Boomtown Chapter 2: The Twin Trials

a6l6e6x

So who’s planning on going?

After my first appearance this year I definitely want to go again and probably try drag a few extras with me

Will they try throw a bit more money into the line up or keep it focused on the theatre/storyline aspect. Personally I’m quite happy with the story and stage design taking up most of the budget

Can see the ticket demand being quite high due to the overwhelming positive feedback and footage on the socials

I'll definitely be going. I would imagine the line up will be similar to this years in terms of budget, but there is the possibility that they may have slightly bigger names playing as they no know that both Grand Central and Origin can handle big crowds. Believe that the idea is to keep line up as secret again.

8 hours ago, a6l6e6x said:

So who’s planning on going?

After my first appearance this year I definitely want to go again and probably try drag a few extras with me

Will they try throw a bit more money into the line up or keep it focused on the theatre/storyline aspect. Personally I’m quite happy with the story and stage design taking up most of the budget

Can see the ticket demand being quite high due to the overwhelming positive feedback and footage on the socials

the tiered pricing of the tickets helps to create the early ticket demand.

I will be there, really enjoyed it again this year. Probably go as far as saying it's my fav now.

Expect an increase in ticket pricing as per latest Comms. 

Loved the "if you left your crap behind, don't bother coming back" message. Too right! 

Really want to do the Oxfam route again. Decent safe camp, unlimited alcohol on entry, interesting shifts in amongst it all and showers, food vouchers etc. 

With Glastonbury probably going up and this also increasing realistically £640ish just for two festivals would be a little too far. 

If I can't do Glastonbury and end up doing that with Oxfam then maybe. 

Edited by Leyrulion

With price increases and everything else I can only realistically afford one festival next year and it will probably be Shambala.

Four Boomtowns is enough for me, I think if they don’t move back out the bowl it will feel like the same festival again, they have had the same core group of bands every year, story/ challenges are always similar.

plus I’m getting too old

15 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

With price increases and everything else I can only realistically afford one festival next year and it will probably be Shambala.

Very wise choice Johno, Shambala is in a class of it's own. If I could only do one that would be it.

29 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Not really familiar with shambala, similar vibe to boomtown with cool stages?

Shambala is way smaller, think 15k tickets, and way more family friendly, maybe 1/4 of all tickets are family, Quite a hippy vibe, more like someone shrunk Glastonbury down.

Lots of workshops, poetry, talks, theatre circus, and fun stuff for kids. 

Only a couple of very small ‘EDM’ stages (apologies for using that as a catch all) 

• Upvote 1

Having been to both this year, I can attest to the fact that they are very different festivals. They are both absolutely fabulous in their own ways though, I can't recommend them highly enough.

I would be hesitant to suggest they are that comparable, I wouldn't say "if you love one you will definitely love the other". There certainly is a lot of crossover in audience. But also there are plenty of Boomtowners who would find Shambala small/boring/lowkey in comparison and wouldn't "get it". And equally plenty of Shambalans wouldn't dream of going to a festival like Boomtown, as they will feel like it has got too big, is attracting the wrong crowd, or any other variety of similar reasons.

I could probably write an essay on the differences between them, but it's all pretty subjective, and I am meant to be working right now. 

I'll be going back to both next year, they were my top 2 this year.

20 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Totally different vibe. Shambala has genuinely the nicest, friendliest, most conscientious, and socially/environmentally aware crowd of any festival in the country and it's even close. None of those words could be used for Boomtown.

There's some theming around several of the stages, but nowhere near to the extent you'd get at Boomtown - it's more beautification than immersion. However there's a lot more variety musically than Boomtown aim for, with a focus on lots of small but cool things rather than big stages/acts. While there is some Drum and Bass at Shambala, it certainly doesn't dominate/overshadow the rest of the music in the way it does at Boomtown.

19 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

No idea, never been to Boomtown, but I'd be very surprised and delighted if it's anywhere near as loving as Shambala.

It's not. Despite their linked origins, they've ended up in very different places.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, incident said:

It's not. Despite their linked origins, they've ended up in very different places.

Shambala realised they were hurting the environment and went veggie instantly, like there was no debate, 100% renewable energy, electric site vehicles, actually believe what they have to say. Refuse to expand because it’s fine the way it is. Different ethos. 

Let’s not turn this into a shambala circle jerk (led by me). 

Boomtown does what they do very well 

19 hours ago, joeltg said:

Loved the "if you left your crap behind, don't bother coming back" message. Too right! 

This was great but judging by what I saw this year that will be a big percentage of people they're telling not to come back.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 1986 said:

This was great but judging by what I saw this year that will be a big percentage of people they're telling not to come back.

Theyll want to hope that all their crew come back having been worked very hard this year in the roasting sunshine, only to sell a stake of the festival to Live Nation etc.

6 hours ago, a6l6e6x said:

Shambala is alrite at night, but really cringey in the day time- basically loads of liberal do gooder familes thinking how awfully wonderful it is to be a such an 'alternative festie'. It is piss easy to break into though, which is obviously a big advantage although you cant go into the woods without a wristband. Just wait until night-time when they clear away the gash roller disco and turn the tent into a bit of a rave den and it gets decent. 

1 minute ago, CauliflowerEar said:

It is piss easy to break into though, which is obviously a big advantage although you cant go into the woods without a wristband. Just wait until night-time when they clear away the gash roller disco and turn the tent into a bit of a rave den and it gets decent. 

They weren't checking wristbands this year, but the woods were a bit of a let down this year. Only one venue, which when I was there was playing dull ambient stuff.

The "rave den" was superb on Friday and Saturday night.

21 hours ago, dumski said:

Live Nation just purchased a Reusable cup System business for £5mill - Turn

that'll be in no doubt soon enough

https://www.livenationentertainment.com/2022/09/live-nation-shifting-to-turn-reusable-cup-system-at-events-to-reduce-environmental-impact/