2024 Headliners

35 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

They also said Pulp were one of the secret sets, that the Spice Girls were in advanced talks and many more that didn't happen. There was a time when you could begrudgingly say they get a lot right but they've now hit the stage of throwing loads of sh*t at the wall and hoping some sticks.

They also got "Foo Fighters for 2016" wrong, and continued to persist with the claims that they were "confirmed" for several months even after it had become apparent that it was definitely not happening.

It doesn't help that they often go back and remove or edit articles where they got it wrong, which retroactively makes their record look better, so the direct evidence for this is now lost to the world - but it's out there having been reported onwards.

10 minutes ago, incident said:

They also got "Foo Fighters for 2016" wrong, and continued to persist with the claims that they were "confirmed" for several months even after it had become apparent that it was definitely not happening.

It doesn't help that they often go back and remove or edit articles where they got it wrong, which retroactively makes their record look better, so the direct evidence for this is now lost to the world - but it's out there having been reported onwards.

Did they have Emimem in "advanced talks" last year or was that a different paper?

Scrap that, found it. They did.

Screenshot_20230721_103701_Chrome.thumb.jpg.028172881147e8d6448b72398f4418df.jpg

Edited by Gnomicide

2 minutes ago, StevieGed said:

Still standing by Coldplay being 2025 and Glastonbury being their last gig for a very long time (and it being marketed that way). Lets them sign off on a 3 year+ tour at the festival and disappear until 2030..

I thought there was talk that 2025 was going to be a Glastonbury fallow year? Or have I got the wrong end of the old stick?

2 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Did they have Emimem in "advanced talks" last year or was that a different paper?

That was them as well.

They claimed it partially on the basis that his tour dates lined up. Which I guess is technically true, given his complete absence of shows anywhere.

3 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I thought there was talk that 2025 was going to be a Glastonbury fallow year? Or have I got the wrong end of the old stick?

Any fallow year date is speculation at the moment.

But realistically - it'll be 2026 at the absolute earliest and it wouldn't be a surprise if it stretched to 2028.

6 minutes ago, charlierc said:

You know what bud I've got no idea. I thought I read it was 2026, but not even sure it's confirmed yet unless someone can double down on when the next fallow is. Just seems like a very Coldplay thing to do as their last show on a 3+ year tour before disappearing for a very, very long period of time. 

If they fall back in line with the pattern (I know!) since 2008, it's 5 years on, one off. So because of the interruption by covid, the fallow year will probably be 2027.

If it wasn't for Covid, next year would be fallow.

5 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

If they fall back in line with the pattern (I know!) since 2008, it's 5 years on, one off. So because of the interruption by covid, the fallow year will probably be 2027.

Though there is arguably a pattern that, aside from a couple of times that were dictated by other factors (2021 with covid, 1991 with the riot), scheduled fallow years have always fallen on even numbered years.

11 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I am sure somewhere sometime the Eavii had said they were considering no longer having fallow years. Not a clue if it was just a throw a way comment or they have got anything down in writing in the license agreement or not.

3 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I am sure somewhere sometime the Eavii had said they were considering no longer having fallow years. Not a clue if it was just a throw a way comment or they have got anything down in writing in the license agreement or not.

A fallow year isn't mandated by the licence, but it was made clear that the locals consider it something of a gentleman's agreement to take a break once in a while. So wouldn't expect it to go away any time soon.

Now that I think about it, I'm going to predict 2028 as that makes by far the most sense:

A 2026 fallow would be 4 years of festival between breaks, which seems too low given the need to recoup the losses from the 2 years missed years due to the pandemic.

2027 would be a year on, and a bit more cash in the bank, but..

A 2028 fallow year would give an another year to rebuild the bank balance, and is likely to coincide with the British Isles hosting Euro 2028 which if it happens will massively drive up the cost of getting various resources in (not least the thousands of security staff who'll be required all over the country). In much the same way as they took a break during the 2012 Olympics and the 1996 Euros.

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

They also said Pulp were one of the secret sets, that the Spice Girls were in advanced talks and many more that didn't happen. There was a time when you could begrudgingly say they get a lot right but they've now hit the stage of throwing loads of sh*t at the wall and hoping some sticks.

They did, everyone is going to get something wrong, been plenty of times people have on here.

But advances talks doesn't mean its happening so they can't be called out on those. Coldplay however I don't see negotiations being that long.

I can't think of anything except for BST and Garorock maybe that happens over that weekend conflicting with Glastonbury. The rest of the European one's fall the weekend later and weekend.

35 minutes ago, StevieGed said:

Still standing by Coldplay being 2025 and Glastonbury being their last gig for a very long time (and it being marketed that way). Lets them sign off on a 3 year+ tour at the festival and disappear until 2030..

Well if you've played every stadium viable in the UK with London being about 7 times, Glastonbury is all that's left that you can, I doubt it.

Glastonbury are known for wanting acts at the start of their album if possible and Chris certainly gets it. Muse was an exception as they played Download first but Download isn't hampering Glastonbury.

1 minute ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I’m reckon they’ll leave the next fallow year as far off as possible, to allow the build up of financial reserves and get on an even keel after the Covid funding challenges. 

That’s correct. With the enforced covid lay offs, inflationary pressures, wage costs  etc the festival needs to recoup losses. They also wanted to do the worthy pastures camping in any fallow year but think that was knocked back. 
as for advanced negotiations with Coldplay, that would be a short and sweet easiest headliner negotiation!  Chris, want to headline? answer yes. 

27 minutes ago, northernangel said:

They did, everyone is going to get something wrong, been plenty of times people have on here.

There's getting stuff wrong and there's making stuff up for clickbait.

Using "talks" seems to be their was of covering their arses. Not just The Sun but lots of others have gone with that line with The Spice Girls over the years, only for Emily to confirm "it is not a conversation we are having."