2024 Headliners

On 8/17/2023 at 8:00 PM, Suprefan said:

Look at the thing the Eavii def couldnt afford.

there's not enough money in the world to make that happen, dammit, is the only act that would have me wanting to go again, i've firmly decided i'm out.

On 8/18/2023 at 10:30 AM, Gnomicide said:

Dua looks the most likely but she's played the festival before and Emily said the two female acts she was lining up were debutante. Maybe she just wasn't aware she had played before or meant first time headliners? The latter seems a stretch.

Just from following festivals for ages, first time headliners usually means first time headlining. The press interprets it as you have, but it rarely ever means the first time at the festival unless it’s specifically stated that way.

Edited by Matt42

1 hour ago, Euphoricape said:

Although I'm no fan myself, Central Cee is currently massive with the youth. My son and his mates are obsessed with him and he's recently had a number 1 single I believe. On an upward trajectory and a homegrown talent, I think he will be a contender.

Third from top at Reading if using the old format, subbing Killers on the MSW, so... there is potential there, but whether it's enough to be a PS headliner, probably not just yet. Maybe got the stuff in play for a decent spot but I wouldn't say that's yet enough.

He'll headline R+L either next year or the year after I reckon. Not too sure if Glasto would go him really, but it's not impossible to imagine. Definitely think Dave will be the next British hip hop headliner, anyway.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

19 hours ago, Matt42 said:

lol this is hilarious. Rihanna is never on standby. She’s either the first choice or not at all.

So did she change her name to Taylor Swift then or was she their option because they couldn't get Taylor. If they went for Rihanna and this year they ended up with Dua Lipa and Madonna doing it....clearly she comes before any of them, then Rihanna still want first choice. But I don't think anyone here actually thinks Rihanna is going to do it over Dua Lipa. Rihanna's last tour bombed.

12 hours ago, Superscally said:

Yep. Downvoting someone calling someone an idiot. 

Just superscally being superscally. 😉

When did I call you an idiot?, you weren't the person running the forum before.

15 hours ago, Euphoricape said:

Although I'm no fan myself, Central Cee is currently massive with the youth. My son and his mates are obsessed with him and he's recently had a number 1 single I believe. On an upward trajectory and a homegrown talent, I think he will be a contender.

He's a joke act in my books, never getting to the top spot at Glasto

4 hours ago, northernangel said:

I didn't say you did. You called Neil an idiot. I disagreed and thought you were out of order just randomly calling someone out like that. Hence a downvote. That's as plum a downvote as you can get. Not calling you an idiot or anything, I just disagreed with your point and the way you made it.

Edited by Superscally

11 minutes ago, Superscally said:

I didn't say you did. You called @eFestivals an idiot. I disagreed and thought you were out of order just randomly calling someone out like that. Hence a downvote. That's as plum a downvote as you can get. Not calling you an idiot or anything, I just disagreed with your point and the way you made it.

eFestivals account is now the new owner, so there's no point tagging him and whipping up a storm.

21 hours ago, northernangel said:

So did she change her name to Taylor Swift then or was she their option because they couldn't get Taylor. If they went for Rihanna and this year they ended up with Dua Lipa and Madonna doing it....clearly she comes before any of them, then Rihanna still want first choice. But I don't think anyone here actually thinks Rihanna is going to do it over Dua Lipa. Rihanna's last tour bombed.

And funny enough there were a bunch of people who thought Taylors uk tour next year would have loads of cheap rickets to be had and that never will materialize. Never underestimate the power of a break. Or even that Rihanna has 14 number 1's which is a lot more than Coldplay could ever dream of.

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

And funny enough there were a bunch of people who thought Taylors uk tour next year would have loads of cheap rickets to be had and that never will materialize. Never underestimate the power of a break. Or even that Rihanna has 14 number 1's which is a lot more than Coldplay could ever dream of.

It's interesting to compare the two.

Coldplay have released 9 studio albums and every single one has reached number one in the UK.

