2024 Headliners

14 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

If they headline next year it'll be the fifth time in 18 festivals.

It's simply too much.

Hardly anyone has been to over 50% of those festivals though. It's an 8 year gap this time which is reasonable. What will be the crossover between those there in 2016 and 2024? <10% i reckon but could be way off 

The optics of booking Coldplay really depends on the other two acts.  If its Dua and Madge then it's reasonable.  If its them, Depeche Mode and The 1975 then it winds up just as unbalanced as this year.

However, no need to worry about the latter scenario if Emily's 'two woman headliners' attempt comes off.

14 hours ago, Superscally said:

I'll focus on the last sentence. They're playing for themselves and anyone who wants to come along for the ride is welcome. Thats the way to longevity as a band, alongside being sensible with their live offering which is exactly what they're doing....

Unfortunately that's not how it works. Their success. wealth and life is down to their fans. To say that,  is like a big F U to their fans who gave them that platform to be able to branch out. 

We get you love them and like their new stuff but jheeeez, "playing for themselves" .... 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Coldplay 24 would be a much worse booking that GnR 23.

Neil is the one that would disagree with that but then he wasn't paying £360+ for GNR to be there....funny how that turned out.

But yes, GNR had never headlined so you could use that statement.

1 hour ago, MEGABOWL said:

Yeah it would make sense if they’re planning on doing a lot of U.K. shows in 2025. Foos effectively used it as an ad for their live shows, think we’ll see more big acts doing that. I’m still not totally convinced it’s them but it would make sense.

I'd be massively shocked if they had the 5 day gap from France until the Friday which another Lyon date could make that less and missed Glastonbury while playing Werchter. 

1 hour ago, MEGABOWL said:

That gap would allow them to do Werchter and (sounds mad but I have heard it’s a possibility) TRNSMT

That'd definitely not happening as they are in Rome.

6 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Unfortunately that's not how it works. Their success. wealth and life is down to their fans. To say that,  is like a big F U to their fans who gave them that platform to be able to branch out. 

We get you love them and like their new stuff but jheeeez, "playing for themselves" .... 

They're lads, trying to have a nice life. Creating the same boring (to them) tunes isn't fun to them, clearly. They cater for their fans with their live shows. They stay sane in the studio by making interesting music that they find interesting. 

Good on em. 

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I would imagine the biggest attraction from the festival's point of view is that they'll play for free

(potentially giving them additional wedge to throw at Madge or Rihanna)

Not sure whether this is still the case or not, or if it would still apply going forward - but I believe that the first couple times they headlined (and played "for free"), technically speaking it was that their fee was donated to Oxfam as an additional payment from the Festival rather than put back into the artists budget.

2 minutes ago, northernangel said:

Atmosphere was great where I was. The crowd is also massively different at Glastonbury now since they booked a lot more younger and Reading type acts then didn't used to.

Atmosphere was great where we were this year. Looks like we both just like fun gigs 🙂

10 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

AC/DC are heavily rumoured for Hellfest which is the same weekend.

Normally i'd say bleh, Friday at Hellfest and sunday at Glastonbury is easy enough, but AC/DC are absolutely bloody ancient and would ideally give themselves a nice old rest between massive headline slots! 

5 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Normally i'd say bleh, Friday at Hellfest and sunday at Glastonbury is easy enough, but AC/DC are absolutely bloody ancient and would ideally give themselves a nice old rest between massive headline slots! 

Believe Hellfest is also on Thursday, so they could have a 2 day break in between in theory.

15 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Yeah it's feasible and I'd love to see it, but I think its more likely that they play Download.

For me there is a collection of bands who are now at the point whereby if we book them they are just a seriously unimaginative option. One of them is my favourite band in the world Radiohead. If they picked them then damn right I would be there but I would also agree that it's not an imaginative headliner.

The other groups for what it's worth are

AM

Coldplay

Foos

Muse

The Killers

They would all draw a crowd no doubt every time they play but they have all played too often for it to be anything to get too excited about.

You can get away with one of these if your other 2 headliners are genuinely new and original but I'd love to see a few festivals without any of those names gracing the Pyramid stage.

I'd personally love to see a couple of risks taken with headliners. I definitely want to see at least 2 female headliners. If one falls through go find another one.

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The V Festival Lads

Not just that factor but I've been going since 2010 and I think at least one of them has appeared every year. They also do lots of their own gigs. I'd personally just like to see something a little braver.

This year I had more issues with AM than GnR just because it feels a bit unoriginal.

I appreciate there are budget issues/availability issues etc and we don't know the full extent of talks that do go on but I'd imagine taking a chance on someone on the rise would also always be a budget option and some will work out and some won't and that's the gamble. That's what would be more exciting to watch.