2024 Headliners

5 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

It's pretty much Emilys baby now isn't it ? who's left that Michael wants ? 

based on what happened last year, i'd say roxy music (i didn't explicitly know he was a roxy fan), but i know that Brian ferry a few years ago was his doing, so i reckon roxy joins with that.

Edited by Neil

21 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If we assume the woman headliner who's a lock is Dua Lipa- then who are the potential candidates for the other one?

Assuming Rihanna is out of action, as is Gaga. Taylor is a No and O-Rod is still a little early in her career.

So who else could it be other than Madge?

I think O-Rod, Pulp and a rapper style act will sub whichever trio it is. I'm not really into my rapper scene enough to suggest who it could be.

Then I think The Prodigy, The National/Kasabian and The Chemical Brothers will headline Other. 

If they have two female headliners, a female sub and stick Robyn like subbing Other they are catering for all. 

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

and Madonna would be the same ? 

i think most people would rather madonna in her prime to miming madge on her pension tour. same as people seemed to prefer me in my prime to nearly hitting pension age.

Just now, Neil said:

i think most people would rather madonna in her prime to miming madge on her pension tour. same as people seemed to prefer me in my prime to nearly hitting pension age.

yeah true but we don't have that choice so ill be happily singing along ( or miming ) and having an absolute blast ( pending tickets obs ) 

From reading through this thread there’s massive moving of goal posts at times & any dissenting voices or quickly shot down by a vocal few and allows little chance of debate and nuance in this thread compared to other forums discussing other topics. 

there is a fair amount of contradiction at times also. 

Those talking about the efestivals site needing business without negativity would in my opinion be wary of driving people off just because they don’t agree with you also. It’s not just dissenting voices that will drive people away it’s shooting down and not debating like you should on a forum. 

anyway back to topic 

In my opinion the criteria for headliners should be as follows: 

Star Power (is they mainstream known)

back catalogue-(do they have the hits to maintain a crowd for up to 2 hours)

can they perform- credibility wise can they still go

As glastonbury has moved away from being band orientated and more commercial I see the reason for Madonna 

she has the star power and having one of the biggest stars in the world is a massive get for the festival

has the hits 

the negatives are if true is that she doesn’t actually sing which does take a bit of credibility away from her. But the show overall could still work

now let’s say Madonna definitely fills 2 of the categories and could possibly get away with the 3rd due to the overall show. I get the booking if it’s true 

what annoys me is when posters are all for the likes of Madonna as they’d like it to happen but if someone was to say the Spice Girls/take or even further a Britney Spears Christina aguilera  that who cover the same criteria are instantly shot down in disgust. But I would argue whilst they don’t have the longevity of Madonna they meet similar criteria listed above I’d go as far as saying Christina has more credibility because she can actually sing. 

I’ll go further when a pop punk say greenday band is suggested we can it’s not really glastonbury whilst it might not be to those posters tastes they still meet the criteria above. 

madonna is a legend and she should be booked in my opinion as it fits the biggest acts and that’s what Emily will want broadcasting around the world a massive singalong like with Elton.  but I totally understand the dissenting voices she’s not really my thing but I get it.  

Just a reminder that we've been here before, in terms of Emily liking or following Madonna content on social media. It happened several years ago, sparking speculation, with no credible suggestion that she was ever seriously in the frame.

Think we'll need to wait for the next set of dates to be announced before we really know the chances. Personally I think the difference in production needed means that we're probably looking for a slightly bigger gap (especially before the festival) than usual - something like what Elton did, taking a day or two off to rejig the show.

Edited by incident

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If we assume the woman headliner who's a lock is Dua Lipa- then who are the potential candidates for the other one?

Assuming Rihanna is out of action, as is Gaga. Taylor is a No and O-Rod is still a little early in her career.

So who else could it be other than Madge?

Why is Rihanna a no no? Thought she was in the mix. 

If Madonna isn’t happening next year then she isn’t gonna happen at all imo, which is why I’m semi confident that it is happening as I think the stars have finally aligned after Emily has obviously pursued her for some time.

If we didn’t have that two female headliners tidbit then I’d be a lot less confident, but given that we do I just think Madonna makes heaps of sense. Need more tour dates to put her in the right place and right time, but none of the other suggestions other than Dua being the other female act really add up to me. Here’s hoping. 

13 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Madonna would be huge, what is she like live these days?..

Is there anything in the bookies having Coldplay odds on? Or is it just pure guesswork on their part?

Coldplay were suggested to in a newspaper article a few months ago. I guess their manager troubles might make them a bit less likely for the moment.

19 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Is there anything in the bookies having Coldplay odds on? Or is it just pure guesswork on their part?

Everything, so far, is a combination of circumstantial evidence and guesswork. Some of it being stronger than others - Dua Lipa being the clear favourite at this point, probably Coldplay and Madonna next.

Don't think any of those can be considered 100% though. I'd say Dua about 80%, Coldplay and Madonna each somewhere around 50%.

Truth is - if anyone was all but nailed on, then no bookies would be offering odds on them for long - as we've seen in the past.

Edited by incident