latitude 2023

jj200

Would have liked at least one female headliner, hopefully, BBC Sounds is all women to even it out a bit.

Pulp, Metronomy, The Big Moon, Black Midi, Young Fathers and The Beths all go straight into the must-see category for me.

The Proclaimers and Lightning Seeds will both be worth a watch.

Hoping for a strong BBC Sounds headliner opposite George Ezra, saw him headline once and he was good but I don't care enough to watch it again.

• Upvote 1

Not a bad start at all. Would've just been nice to see a slightly different headliner in the space of George Ezra, had Florence been there I would've been over the moon.
Nevertheless, think this is more than enough to entice me back next year. I still really missed it last year even though the lineup didn't have much for me.

5 minutes ago, Raindow Rhythms said:

Pulp is a brilliant headliner. Beyond that, it's too IOW for my liking. It's a bit novelty.

Yup I 100% would’ve thought that was a IOW lineup if it didn’t have the festival listed. Pulp is a great get - the rest is incredibly beige aside from a couple of acts. 

It could look something like this:

Obelisk:

Friday: Pulp, Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott

Saturday: Paolo Nutini, Metronomy

Sunday: George Ezra, The Kooks

BBC Sounds:

Friday: The Big Moon

Saturday: Lightning Seeds

Sunday: Black Midi

If they dare clash Black Midi and Pulp, I will be livid.

1 minute ago, chrisplowman said:

Do we think The Big Moon, Lightning Seeds and Black Midi are the BBC Sounds headliners?

Surely Lightning Seeds are just on the Obelisk the same day as Pulp for 90s nostalgia day?!

1188968321_latitudeposter23.thumb.jpg.17bacb38ba4cf75294f135f449a0cff5.jpg

I think the subs will be out of: The Kooks, Metronomy, Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott

I've realised there's actually 6 names in the third section of the poster. I imagine these will be the third downs, and the BBC Sounds headliners.

So, Lightning Seeds could be third down on the Friday.

I'd imagine that Black Midi will definitely be a BBC Sounds headliner, as them third down on the Obelisk would be interesting to say the least.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, chrisplowman said:

Do we think The Big Moon, Lightning Seeds and Black Midi are the BBC Sounds headliners?

Surely Lightning Seeds are just on the Obelisk the same day as Pulp for 90s nostalgia day?!

My prediction is Big Moon, Black Midi, Young Fathers headlining BBC Sounds, with Lightning Seeds, Proclaimers, Sophie Ellis Bextor on Obelisk

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, evannn said:

My prediction is Big Moon, Black Midi, Young Fathers headlining BBC Sounds, with Lightning Seeds, Proclaimers, Sophie Ellis Bextor on Obelisk

Yeah, I agree with this. Lightning Seeds, Proclaimers and Sophie Ellis Bextor are typical Obelisk vibe.

I'd guess something like:

Friday: Pulp, Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott, Lightning Seeds

Saturday: Paolo Nutini, Metronony, Proclaimers

Sunday: George Ezra, The Kooks, Sophie Ellis Bextor

BBC Sounds:

Friday: Young Fathers

Saturday: The Big Moon

Sunday: Black Midi

I'm really hoping they don't clash Black Midi and Pulp, as they're my two must sees currently.

Anyway, Pulp > The Big Moon > Black Midi aren't a bad trio for me. I'd be content with The Big Moon, but I've seen them a couple of times. I could easily be swayed if there was something interesting on Sunrise.

I think Lightning Seeds will do the Saturday midday slot that Supergrass and Shed Seven did in previous years.

Proclaimers to do the Glastonbury-style Sunday afternoon throwback slot.

Paul & Jacqui not big enough to sub. They played in 2014 early Friday afternoon.

Big Moon played in 2019. I find them a bit meh.

I think this lineup is a backward step from two consecutive good years. We've gone back to 2019.

Agree with most of the comments on here. Pulp are a great catch and will probably be rammed but the rest is a bit meh. I saw Metronomy last year at GM and they were good but a bit forgettable. Lightning Seeds and Proclaimers should be fun but I will wait to see what else is on the card before scaring the moths off my wallet. I’ll definitely be getting a ticket for Pulp somewhere though! 

