Cost of Living and Glastonbury

Crazyfool01

cost of living and Glastonbury   

344 members have voted

1. 1. with the cost of living rising will this impact the decision to buy Glastonbury tickets ?

• Yes ... im already priced out
    • I will try in oct but a decent chance I wont pay off balance
    • I will try in Oct and it likely ill pay off balance but not 100% sure
    • I will purchase them as usual and pay off as usual

4 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

You’re missing the point, if you can drop £100 on a blur ticket and the associated costs for a few hours entertainment, Glastonbury won’t be a cost issue either. The point is there was extremely high demand for expensive events like Blur and Peter Kaye, so there is little evidence the cost of living crisis is affecting peoples ability or desire to spend money on gigs etc. if anything more people would probably prioritise spending money on Glastonbury over one off gigs, so if they’re still spending money on very expensive one off gigs they’re going to be putting down £50 for Glastonbury.

Where do you think budgets get squeezed during a cost of living crisis ? Luxury items ? 

6 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Where do you think budgets get squeezed during a cost of living crisis ? Luxury items ? 

You keep saying this, but where is the evidence? You have a Glastonbury ticket don’t you? Presumably you’re immune from the cost of living crisis then? I think your argument would carry more weight if you’d personally opted out of a buying a ticket, it doesn’t make much sense to be arguing against it otherwise.

My current Glasto ‘group’ has swelled from under 6 to 18 since I’ve been going. We’re all normal people, nobody is rich, there are three people in the group that have more than one child, they all have normal run of the mill jobs but they’re all still in for Glastonbury. There bills have gone up but they still all put £50 down for Glastonbury.

It’s all very well keep repeating costs have gone up so people are bound to cut luxuries, but there is literally no evidence that was the case when it came to putting £50 for Glastonbury.

Edited by Jose Pose

6 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Yes, but I think his point is that if you have some money left to drop on gigs, you would probably prioritize a great-value-for-money festival over a couple of stadium gigs.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, clasher said:

Yes, but I think his point is that if you have some money left to drop on gigs, you would probably prioritize a great-value-for-money festival over a couple of stadium gigs.

And my point is that Glastonbury is much more expensive than seeing a single stadium gig …. People will prioritise differently . If I knew I couldn’t afford the festival there would be little point me putting down a deposit . 

4 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

You keep saying this, but where is the evidence? You have a Glastonbury ticket don’t you? Presumably you’re immune from the cost of living crisis then? I think your argument would carry more weight if you’d personally opted out of a buying a ticket, it doesn’t make much sense to be arguing against it otherwise.

My current Glasto ‘group’ has swelled from under 6 to 18 since I’ve been going. We’re all normal people, nobody is rich, there are three people in the group that have more than one child, they all have normal run of the mill jobs but they’re all still in for Glastonbury. There bills have gone up but they still all put £50 down for Glastonbury.

It’s all very well keep repeating costs have gone up so people are bound to cut luxuries, but there is literally no evidence that was the case when it came to putting £50 for Glastonbury.

Have to agree with this. Just look at the facts, in the last couple of weeks:

• Glastonbury sold out in about the usual time (I think we can all agree the delays were down to technical issues rather than lack of demand);
  • Peter Kay shifted well over a million tickets in day;
  • Pulp sold out Finsbury Park, a few arena shows and a few other dates in a morning;
  • Blur will inevitably sell out Wembley very quickly tomorrow and most likely add another night;

We can, and have, complain about the pricing but the above proves that even in a cost of living crisis there is still huge demand for these big events.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

• Glastonbury sold out in about the usual time (I think we can all agree the delays were down to technical issues rather than lack of demand);
  • Pulp sold out Finsbury Park, a few arena shows and a few other dates in a morning;
  • Blur will inevitably sell out Wembley very quickly tomorrow and most likely add another night;

We can, and have, complain about the pricing but the above proves that even in a cost of living crisis there is still huge demand for these big events.

Were you not nearly priced out of pulp ? 

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

FOMO is a strong feeling I guess.

52 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

And a 5 day event has significantly higher costs than a 1 evening event 

Absolutely, but that's too clunky a comparison. Glastonbury is a different animal, you know that. It's relatively protected from the economic situation because of what it represents culturally. At time of sale two weeks ago, despite the economic situation and predicted difficulties going into next year, demand was clearly unaffected. That isn't to say that nobody made the decision not to try for tickets because of financial pressures because I'm sure that occurred too, but not enough to affect the overall numbers of people trying. Whether that changes in October 2023, we'll see. But if we have a repeat of 2022's weather, atmosphere and media coverage, I have little doubt that we'll be in exactly the same position again. Control of the weather aside, the festival will work hard to ensure that hype continues to keep demand as high.

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

No it was Blur I complained about but ended up cracking and putting it on my credit card.

I've bought tickets to all four of those events in the last couple of weeks.

Got that mixed up … but my point being even for the most diehard we all have a threshold … for some that will be lower . 

I wonder how many people will forgo big holidays abroad for the next few years but do things here instead including festivals and gigs. We were considering going abroad next year but with 2 kids it will be 2-3 grand so if we did it would have been no Glastonbury. We decided against it with having to re mortgage next year but will still go to Glastonbury and that will be our main holiday next year. Hopefully we will get the weather like we are abroad. 

