2024 Headliners

On 9/27/2023 at 9:47 AM, Gnomicide said:

"The 1975’s Matty Healy announces “indefinite hiatus” from shows after current tour ends"

5acd24605df3e_giphy(3).gif.5e4aab8740c77563ef55fa4b3e8dd7cf.gif

Lol this tickled me, surely most bands go on an "indefinite hiatus" at the end of tour, unless I've misunderstood the two words. Just means they don't know for how long right? (Doesn't mean I think they will headline next year).

1 hour ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Lol this tickled me, surely most bands go on an "indefinite hiatus" at the end of tour, unless I've misunderstood the two words. Just means they don't know for how long right? (Doesn't mean I think they will headline next year).

It's fairly rare that any will announce it in those terms though, if they're just going on holiday and/or into the studio for a few months. Usually if someone goes out of their way to say something like that, it means they're not expecting to be active for a year or more.

The word 'hiatus' has such negative connotations, and fans of an artist freak out because they think it means they're splitting. When bands go on "hiatus" all the time which is usually just a few years out. Manics have been on a few hiatuses before for example, same with Radiohead.

• Upvote 1

On 9/26/2023 at 3:24 PM, northernangel said:

That might be the case but god it was stacked! Arctics, Coldplay, Foo Fighters. Plan B at his peak, Beyonce, Pulp, My Chemical Romance playing 3rd down while headlining Reading and The Strokes subbing second stage while also headlining Reading.

That flow of Foos > Pulp > MCR > Weezer > Blondie sounds particularly great tbf. Plus Brandon Flowers' solo project and The Vaccines on the King Tut's stage.

Strokes subbing Swedish House Mafia on the second stage in the same year they were Reading headliners is pretty bananas tbf.

Actually Reading 2011 imo was a very strong line-up. I only went for Muse day, but there's a lot on the first two days I have since paid to see on their own shows.

14 minutes ago, charlierc said:

That flow of Foos > Pulp > MCR > Weezer > Blondie sounds particularly great tbf. Plus Brandon Flowers' solo project and The Vaccines on the King Tut's stage.

Strokes subbing Swedish House Mafia on the second stage in the same year they were Reading headliners is pretty bananas tbf.

Actually Reading 2011 imo was a very strong line-up. I only went for Muse day, but there's a lot on the first two days I have since paid to see on their own shows.

I mean Glastonbury had U2, Morrissey, Biffy Clyro. Beyonce, Pendulum, Plan B...so got him 3rd over TITPs sub which was a great top 3 and at the time when Pendulum were working their way up so didn't look out of place in gbe daylight as much as now. The difference maker is Coldplay then Elow and Nutini stinking the place put in 2nd and 3rd while Beyonce was that sub up north. 

As for Reading, early Muse was great but after The View, I went and saw some Nirvana in the Fest Republic and saw Ed Sheeran when really just getting going as the day was dead for me. The Strokes day overall was good on paper without The National....not for me. I wasn't a big MCR fan then or 30STM but saw both, The Offspring I was and Riss Against I was into and that's that day lol, NME was going way down hill by that point for me. Only really decided to go when Pulp announced.

Back then, even Glastonbury JP Sunday had Everything Everything, The Vaccines, Hurts and Robyn in a run which at the time I was into. The Coral overlapping with Morrissey was my big clash also that year but had to choose Morrissey who I thought was brilliant and at a time when he still covered Smith songs haha. Biffy Clyros set was great too and that top 3 is potentially my favourite top 3 Glastonbury run or very in the mix. 2017 with Barry Gibb, Chic, Biffy Clyro and Ed Sheeran who I was more into then should have been better but he just got it all a bit wrong and it wasn't right for him. Personally I think Ed does better with a middle stage from what I've seen an a crowd around him and he'd have pulled it off much better had he been the sub so expectation was lower and Biffy headlined which at that point that had fhe catalogue to do. I also think Biffy Clyro and Glastonbury didn't align for their headline slot as Glastonbury very much liked to get headliners on their first album year and with Opposites out in January 13, it was way too early to bring them back two years later after also playing 07, 08 and 10. Had they released that album a year later in 2014, I think Arcade Fire, then one of Kasabian or Metallica.....probably the latter wouldn't have been given it. Kasabian were ace that year and a trio of AF, Biffy Clyro and Kasabian would have been special. I don't think Elipsis did them much favours as bar Animal Style which probably just got then their sub, it's heavily forgettable. And two studio albums coming out one year following the other probably tells you longterm how the first went. On a last point as for sone reason this is an essay on a reflective morning lol, Opposites was the double album that would have made a superb take the best into a single album but that their one last shot. Biffys albums are one of very few that except for maybe Puzzle/Only Revolutions rotating although sales are very close I think, it's about spot on.

4 hours ago, charlierc said:

21st/22nd are the dates at the When We Were Young festival in Vegas. The date in the calendar circled in the video is October 24th, however. So I guess we'll see what that is.

Probably some tourdates. As far as i know they are not working on new songs...