Rihanna has released 8 studio albums and only half of them got to the top of the chart.

Rihanna has released 52 singles. Of those, only 6 reached number one in the UK.

Coldplay have released 40 singles, but only 2 have reached number one.

So to recap, Rihanna has achieved a total of 10 number ones in the UK (4 albums, 6 singles).

Coldplay have achieved a total of 11 number ones (9 albums, 2 singles).

How either performed in the States isn't relevant, but if you did want to play that game, you might be interested to know that Coldplay have had 4 number one albums in the USA. That's double the number of Rihanna's.

Edited by kalifire

5 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Coldplay have released 9 studio albums and every single one has reached number one in the UK.

Rihanna has released 8 studio albums and only half of them got to the top of the chart.

Rihanna has appeared on 52 singles (including those she featured on). Of those, only 6 reached number one in the UK.

So to recap, Rihanna has achieved a total of 10 number ones in the UK (4 albums, 6 singles).

How either performed in the States isn't relevant, but if you did want to play that game, you might be interested to know that Coldplay have had 4 number one albums in the USA. That's double the number of Rihanna's.

Rihanna has also sold 250 million albums worldwide making her the second best selling female artist of all time, and the seventh best selling act ever. Coldplay have sold 100 million. 

Rihanna has 31 top 10 singles in the UK. Coldplay have 19. 

20 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Rihanna has also sold 250 million albums worldwide making her the second best selling female artist of all time, and the seventh best selling act ever. Coldplay have sold 100 million.

Supre's comment was about number ones, not sales. I'm not arguing the fact that Rihanna wipes the floor with just about anybody when it comes to worldwide sales.

20 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Rihanna has 31 top 10 singles in the UK. Coldplay have 19. 

But 9 of those weren't really her singles, they were songs by another artist that she featured on. She's had 22 top ten singles of her own that can be fairly compared to Coldplay's 19, but that means just 42% of her own singles have reached the top ten, compared to 47% of Coldplay's. </pedantic>

Edited by kalifire

3 minutes ago, kalifire said:

But 9 of those weren't really her singles, they were songs by another artist that she featured on. She's had 22 top ten singles of her own that can fairly be compared to Coldplay's 19, but that means just 42% of her own singles have reached the top ten, compared to 47% of Coldplay's. </pedantic>

Whilst true, I’d argue most of those singles were successful because she was ‘featured’ on them as the lead singer. She would also play a lot of them in her set, therefore to the UK public she has more recognisable top 10 hits than Coldplay for a headline set. </pedantic too>

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

52 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Rihanna has released 52 singles. Of those, only 6 reached number one in the UK.

16 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Whilst true, I’d argue most of those singles were successful because she was ‘featured’ on them as the lead singer. She would also play a lot of them in her set, therefore to the UK public she has more recognisable top 10 hits than Coldplay for a headline set. </pedantic too>

Ultimately you can get a number 1 single, you can get a number 1 album and then you can physically sell out stadiums with ease, which only one of these has managed to do. 

Let's talk proper numbers, not I bought a single or I purchased an album for a tenner. £80+ a pop ticket sales. I'm not saying you have to sell as many as Coldplay but to cancel a tour due to sales isn't a good thing and Rihanna returning on anything but an arena tour for her own person dates wouldn't be wise in my opinion. I used to like her as well in her early days

2 minutes ago, northernangel said:

Ultimately you can get a number 1 single, you can get a number 1 album and then you can physically sell out stadiums with ease, which only one of these has managed to do. 

Let's talk proper numbers, not I bought a single or I purchased an album for a tenner. £80+ a pop ticket sales. I'm not saying you have to sell as many as Coldplay but to cancel a tour due to sales isn't a good thing and Rihanna returning on anything but an arena tour for her own person dates wouldn't be wise in my opinion. I used to like her as well in her early days

I can’t wait to hear your excuses when Rihanna does eventually announce (& sells out) a huge world stadium tour.