In addition to the shows I've listed above:

• Arctic Monkeys have sold out a dozen or so stadium dates;
  • Springsteen has sold out two night in Hyde Park and few stadia;
  • Pink's first BST night has sold out GA tickets and the second night is looking sparse;
  • Billy Joel has sold out GA tickets for Hyde Park;

Every major show or tour that's announced these days is selling. There is little evidence that rising prices or cost of living increases is affecting demand.

What is interesting however is that the majority of these shows appeal to slightly older, and more affluent people, so a different question would be are younger people being priced out? It's really been noticeable in the last few years that BST have shifted their booking policy away from younger acts (they still have one or two a year) towards the Springsteens, Stones, Eagles and Adeles who not only guarantee sell outs but bring a more affluent crowd into the park.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

• Pink's first BST night has sold out GA tickets and the second night is looking sparse;

Every major show or tour that's announced these days is selling. There is little evidence that rising prices or cost of living increases is affecting demand.

What is interesting however is that the majority of these shows appeal to slightly older, and more affluent people, so a different question would be are younger people being priced out? It's really been noticeable in the last few years that BST have shifted their booking policy away from younger acts (they still have one or two a year) towards the Springsteens, Stones, Eagles and Adeles who not only guarantee sell outs but bring a more affluent crowd into the park.

I've always thought the reason this stuff is still selling well is because all these big events are a luxury anyway, and whilst the cost of living hits everyone it hurts lower incomes more who wouldn't go to these events anyway. Hence spending habits of more well off (not saying rich or loaded by any means) aren't that affected.

2 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

I've always thought the reason this stuff is still selling well is because all these big events are a luxury anyway, and whilst the cost of living hits everyone it hurts lower incomes more who wouldn't go to these events anyway. Hence spending habits of more well off (not saying rich or loaded by any means) aren't that affected.

Oh definitely, and I do wonder if the current climate is making the bookers for stadia and festivals a little more risk adverse and doubling down on older acts they know will be guaranteed sellers.

APE have Stormzy, that will be an interesting barometer for sale.

Although inflation is high and everything is fucked at the moment it simply has not hit for the vast majority of Glasto go-ers. Most are middle class and even if budgets get tighter it is still within reach for people, 

The recession has barely hit yet and inflation isn't going anywhere. I would expect less people to pay the balance than usual.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

It's seems clear that Blackpink fans are disproportionately affected by the cost of living crisis 😀

From our experience, demand definitely felt equal or higher this year. Of our group of 72, large amounts who have been going since the 90s and all well-versed in the ticket day process, only 12 got tickets (2 transactions). I’ve since then found out that loads of friends who have never been before managed to get big batches of tickets - which is great as it means there’s lots of newbies getting to experience the festival. For every person currently priced out of the festival, there will be a couple of people clambering to get that spot. 

As others have said, the cost of living crisis hasn’t yet hit most people - the four shows mentioned coupled with other massive shows (arctics etc.) all selling out within the hour demonstrate that there is still lots of demand and lots of disposable income still to be played with. Even smaller gigs here in London are selling out at rapid rates and there’s no noticeable drop off in queues at the pub bar or trying to book restaurants. 

Now the unknown is what happens over the next few months when things start to be felt more properly. That could mean a few more tickets back in the pot for the resale and it will be easier - but it just as easily might not as there will still be a lot of people with cash to spare eager to get tickets (you only need to look at the rise in luxury glamping places around the site to see that)

Cost of living crisis is definitely effecting live gigs. It's just doing it in a weird way. I can tell you for certain that for mid- and low- level acts, sales are down. Academy tour sales are down. Pub gig sales are down. Stadium sales are up, and I think it's down to the public becoming more risk averse. They're paying £150 for the "sure thing" of a massively known artist, as their one big thing of the year, rather than spending £30 on five different artists. It also means only one set of transport costs, childcare costs etc.

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

Cost of living crisis is definitely effecting live gigs. It's just doing it in a weird way. I can tell you for certain that for mid- and low- level acts, sales are down. Academy tour sales are down. Pub gig sales are down. Stadium sales are up, and I think it's down to the public becoming more risk averse. They're paying £150 for the "sure thing" of a massively known artist, as their one big thing of the year, rather than spending £30 on five different artists. It also means only one set of transport costs, childcare costs etc.

Definitely. I also find it quite funny that the massive acts costs are going through the roof, yet smaller bands/artists that I see are almost the same year on year. Whilst they're by no means huge, a shame ticket was £19 today which is like the same price that they were last tour and a tiny bit more than the tour before.

*Cue someone coming in and saying astronomical prices for Stadium gigs is valid because it's at a much bigger scale.

32 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I think we can say at the "crown event" of the market there is still demand, it's the second level downwards that will see the pain.

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

That’s weird because I’ve taken the exact opposite stance, would rather spend £25 on a ticket for a less well know act and have decided I won’t touch stadium gigs at £100 a pop. I’ve been to three £25 ish gigs in the past two months.

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

It will be interesting to see if some of the mid-sized festivals suffer from fewer ticket sales this year. One-off events like the ones you've listed should be fine and as I said above, Glastonbury is protected to a certain degree because it's Glastonbury. I said before that for avid gig and festival goers, it maybe a one and done this year, rather than attending two, three or four events/festivals