2024 Headliners

Green Day are an absolutely fantastic live act - I’ve never listened to them but saw em with an ex-missus a few years back, as she bloody loved them. I was a tadge cynical beforehand but they were superb, and really do craft the whole thing brilliantly, it’s so well paced and charismatic and they’d just smash a headline set. They’ve got the tunes, the presence, everything. It should happen. 

blink 182 can headline Reading/Leeds, and stay there. Don’t headline anywhere else, it’s just not needed. Baaaad live band. 

Dua Lipa, Madonna and Depeche Mode sounds plausible. Obviously a huge (?) whether they would succeed in bagging Madonna. I reckon this is what Emily inferred when saying “if all goes to plan we will have two female headliners” or along those lines. 

If Madonna doesn’t materialise I think we get a more leftfield option (akin to GNR) and it might not be a female headliner. 

It always read to me that two female headliners next year was the goal, but could easily not happen due to them not getting who they want.

Edited by Matt42

Going to blindly carry on going with the following as my prediction;

Friday -  The 1975

Saturday - Dua Lipa (the woman already booked)

Sunday - Rhianna (the woman close to being booked, after dropping out in 2023)

Just now, JonSnow said:

Going to blindly carry on going with the following as my prediction;

Friday -  The 1975

Saturday - Dua Lipa (the woman already booked)

Sunday - Rhianna (the woman close to being booked, after dropping out in 2023)

Rihanna will have a 5 or so month old baby by the time the next festival takes place. She will not be playing.

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Rihanna will have a 5 or so month old baby by the time the next festival takes place. She will not be playing.

Per my google search 

Baby one pregenancy was announced 31/1/22 and born 19/5/22

Baby two pregenancy announced 12/2/23 and due date not revealed so it could be imminant.

But take your point that even with a 11 month old its a long shot.

But I see Madonna as a long shot also, and Miley/Olivia as even longer shots, so we start running out of names quite quickly

Edited by JonSnow

24 minutes ago, JonSnow said:

Per my google search 

Baby one pregenancy was announced 31/1/22 and born 19/5/22

Baby two pregenancy announced 12/2/23 and due date not revealed so it could be imminant.

But take your point that even with a 11 month old its a long shot.

But I see Madonna as a long shot also, and Miley/Olivia as even longer shots, so we start running out of names quite quickly

Dua locked in and trying for Madonna sounds like the most realistic outcome for me. If they don’t get Madonna then they may not have two female headliners.

Emily’s comment was always a “this is what we are aiming for” rather than a promise of what we will get.

Edited by Matt42

The baby won’t be a show stopper. Other people tour with kids, nannies etc. I still think she’s favourite for the slot that isn’t Dua and the 1975. If it isn’t her and they can’t get Madonna (likely) they’ll have to pivot to something else, possibly Dave. Agree with those who say Green Day would be a good shout one day.

Green Day for who I grew up with were massive. Even with people not into that kind of music.

Basket case &  Especially, Good Riddance Time of Your Life were absolute anthems. 

Ive seen Green Day 7 times. None since 2007. I cant say I revisit them often.

Would I be there for a Pyramid slot? 1000%.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Emily’s comment was always a “this is what we are aiming for” rather than a promise of what we will get.

Whilst true, it’s not gonna stop people losing it when/if we don’t end up with two female headliners. I can’t imagine she said it without being fairly sure that they have them locked in. 

38 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Never seen Green Day but would absolutely be there for a headline slot.

Festival should have booked them in the mid 00’s when American Idiot was huge.

That was back when Glastonbury almost exclusively dabbled in the indie side of rock and pop/punk was an exclusive to Reading/Leeds kind of thing. Now that Glastonbury has broadened its horizons a bit (and is running out of legacy headliners) Green Day make far more sense to eventually do it, although not sure how far up the list they’d realistically be.