I (sort of) get the excitement from some quarters, but apart from the excellent booking of Pulp and a tiny bit of Melvin bravery with Black Midi (I hope he puts them high up, they were sensational at EOTR even though I'm unsure I understand or even like them 😮 ) this is really, quite overtly "Man at Harvester Pub" music festival. There might be more on the undercard to pretend at credibility, but really? This is Shit. 

34 minutes ago, riverlodge said:

I (sort of) get the excitement from some quarters, but apart from the excellent booking of Pulp and a tiny bit of Melvin bravery with Black Midi (I hope he puts them high up, they were sensational at EOTR even though I'm unsure I understand or even like them 😮 ) this is really, quite overtly "Man at Harvester Pub" music festival. There might be more on the undercard to pretend at credibility, but really? This is Shit. 

Black Midi have played there a before, we saw them in the woods in 2018 when they were literally still at school and their debut album hadn’t come out yet… I felt the same, couldn’t take my eyes/ears off them but also don’t think I liked it 😂

I'd be surprised if all the BBC Sounds headliners are there.

Young Fathers i can see being one. Metronomy would be a likely fit.

Not sure on Black Midi and The Big Moon, they aren't big enough. All 3 BBC Sounds headliners could sell out Brixton Academy, they can't. Seems to lack a big dance act yet for me, unless that's Metronomy.

1 hour ago, fingers_mark said:

I'd be surprised if all the BBC Sounds headliners are there.

Young Fathers i can see being one. Metronomy would be a likely fit.

Not sure on Black Midi and The Big Moon, they aren't big enough. All 3 BBC Sounds headliners could sell out Brixton Academy, they can't. Seems to lack a big dance act yet for me, unless that's Metronomy.

Now that I think of it, I think we could be missing at least one. It's hard to say who they could be, and how many we're missing.

Young Fathers could definitely be one of them. They're playing some decent size venues on their tour, including The Roundhouse (3,300 capacity) and the Albert Hall (2,300 capacity). They don't really fit on Obelisk, so I think they'll either be subbing BBC Sounds, or headlining it.

I think Metronomy could headline sounds, but they could also play Obelisk. They sort of fit into the Modest Mouse slot 3rd from top this year. They would make sense 3rd down, subbing Obelisk or headlining BBC Sounds.

Black Midi and The Big Moon are probably too small, The Big Moon more so than Black Midi I'd say. The Big Moon would fit BBC Sounds and Obelisk, while Black Midi can only really work on BBC Sounds.

It would have been great to have a poster format where we could tell stage and day splits.

We really lucked out with the BBC Sounds headliners this year. Phoebe, Groove Armada and Fontaines were all playing some pretty big venues, with Phoebe pushing a crazy amount of tickets, with demand for lots more. Fontaines were booked for 2021, but had to cancel due to Covid, which means they were a bigger headliner than they were in 2021, but even with a 2021 level Fontaines, it's still a huge trio. I think it's the best trio of BBC Sounds (or equivalent) headliners they've ever had. So if we got something close to that level, I'd be very happy.

We could feasibly have none of the BBC Sounds headliners, or at a push, all three. I think we've probably got at least one. 

Yeah,  I think metronomy could be either high on the obelisk or bbc sounds headliner, they are quite hard to place, they played mid afternoon on the other stage at glasto this year and had a good crowd. Young fathers as well could be bbc sounds headliners, they are critically acclaimed and meant to be very good live, but again,  could have a good position on the obelisk like little simz this year. 

On 10/28/2022 at 8:35 PM, riverlodge said:

I would say that it is a very typical "modern" latitude first announcement. Some good, lots that doesn't look great.  It always fills up with more interesting acts, but you have to dig into the undercard once it is out. 

There is no getting away that they are going for a family market rather than a muso market though. 

The issue is we only have 14 acts when there are still probably another 30 to announce from the 2 main stages so I wouldn't read too much into it at the moment. I agree Metronomy or Young Father's probably make sense as a tent headliner but I still think there are other ones to be announced there. I also don't think the higher ranked acts on the poster are Obelisk subs 

We'll  probably get more of the lineup around January/February time when it's usually all announced 

In other news I've been listening to Pulp non-stop since they were announced, they're going to absolutely smash it 

• Upvote 1