light'.

Many people are advising not to over analyse the Instagram post too much. From what I can see, Emily has only shared a grid post about attending a (non Glastonbury) concert once before, and that was when she went to see Coldplay. As we all know, Coldplay have never performed at Glastonbury, so there's no clear link between Emily's Instagram posts about going to a concert and the possibility of that artist performing at the festival.

Edited by ProperTea

12 minutes ago, ProperTea said:

Many people are advising not to over analyse the Instagram post too much. From what I can see, Emily has only shared a grid post about attending a (non Glastonbury) concert once before, and that was when she went to see Coldplay. As we all know, Coldplay have never performed at Glastonbury, so there's no clear link between Emily's Instagram posts about going to a concert and the possibility of that artist performing at the festival.

This, combined with the churnups twitter post last year is enough for me to conclude Madonna is locked in. 

3 minutes ago, fullfathom5 said:

Liam & Bonehead's Definitely Maybe tour finishes on 27th June, do we think they could headline The Other? He's big enough for the Pyramid, but not sure that'd happen.

Definitely too big for the Other, at best you'll get a Woodsies secret or Churnups style slot. Can't see him doing a formal set.

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Liam wont play the Other after the shambles of 2017. Was close enough in 2019 but seems he had a huge crowd on the Pyramid too.

He sold out a couple of nights at Knebworth last year, he's headliner size these days, especially if he's doing DM.

Still think he's secret/unannounced or, more likely, nothing.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

He sold out a couple of nights at Knebworth last year, he's headliner size these days, especially if he's doing DM.

Still think he's secret/unannounced or, more likely, nothing.

i've got a useful Liam contact. will try to get some info there.

• Upvote 1