All Points East 2023

gfa

4 hours ago, ilovelanegan said:

Having to sell my APE Strokes ticket for today as my neck has just gone into spasm 😭

We got Team tickets so it was £69 - anyone want to make me an offer??

Sold mine but now have 1 more Strokes ticket available as my sister's boyf has a family emergency 😕 Can transfer via AXS if anyone is still looking?

NOW TAKEN - thanks

Edited by ilovelanegan
no longer available
  • Like 1

@Biz33kindly transferred me a Strokes ticket but traffic is sh*t and not sure I can get there and in by 8 (which is when entry has to be by according to the ticket), so happy to transfer on to someone else if anyone’s keen. PM me. If not I will just chance it / watch from the skate park as per my original plan 🙂 

26 minutes ago, collectivisedfarming said:

I haven't seen the strokes since the second album tour but my god this is sh*t. Is this what they've been like for the past fifteen years?

Good sets by Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Warmduscher, Picture Parlour and Be Your Own Pet saved the day but my god what a pile of steaming sh*t the strokes are these days. 

What specifically was sh*t about it? I’ve enjoyed their last few gigs where they generally were in tune and banged out the hits.

9 minutes ago, xxialac said:

What specifically was sh*t about it? I’ve enjoyed their last few gigs where they generally were in tune and banged out the hits.

I thought it was great. Sound was shite to the right of the stage. Don't think we can blame that on the band. Move centrally, it sounded good no matter how far back you moved in my experience. 

Julian talked shite as usual but the setlist was excellent IMO. Last Nite three songs in, the mega fans got Ode to the Mets, they found time for Reptilia, Someday etc too. 

I went in with low expectations (I'm a huge fan but they've got a ropey rep at the best of times) but I thought they were good. 

Amyl & the Sniffers, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Walkmen were brilliant. 

Sound was bad on the right for me too, but got better when I moved back centrally. Yeah Yeah Yeahs highlight of the day for me, but also good sets by Amyl and the Sniffers (complete with downpour), Angel Olsen and the Walkmen. 

50 minutes ago, xxialac said:

He can't or won't sing. Just honking vocals, people streaming to the exits. Honestly one of the worst headline festival sets I've ever seen. Band not that tight either to be honest. I stuck it out as far as I could.

Really enjoyed the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and plenty of other good sets during the day and so pleased we came.
Was shocked by the Strokes though, the vocals sounded terrible. I have never heard people in the crowd booing before and so many people left early (us included).
Saw the Strokes when they toured their second album and was looking forward to seeing them tonight, I didn’t expect that. 

Edited by Mr Boo

3 minutes ago, collectivisedfarming said:

He can't or won't sing. Just honking vocals, people streaming to the exits. Honestly one of the worst headline festival sets I've ever seen. Band not that tight either to be honest. I stuck it out as far as I could.

Agree, I think it was the worse headlining performance I have ever seen 

• Upvote 1

Well it was going so well until The Strokes….odd day in that I managed to get front row on the barrier for The Walkmen, Amyl and the Sniffers and Black Midi and thoroughly enjoyed them all. In particular Amyl and the Sniffers were superb. Amy is an absolute superstar. The crowd was wild for them and Black Midi.

The Strokes was just flat from the get go. Sound was of course poor to the right of the stage. But that wasn’t only it. There was just a lack of connection. People around me were bored. I kept trying to move spots to find the spark but never did.

Superb day, bar a bit of The Strokes (right of stage sound was terrible). Managed to move centrally and enjoyed most of it! 
on the side of stage note, feel especially sorry for those in the access viewpoint areas, who can’t move and peruse… 

Agree with everyone else that sound for Strokes didn't help but that wasn't the only issue, just felt oddly paced and never got going. The hits came across well so guess in hindsight I'll look back and think it was fine, and a band I'd wanted to see ticked off. 

Walkmen and YYYs great, Angel Olsen fantastic (even without Shut Up Kiss Me!)

First time at APE had a brilliant time, even after getting soaked during Amyl and the sniffers. My highlight was the Yeah yeah yeahs. Karen O was incredible and she knew how to work her crowd I watched until the end and had a great time pogo-ing to Date with the night. The Strokes on the other hand were a joke. Sound issues aside I thought Julian was just so flat with the crowd. I left early because I got bored coming from the high of YYYs they didn't play any of their good tunes early enough and I saw others leaving in droves. So disappointed with them 😞

1 hour ago, JC73 said:

First time at APE had a brilliant time, even after getting soaked during Amyl and the sniffers. My highlight was the Yeah yeah yeahs. Karen O was incredible and she knew how to work her crowd I watched until the end and had a great time pogo-ing to Date with the night. The Strokes on the other hand were a joke. Sound issues aside I thought Julian was just so flat with the crowd. I left early because I got bored coming from the high of YYYs they didn't play any of their good tunes early enough and I saw others leaving in droves. So disappointed with them 😞

Not sure I can agree with "they didn't play any of their good times early enough" when they threw out Last Nite third, opened with What Ever Happened?, and played YOLO, Juicebox and Under Control in the first half... 

YYYs (and Karen in particular) and Amyl absolutely smashed it, though, am in total agreement there. 

Seems I'm in the tiny minority who had a good time at the Strokes. That's a shame but I'm glad I went (even with the absolute downpour during Amyl!) 

Overall APE thoughts - cans at the bars are handy as it keeps the queue moving and it's easy to buy a few at a time. The only place with long queues was the craft bar where they did pints. The toilets were mostly fine, but man the range of food is terrible. Just endless chips and burgers at high prices. Could have done with some more variety but given that it's a one day job rather than 2-3 days of eating there, it isn't too big a deal really.