2024 Headliners

2 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

The festival still uses hundreds of portaloos each year they just aren’t visible inside the festival. 

They are used in the camper fields, car parks, on road junctions where stewards are and also some backstage areas. 

Would also point out that portaloos would only be a small part of the consideration, I assume they were just mentioned as a throwaway example from 2012, the resources needed for the festival that could also potentially be used for a major event like the Euros overlap far more than that. It's not just stadiums (which as pointed out do have much of this as fixed infrastructure), but places like Fan Parks which all host cities and some other places will look to create.

Things like Heras / Other fencing, Trackway, Tents / Stages, Security Staff, even Traders may be tied up for at least a month directly overlapping the festival. That doesn't mean that any of those will become be impossible to get (the Euros isn't *that* big) - just that the prices may go up with demand, or that they may need to go to an untried or second choice supplier.

My guess is that they absolutely *could* run the festival in 2028 alongside the Euros. But given that a fallow year is expected around then anyway, they'll time it to conveniently match. All this assuming the British Isles bid is actually successful of course.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Most folk with farm proximity are earning from it now though, right? And the original generation of folk who didnt like the tone are all now 6 feet under.

If anything there must be a financial incentive from a good chunk of the locals to not take a year off.

It feels like all the local Farmers are profiting (or trying to), but there's still plenty non-farmers in Pilton who might like a quiet year.

When Pilton Parish Council met to discuss the recent licence application earlier this year (or was it late last year?), they made it extremely clear that as far as they were concerned the fallow year was something they felt was a commitment and expected to continue going forward despite not being written into the licence, and I think the Festival gave them indications that would happen.

It's one of the reasons they got upset about (and ultimately, the festival removed from the licence application to avoid hassle) the prospect of Worthy Pastures camping running in fallow years - they felt that a year off should be just that.

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Most folk with farm proximity are earning from it now though, right? And the original generation of folk who didnt like the tone are all now 6 feet under.

If anything there must be a financial incentive from a good chunk of the locals to not take a year off.

the landowners maybe ... but doubt the villagers are tbh .... maybe some from renting homes during festival or use of tickets 

Didn't 2012 become fallow due to all sorts of sh*t not being available. Loos, security fencing, security staff, etc... 

With covid shutting the festival scene and the cost of living crisis since everything reopened I expect they'll want to get a few festivals in to fill the coffers of not just GFL but the people that run the PA etc so they'll still be in business after a year off....

You've only got to look at how many festivals have gone bust or been ccancelled this year to see how fragile the music economy is at the moment.

Hopefully it'll be at least 2026 before the next fallow year.

Edited by Penrhos

2 hours ago, Penrhos said:

Didn't 2012 become fallow due to all sorts of sh*t not being available. Loos, security fencing, security staff, etc... 

With covid shutting the festival scene and the cost of living crisis since everything reopened I expect they'll want to get a few festivals in to fill the coffers of not just GFL but the people that run the PA etc so they'll still be in business after a year off....

You've only got to look at how many festivals have gone bust or been ccancelled this year to see how fragile the music economy is at the moment.

Hopefully it'll be at least 2026 before the next fallow year.

Yes it did. London 2012 took precedence and it was amazing .

Edited by westholtschic

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Seems to be more dates being added to Coldplay tour … nothing that rules them out as yet 

Doesn't Chris Martin basically attend Glastonbury every year? If so, wouldn't put much stock in having a Glastonbury sized gap in the tour.

Quite possibly / hopefully his only appearance will be coming out to sing the Elton part of Cold heart with Dua

16 minutes ago, JonSnow said:

Doesn't Chris Martin basically attend Glastonbury every year? If so, wouldn't put much stock in having a Glastonbury sized gap in the tour.

Yeah. While I wouldn't rule them out, I don't think it can be assumed to have any more significance than the very similar gap in the Metallica tour.

3 hours ago, JonSnow said:

Quite possibly / hopefully his only appearance will be coming out to sing the Elton part of Cold heart with Dua

He seemed to do a cameo with someone or other nearly every year but stopped after people made jokes about it on social media. I'm not sure why that would bother him really.

Edited by addicted2noise

34 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

He seemed to do a cameo with someone or other nearly every year but stopped after people made jokes about it on social media. I'm not sure why that would bother him really.

Mental health is a funny thing … you never really know when it’s going to strike … famous or not the same applies 

5 hours ago, incident said:

Yeah. While I wouldn't rule them out, I don't think it can be assumed to have any more significance than the very similar gap in the Metallica tour.

Metallica have a GSH!?!! I would take that!! Not a unique booking by any means but I have never managed to see them and it would 100% love it in that field.

5 minutes ago, Mark H said:

Metallica have a GSH!?!! I would take that!! Not a unique booking by any means but I have never managed to see them and it would 100% love it in that field.

I enjoyed it last time they played but it did seem rather quiet at the pyramid, which I suppose is not a bad thing if your a fan.

On 7/21/2023 at 9:52 AM, incident said:

What are you on about? The 2026 World Cup is in North America. It doesn't factor into a decision. Nor do the Olympics in 2028.

However the 2028 European Championships are likely to be (mostly) in England. That would significantly impact planning and delivery of the Festival - lots of badged security offered more lucrative (4+ week long) roles elsewhere, lots of temporary structures in use for fan zones etc.

When all of you lot want your lads to bring it home ( lol ) and maybe actually come here to watch the matches? Yeah, its called tourism. Or they just have the festival and then England can play a knock out round match during Taylor Swift on Saturday night and youll have to make a choice on what to watch. So you can cry your eyes out at either event. 

2 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

When all of you lot want your lads to bring it home ( lol ) and maybe actually come here to watch the matches? Yeah, its called tourism. Or they just have the festival and then England can play a knock out round match during Taylor Swift on Saturday night and youll have to make a choice on what to watch. So you can cry your eyes out at either event. 

Still so so strange 

Those extra Coldplay dates are ruling them out of festivals they could have done instead of Glastonbury - no IOW, probably no BST (which they wouldn’t do because of promoter politics anyway iirc), no Latitude…

Looking like the first 2024 lock

1 hour ago, Drinky said:

Those extra Coldplay dates are ruling them out of festivals they could have done instead of Glastonbury - no IOW, probably no BST (which they wouldn’t do because of promoter politics anyway iirc), no Latitude…

Looking like the first 2024 lock

Could the counter theory here be that if they aren’t playing any other festivals the chance of Glastonbury actually reduces as they won’t have a festival specific production?